Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
Just did it two nights ago. Make sure you don't log in and go all the way to the pymt. page.
Worked for me, and I got approved for a second personal card.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
Data point: rejected online, rejected during recon for too many new accounts w/BOA + other banks and 'lack of deposit accounts with BOA'

Did AOR in November 2017, 2x citi, 1x BOA (Premium rewards), 1x Amex, 1x Barclay, 1x WF; previous BOA was Alaska in April '17 (AOR for 4 cards), last BOA before that was Alaska in 2016.

So I fall within the 2/3/4 but apparently they didn't like the AOR in November... bummer
I tried 2 apps (1 for me and 1 for SO) and got denied for both. Well outside 2;3/4, so it's all of our other apps. Is there any idea how many apps is too many and in what time frame? I was 6 in 6 months at time of app and SO was 5 in 6.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
I tried 2 apps (1 for me and 1 for SO) and got denied for both. Well outside 2;3/4, so it's all of our other apps. Is there any idea how many apps is too many and in what time frame? I was 6 in 6 months at time of app and SO was 5 in 6.
6 in 6 months of BoA cards in general? Alaska specifically? Any cards outside of BoA?

BoA is tight as hell on approvals now. Maybe you know this, but can't follow 100% what you're communicating.

EDIT - I see you said "all our other apps". I dunno, but if you're a card accumulator (not even using the word churner), then it seems like BoA doesn't want you. I TRIED for a personal Alaska because I was not afraid of a TU hard pull, but yeah, it didn't go anywhere. Alaska Business, potentially with the $1,500 CD secured card might be an option.

BoA and Barclays just laugh at you if you're LOL/24. Or said simpler, if App-o-Rama is in someone's vocabulary, good luck. Thank god for AMEX and Citibank.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Aug 8, 2018 at 9:54 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
... I dunno, but if you're a card accumulator (not even using the word churner), then it seems like BoA doesn't want you...
I'm not looking for judgement, just what BoA's current policies are now in regards to what they consider too many apps and in what time frame (yes, ALL apps). The poster I quoted was also in the same situation as I am.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:59 pm

As a counter to the above, I've been LOL/24 and just got the personal no problem. Got denied for the biz card despite having a legitimate biz (and having had the biz card in the past with the same biz) for some reason. But the reasons cited were not because of LOL/24. I will admit to not having checked my TU (which is also what they pulled) though.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not looking for judgement, just what BoA's current policies are now in regards to what they consider too many apps and in what time frame (yes, ALL apps). The poster I quoted was also in the same situation as I am.
You'll probably be looking for a long time. The only reason we know about certain bank policies is either because they're published, or leaked, or explained in denial letters.

The only policy we know for sure at BofA is:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

which was confirmed by blog site Doctor of Credit with a "reliable source" they have at BofA. (But that source was apparently not willing to explain every policy at BofA, just that specific one.)

We know BofA has other policies too, but we don't know enough about them to document them, we can just infer they have other policies from people's various denials.

Even Chase, for whom their 5/24 policy is well understood by "us", layers that on top of some sort of undocumented "too many pulls" policy that no one knows the specifics of. (But of course "too many pulls" only applies on whichever bureau(s) they pull.) Every bank probably has some sort of "too many pulls" policy, but I don' t of any other bank than Citi which has documented it (and how Citi documented it has changed since, without them re-documenting it).
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
As a counter to the above, I've been LOL/24 and just got the personal no problem. Got denied for the biz card despite having a legitimate biz (and having had the biz card in the past with the same biz) for some reason. But the reasons cited were not because of LOL/24. I will admit to not having checked my TU (which is also what they pulled) though.
I'd be curious to know if my LOL is bigger than your LOL :P
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:35 pm

Haha umm, I am not speaking judgement of you, I am speaking reality to the situation. I churn myself. This is FlyerTalk, we're just about all in the same situation here.

BoA (and Barclays) is not going to tell us what is too much. There are several datapoints in threads of people asking and the CSRs always say I am not giving your our playbook. Even Chase has 5/24, but you can get rejected for other reasons, or even shut down.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:37 pm

Congrats!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Haha umm, I am not speaking judgement of you, I am speaking reality to the situation. I churn myself. This is FlyerTalk, we're just about all in the same situation here.

BoA (and Barclays) is not going to tell us what is too much.
Yea, exactly, which is why WE need to figure it out ourselves. I am asking for actual DP's: how many apps are folks doing and getting approved (ie. 4/6 or 10/24) and how many apps are people doing and being rejected. I'm not asking for BoA to tell us, I know they never would. But the only way we ever find out how many apps in a certain time period is too many is by looking at the numbers, especially for those getting rejected. Since I would still like to get these cards, I'd like to have some idea of when an app will be successful.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:10 pm

I'd be curious to know if my LOL is bigger than your LOL :P
What's the easiest way to see all apps/accounts across? Happy to look.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:14 pm

Yea, exactly, which is why WE need to figure it out ourselves. I am asking for actual DP's: how many apps are folks doing and getting approved (ie. 4/6 or 10/24) and how many apps are people doing and being rejected. I'm not asking for BoA to tell us, I know they never would. But the only way we ever find out how many apps in a certain time period is too many is by looking at the numbers, especially for those getting rejected. Since I would still like to get these cards, I'd like to have some idea of when an app will be successful.
Fair enough, it is worth reminding people that we need details, not just "I was approved and I had a card 2 years ago" or "I was denied because too many accounts". That's one of the biggest points of this thread after all. I think what is happening though is more so this thread has just come to a screeching halt compared to a year ago, so there just isn't a lot of data to work off of.

Side note, I think BoA cares more about new established accounts, not apps/hard pulls. Just going off the denial language BoA uses and my gut feel.

Since PumpkinSmasher got an approval, it's worth more people going for the cards just to see I think. What's the worst case a TransUnion hard pull is going to cost you if you get rejected. I was rejected in Jan/Feb of this year, not sure exactly where I was at with new accounts, but it had to be have been around 12 accounts/24 months at that time. I also have a BoA Travel Rewards card from 2015 and a BoA Cash Back card from 2005. Personal checking account as well and I had a mortgage in the past with them. I wasn't a random customer. I did get the Alaska Business card however with a 0 yr, $0 revenue app, but I had to go through reconsideration and do a $1,500 CD.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:15 pm

Credit Karma's free app and Experian's free account are both great for this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:36 am

I just look at the meticulous spread sheet I keep :P Not sure how to look it up otherwise.
Because of how Citi is with their apps and how some seem to be getting slowed down around 6/6 (varies per person, of course), I've done my best to keep it right at 6/6 for the last year and a half. Apparently, this is too much for BoA.

Last edited by fredc84; Aug 9, 2018 at 2:44 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:21 am

Okay, so I have 24 total accounts currently open. 16 in the last 24 months.

As I said before, I was approved for the Alaska personal card with no issue. I will say that the last time I had opened any BoA card had been two years ago (no other accounts with them since and that one was an Alaska card) and when I cancelled the card 12 months later, I did downgrade it to the Cash Rewards card while making my available credit $1K. I did this to keep an established relationship with BoA while making sure I would be able to get the signature version when I applied again. Not sure if that helped or not. Still bitter about being denied for the Alaska biz card this time around when I check all of the boxes, but I should just let it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.