Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Okay, so I have 24 total accounts currently open. 16 in the last 24 months.

As I said before, I was approved for the Alaska personal card with no issue. I will say that the last time I had opened any BoA card had been two years ago (no other accounts with them since and that one was an Alaska card) and when I cancelled the card 12 months later, I did downgrade it to the Cash Rewards card while making my available credit $1K. I did this to keep an established relationship with BoA while making sure I would be able to get the signature version when I applied again. Not sure if that helped or not. Still bitter about being denied for the Alaska biz card this time around when I check all of the boxes, but I should just let it go.
Interesting, we are almost identical (Cash rewards card, etc) but I am at 24/24. My apps will be slowing down since I think I've gotten all the cards I think I can get for the foreseeable future...except for any AA mailers I might get. I may try again in 6 months, but if they look at 24 months. it could be quite awhile before I can get approved again.
Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Denied Alaska personal card for too many hard pulls for other cards, 5 this year. Denied on app, then denied on recon. Rest of my credit profile is great, just too many pulls. Did Alaska business card app following day, went pending, called recon, they passed me to Fraud Prevention, they verified some info and passed back for approval which occurred immediately. I called recon and they said already approved. No docs needed. I do own a decade old real business.

So no personal card, but business card was easy. There is your DP. Cheers
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Worked for me, and I got approved for a second personal card.
What date did you receive your first personal card? I assume it's still open.

How many new cards in the past 12-24 months?

Wife is thinking about applying for a 2nd card too.

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
What date did you receive your first personal card? 8/10/17 (not my first, but my current) applied and approved 8/5/18 for the second current one. I assume it's still open. Yes, but it will be canceled soon.

How many new cards in the past 12-24 months? 5/12 9/24

Wife is thinking about applying for a 2nd card too.

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
What's the easiest way to see all apps/accounts across? Happy to look.
Credit Karma's free app and Experian's free account are both great for this.
Experian's free account lets you sort (two lists, one open cards, one closed cards) by date opened, and that makes it easier to figure out your ?/24 than on Credit Karma which used to let you sort but no longer does.

OTOH, Experian has bug where it claims every card was opened on the 1st of the month, so you must go to Credit Karma to find out the exact open date if it matters to you. (If you're definitely 3/24 or 8/24, it probably doesn't matter. If you just turned 4/24 this month, it may matter. OTOH, using Experian's date gives you the "worst case" of how Chase could possibly handle it, so maybe that's not so bad after all?)

Having said that, that's the way Chase counts 5/24 (cards showing your credit report, open or closed, with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months). BofA could count open and closed cards differently. It could even look at how long you keep cards open! And as mentioned, it could consider oodles of other factors, like your BofA history (in unknown ways). It's going to really hard for everyone to document all of the things that BofA could count.

For example, I got a Choice BofA card years ago when they were issuing them, and I've kept it for years longer after they dropped CHoice and converted it into a useless card. Does BofA like me better because I've kept one card open with them for many years (despite hardly using it, except for "flashing it" for Museums on Us )? (I don't see how it can hurt, but I can't tell for sure if it helps.)
Richard Berg and jiaogulan like this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 10, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks 236Dakota. I'll wait til she's had her current card for ~1 yr and then try another app. Love those annual Companion Fare certs.

Were you instantly approved for the 2nd card or did you have to call in?

Last edited by philemer; Aug 10, 2018 at 11:40 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Thanks 236Dakota. I'll wait til she's had her current card for ~1 yr and then try another app. Love those annual Companion Fare certs.

Were you instantly approved for the 2nd card or did you have to call in?
Instantly approved and used the new card to purchase a ticket; account number etc. were immediately provided.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 236Dakota

Instantly approved and used the new card to purchase a ticket; account number etc. were immediately provided.
Thx for the DP. Good to know it's possible to get a 2nd personal card w/o canceling the 1st one.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx for the DP. Good to know it's possible to get a 2nd personal card w/o canceling the 1st one.
In the past, it was possible for a few people but not for many others.

So I would say that one datapoint still only proves that it's possible for some people, and doesn't prove that's it's possible for everyone (or even necessarily for most people).

Similarly, at Citi, most people haven't been able to get a new AA business card without the previous one being closed, for years now, but a few (over the years) have been able to.

Banks don't always apply "rules" (that we perceive, but that the don't publish) universally, but it's usually hard-to-impossible to figure out why they let a few people do something that don't let most other people do.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:48 pm

Okay, so I have 24 total accounts currently open. 16 in the last 24 months.

As I said before, I was approved for the Alaska personal card with no issue. I will say that the last time I had opened any BoA card had been two years ago (no other accounts with them since and that one was an Alaska card) and when I cancelled the card 12 months later, I did downgrade it to the Cash Rewards card while making my available credit $1K. I did this to keep an established relationship with BoA while making sure I would be able to get the signature version when I applied again. Not sure if that helped or not. Still bitter about being denied for the Alaska biz card this time around when I check all of the boxes, but I should just let it go.
As an additional data point, my SO has almost an identical situation to me (her number of open accounts may be slightly less than I) and she applied for the personal version tonight and was instantly approved with an 18K credit line.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:22 pm

Just wanted to give my DP since there haven't been many lately. Applied 6/29 for Alaska Business card as sole prop, 0 yrs biz, $0 income used my name as business. They pulled TU (811) with EX frozen, decision was pending. Received a letter a week or two later asking for biz rev, tax documents, etc. Called BOA and rep said 2yrs of personal tax returns should suffice since it was a new business. Submitted my tax returns towards end of July through email. Ended up getting another alert that TU was pulled on 8/1 (809). Received letter on 8/9 with denial notice citing "insufficient information on the business bureau" and "business credit references have not been established for a sufficient length of time." Called biz recon today and while the rep was friendly she essentially restated the letter I received in the mail and said they could not approve me for an unsecured credit card. I then specifically asked if they could approve a secured credit card (phishing for the 1,500 CD) but she mentioned that was not available. I will probably call biz recon one more time but it did sound as the decision was definitive and final.

Personally, it sounds to me like the previous strategy is no longer a viable option. Maybe others will have better luck. Please post DPs based on your experience.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by savagedong
Just wanted to give my DP since there haven't been many lately. Applied 6/29 for Alaska Business card as sole prop, 0 yrs biz, $0 income used my name as business. They pulled TU (811) with EX frozen, decision was pending. Received a letter a week or two later asking for biz rev, tax documents, etc. Called BOA and rep said 2yrs of personal tax returns should suffice since it was a new business. Submitted my tax returns towards end of July through email. Ended up getting another alert that TU was pulled on 8/1 (809). Received letter on 8/9 with denial notice citing "insufficient information on the business bureau" and "business credit references have not been established for a sufficient length of time." Called biz recon today and while the rep was friendly she essentially restated the letter I received in the mail and said they could not approve me for an unsecured credit card. I then specifically asked if they could approve a secured credit card (phishing for the 1,500 CD) but she mentioned that was not available. I will probably call biz recon one more time but it did sound as the decision was definitive and final.

Personally, it sounds to me like the previous strategy is no longer a viable option. Maybe others will have better luck. Please post DPs based on your experience.
i think your experience is fairly typical. so far, i dont think i have seen someone who got approved after sending in all the required "biz documents". if there is , would like to know your MO.

most actually decided not to send in anything and abandon the app.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by savagedong

Thanks for sharing this. My SO was considering doing the same, but may abandon that idea now. As a point of reference, she applied with the exact same situation/informatin as you two years ago. BoA sent a letter asking for documents. Instead, she wrote a letter saying the business was brand new and she was pre-revenue etc. She ultimately got approved. This was two years ago and like the poster above mentioned, I haven't seen anyone approved who doesn't have a business in quite some time. In fact, as I have mentioned before, I even got denied and I have a real business (I switched from a sole prop to a corporation last year and they're claiming my business was too new and not established enough, even though I provided tax returns that backed up my existing business). Yes, I'm still very bitter!

Basically though, it's insanely hard to get the Alaska Biz card these days for everyone. Hoping I can maybe reapply early next year.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:12 am
formerly willbbiddy

I honestly think the best move is just to open a business checking w/ BOA and put 1.5-2k in it, let it sit (small debits) for 1-2 mo and then apply. BOA seems to be very averse to banking with people without a relationship. And if you do this and then cal recon, you can say that you'd like to avoid the monthly fee by charging $250/mo on an associated card. If underwriting wont let you through then I think you're SOL. It looks to me like BOA ate it on alaska miles and now they're only thaking big ballers/debt ridden people.

Edit: And if you're 1.5 CD you can instantly transfer the funds, saving you 1-2 weeks
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:03 pm

A family member was denied today. The stated reason was "Too many accounts were recently opened".

I am not sure how many Alaska cards she has had opened in the past 2 years, so I am not sure if the "too many accounts" is a reference to BofAm's "2-3-4" restriction, or if it is referring to "too many cards opened in general, from various banks". (They wrote that they had done an Experian credit check.)

Would anyone have an idea as to what the "too many accounts recently opened" likely is referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.