Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Old May 23, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by holyPockets
I called and canceled this card on the same day its $59 annual fee posted (mid cycle). I called back when the statement cycle ended and a bill posted with a $59 balance to inquire about why there was a balance due on the account. Was told twice (after HUCA) that Alliant does not credit annual fees once they have been charged—even if canceled on the same day it is charged.

Anybody else experience this or should I HUCA some more?
I got this card a year ago. If you plan to cancel after the first year, set a reminder in your calendar 10 months from now to cancel the card. I waited until the annual fee was assessed, and they flatly refused to refund the fee upon cancellation. Also, they charged the annual fee the 1st of the month rather than waiting until my statement closing date. Neither of these two practices is standard in the industry. In fact, it's the first time I've experienced either.

Also, they use an outside processor to run their customer service for credit cards.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by danpeake
Not based on what others have said, I don't think. Was it referencing your bank account or the credit card?
I spoke to them this morning, and they said as long as I quit MSing with it they would keep the card open. This warning is from the recent VGC promotions where I only did about $30k. I've been putting some non-bonus organic on it, so I just plan to use it for that now I guess. It's disappointing it can't be used for volume on the obvious options for MS.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:08 am

Do they usually call to verify the application or can you apply solely online?
Also, has anyone tried to pay abroad? What is the exchange rate? Somebody posted that there is a 1% Visa ftf.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cdog999
Holy cow. Wish I would have known that. Guess I'll check back in a few months to make sure it was credited properly.
same here....knowing this fact too late for me too
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Is it pretty consensus that they do not refund annual fees? I just saw annual fees and saw this thread. I guess I just have to use this card for another year at 2.5%...?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
RE ANNUAL FEE

i opened the account in september.

i secure messaged alliant to get the low down. it looks like in June their annual fee procedure changed. I'm assuming the message appears on the statement date that the warning appears or otherwise there is a conflict in the two dates mentioned below potentially:

"Visa Signature Fee Waiver - UPDATED PROCESS as of 6/14/18

Signature cardholders can request to avoid paying the annual fee if they make the request within 30 days from the date on which the following message appears.. "Your next billing cycle will include your $59 annual fee.You may avoid paying the annual fee by contacting us at 800-328-1935 to close your account no later than 30 days from the statement date.

Thank you,

Julie :

Feedback
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:22 pm

Downgrading Alliant VISA Signature

I have a 1.5 year old Alliant VISA Signature card with a $59 fee. Does anyone know if Alliant able to product change this to one of their no fee cards? If so do they do this properly without a hard pull or a new card showing up on my credit report?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory
I have a 1.5 year old Alliant VISA Signature card with a $59 fee. Does anyone know if Alliant able to product change this to one of their no fee cards? If so do they do this properly without a hard pull or a new card showing up on my credit report?
I don't really understand the purpose of this unless you hold a Chase Sapphire Preferred or something. 2.5% cash back is unbeatable unless you travel and can redeem for more than 2.5 cpm.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I don't really understand the purpose of this unless you hold a Chase Sapphire Preferred or something. 2.5% cash back is unbeatable unless you travel and can redeem for more than 2.5 cpm.
For those who spend less than $11,800 per year, a no-fee 2% card is better than a $59/year 2.5% card.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Why not just get the Citi double cash card?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....without a hard pull or a new card showing up on my credit report?
Originally Posted by zack14
Why not just get the Citi double cash card?
Opening a DoubleCash card at Citi would require an inquiry and would show as a new account on FlawlessVictory's credity report.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I can report a successful product change and the entry in credit report shows the same original "account open date".
No hard pull as well.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
What did you downgrade to - the Platinum?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by surfmonkey89
What did you downgrade to - the Platinum?
It is listed in the account summary page as: Visa Platinum w/Rewards Plan.
surfmonkey89 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:19 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the signature card is now listed with an annual fee of $99? My annual fee is
about to post in a couple days and my last statement says it will be 59. Not sure if those who had
the card under the old annual fee are permanently grandfathered or not. I suppose I should look
through my past statements to see if this is mentioned at all

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.