FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Bank of America Alaska Airlines card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1815670-bank-america-alaska-airlines-card.html)

flyertalker9867674 Jan 3, 2017 9:20 pm

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

data point - had 2 personal and 2 biz cards. closed one of each in december. applied for both an Alaska personal and a Merrill card. Got the Merrill, denied for the Alaska. I can't say this with any surety but the impression I got from some of the recon reps was that the Merrill card carries more weight than the Alaska cards.

hightide Jan 4, 2017 8:36 pm

Do any of you have problems using the Alaska personal card for United award fees and taxes?

I tried paying for my United award fees and taxes online - it got declined. Called BofA and they didn't even see a record of an attempted charge. Tried again via phone - couldn't go through either. Before this, I have successfully used my card twice at other merchants.

sdsearch Jan 5, 2017 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by hightide (Post 27706602)
Do any of you have problems using the Alaska personal card for United award fees and taxes?

I tried paying for my United award fees and taxes online - it got declined. Called BofA and they didn't even see a record of an attempted charge. Tried again via phone - couldn't go through either. Before this, I have successfully used my card twice at other merchants.

I wonder if this:
has anything to do with it? Ie, where are you when making these United charges, and where is your home address (as far United is concerned)? United may be putting geographical restrictions of some sort on card use, perhaps?

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2017 11:59 pm

This is odd.

When I log into BOA I see my Alaska signature card but for my Business card it has 2 accounts and the $75 Af seems to be billed $50 to one account and $25 to another account.

Is this normal ? I only applied for and have one card. The accounts don't end in the same 4 digits and the CORP account balance is the balance of both accounts combined.

CORP Account - Alaska Airlines - XXXX $93.27

Alaska Airlines Business Visa - XXXX $43.27

ukinny2000 Jan 6, 2017 4:52 am

There are two different formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:

$50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)

$0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

You seem to have chosen the first one. Nothing to worry about in the sense that the miles will still accrue to you, but payments at the end of the month I believe I have to be made to the Corp account.

jkh2os Jan 6, 2017 1:29 pm

i'm sorry if this was answered somewhere else in this or another thread (searching on google didn't provide the answer)

i am wondering whether i was approved for the signature or the dreaded platinum.

i just applied for and was approved instantly for the "Alaska Airlines, Inc" credit card at a +$20000 limit, but it didn't say which one. does the high limit guarantee the signature card as i suspect?

when i log into the BoA CC application center it only gives the 'AS Inc' as the type of card, not the card designation. since i have read (here) that waiting until i receive the card will be too late to change, should i be calling the reconsideration number now?

thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

muji Jan 6, 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jkh2os (Post 27716294)
$20000 limit...does the high limit guarantee the signature card as i suspect?

Welcome to Flyertalk, jkh2os.
I think your suspicion is correct; the high credit limit indicates that it is a Signature card.

flyer4512 Jan 6, 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 27713847)
There are two different formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:

You seem to have chosen the first one. Nothing to worry about in the sense that the miles will still accrue to you, but payments at the end of the month I believe I have to be made to the Corp account.

I must have selected business level earning not realizing what it entailed. As long as I get the miles it's not a big deal

hightide Jan 7, 2017 4:11 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27710432)
I wonder if this:
has anything to do with it? Ie, where are you when making these United charges, and where is your home address (as far United is concerned)? United may be putting geographical restrictions of some sort on card use, perhaps?

My home address is a US address in my United profile.

sdsearch Jan 7, 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 27713180)
This is odd.

When I log into BOA I see my Alaska signature card but for my Business card it has 2 accounts and the $75 Af seems to be billed $50 to one account and $25 to another account.

Is this normal ? I only applied for and have one card. The accounts don't end in the same 4 digits and the CORP account balance is the balance of both accounts combined.

CORP Account - Alaska Airlines - XXXX $93.27

Alaska Airlines Business Visa - XXXX $43.27

As far as seeing two accounts, it is not only normal but common an multiple banks, not just BofA.

The Corporate Account at BofA is pretty much the same thing as what Citi (for its AA CitiBusiness card) calls the "master account". And Diners Club Professional cards have the same thing.

On the assumption that you might have multiple employees all use the same business card account but each have separate business card with a separate card number, business cards often set up one account overall for the business and then one account per person. It's somewhat superfluous when it's a sole proprietorship with no employees (per how you described your business when you applied), but many banks don't treat as a special case, it's simpler for them to just treat all businesses the same way with respect to this account hierarchy. (I don't see this at Amex with business cards, so they apparently handle it differently>)

The good news at BofA: When you cancel a business card, they cancel the associated Corporate account automatically. Over at Citi, is you don't explicitly ask them to cancel the "master account", they may not do so, and that could hurt your chances if you later want to reapply for the card if the "master account" from the previous card is still hanging around.

flyer4512 Jan 7, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27721134)
As far as seeing two accounts, it is not only normal but common an multiple banks, not just BofA.

The Corporate Account at BofA is pretty much the same thing as what Citi (for its AA CitiBusiness card) calls the "master account". And Diners Club Professional cards have the same thing.

On the assumption that you might have multiple employees all use the same business card account but each have separate business card with a separate card number, business cards often set up one account overall for the business and then one account per person. It's somewhat superfluous when it's a sole proprietorship with no employees (per how you described your business when you applied), but many banks don't treat as a special case, it's simpler for them to just treat all businesses the same way with respect to this account hierarchy. (I don't see this at Amex with business cards, so they apparently handle it differently>)

The good news at BofA: When you cancel a business card, they cancel the associated Corporate account automatically. Over at Citi, is you don't explicitly ask them to cancel the "master account", they may not do so, and that could hurt your chances if you later want to reapply for the card if the "master account" from the previous card is still hanging around.

I haven't had a CITI business card recently but I don't remember having a CITI Business account with different account numbers for my card and some other account. In fact I don't remember a "master" account at all.

When I had a CITI business card all of my charges posted under my Citi Business card whereas the annual fee is billed to two different BOA accounts for the Alaska card. This is what threw me for a loop, if both balances matched I could see it as some sort of master account.

Chase and Amex do not seem to have this sort of setup as I have cards open.

I'm getting a CITI Business AA soon so I'll guess I'll see the changes that must have been made since 2013, the date of my last Citi business application

Do you know if Citi keeps personal credit and Business credit separate like Chase does ?

I received a denial for too many apps for personal credit from Citi on November 7 and was planning on waiting 6 months to apply for any Citi cards but was wondering if I might be good to go for a business card next month , 3 months after the denial.

Superorb Jan 7, 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 27721278)
I received a denial for too many apps for personal credit from Citi on November 7 and was planning on waiting 6 months to apply for any Citi cards but was wondering if I might be good to go for a business card next month , 3 months after the denial.

They finally cut you off? ;)

flyer4512 Jan 7, 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 27721465)
They finally cut you off? ;)

Temporary slowdown, lol... Probably just the 2/65 day rule being revised to 1/60 or so I hear............meanwhile I found BOA ( 2 Alaska Cards) opened another Arrival and a Delta Platinum personal card

flyer4512 Jan 7, 2017 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 27713847)

I paid $93.27 to the corporate account and it left me with a $43.27 Credit and only Paid the $50 AF which showed on that account.

The account with the $43.27 balance still shows that same balance

Seems it stays that way until the statement posts then the $43.27 will be deducted from the actual business card account

Superorb Jan 8, 2017 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 27722788)
Temporary slowdown, lol... Probably just the 2/65 day rule being revised to 1/60 or so I hear............meanwhile I found BOA ( 2 Alaska Cards) opened another Arrival and a Delta Platinum personal card

^ Good deal.