Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
oh my, applied for biz cc but then recon closed early and was not able to call the same day.
advice?
should i call on monday or just let it float and take its course since now I will get hit with a second HP if i call on monday right?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:53 am

I don't recall my situation below being mentioned in any of the relevant threads; sorry if I missed it. After submitting my application for a personal card, I got the instantaneous response that it was under review. I was also given a reference number using which I could check my status. Doing so, I found my application had already been denied. If it was indeed immediate rejection, why did they not say so right away? Hence my question: is this their standard operating procedure, or is it possibly a glitch somewhere? I would just like to know whether I should move on or await further news. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by Likemiles; Nov 26, 2018 at 4:11 am Reason: forgot to mention it was the personal card, not business
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by frank_10b
oh my, applied for biz cc but then recon closed early and was not able to call the same day.
advice?
should i call on monday or just let it float and take its course since now I will get hit with a second HP if i call on monday right?
Need more info. Were you declined? Calling in will not create another HP. They may ask for 2 yrs of tax returns or maybe request that you open a $1500 CD. Call Monday and see.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:17 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by philemer
Need more info. Were you declined? Calling in will not create another HP. They may ask for 2 yrs of tax returns or maybe request that you open a $1500 CD. Call Monday and see.
Oh, wasn't the past process that you had to call in the SAME day to avoid another HP from boa/fia ?
I can call on Monday, I had a ckg acct with them but I just closed it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Any information about how many inquiries to stay under? How about new accounts in the last 12 months?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:32 am

I had 5/12 and got denied SMH
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I opened an AS personal and Biz account in the last two months and met the minimum spend. Miles for both posted. I got a hard copy flyer in the mail for a personal card with a 40K mile offer, with an offer code. Can I get a second personal card with the flyer offer code? 40K miles with 2K spend.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by yngdiego
I opened an AS personal and Biz account in the last two months and met the minimum spend. Miles for both posted. I got a hard copy flyer in the mail for a personal card with a 40K mile offer, with an offer code. Can I get a second personal card with the flyer offer code? 40K miles with 2K spend.
Most likely not. First of all, there is the B/A 2/3/4 rule, so you would have to wait a few weeks.

But worse (quothe the WikI):

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But
be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

So apparently not impossible, just very unlikely. Assuming you wait 2 months from those previous apps. But the more apps you've done in the past year or two, with ANY bank, the less likely you'll be approved, due to MAC (multiple applications for credit).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I was able to get a second personal card with one open a few months back, but the first had been open for a while with multiple annual fees paid. One possibility is that BOA is OK with issuing multiple cards to people who will hold them for the companion pass and pay annual fees, but is trying to screen out people who are just maximizing signup bonuses. For those reporting success or failure on applications with previous card(s) still open, it would be helpful to know how long previous card(s) have been open.

Last edited by WrightHI; Nov 29, 2018 at 5:56 pm Reason: sentence cleanup
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:11 am

I have a B of A Alaska Airlines Biz card currently (applied 2/2018)
I cancelled my B of A Alaska Airlines Personal card on October 30, 2018 but forgot to lower the credit limit of 13k before canceling.

I am good under the 2/3/4 rule. Within the last 2 years I applied for only one B of A personal and one B of A biz card (which I still hold)

Do I need to cancel the Alaska Biz card first before I apply for the Personal card to better my chance of approval?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by yngdiego
Congrats! I do not know the answer to your question, but my gut feel is they will deny you.

Can you share how many new accounts you had opened with any bank in the previous year before you got your AS personal and biz cards?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:44 pm

Have had multiple alaska cards over time, recently for the first time got a rejection for "have or have had too many accounts open with us, or our affiliates".

Is it over? Or is this just the 2/3/4 which I don't think I got hit by before. So now it is max 4 in 24 mos for ANY alaska card?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by jfish1000
So now it is max 4 in 24 mos for ANY alaska card?
AFAIK, it's not just Alaska cards, it's all flavors of B/A cards.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
How long does it take miles to post? My statement closed on 12/11 (yesterday) and I have a redemption I'm waiting to book, so just curious.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
How long does it take miles to post? My statement closed on 12/11 (yesterday) and I have a redemption I'm waiting to book, so just curious.

​​​​​​​If I recall, they post Sundays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.