Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:02 am
Suspended

If you hold either of the BofA cards, is there any indication of that visible in your AS online account?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
If you hold either of the BofA cards, is there any indication of that visible in your AS online account?
Not that I can find, but why should it? Does anyone other than AA show this info? While I see that info as soon as I log in to AA, I've never seen that info on the United website when I've had a United card, and I've never seen that info on the Delta website when I've had a Delta card.

While I realize that seeing such info would be nice as a confirmation that you're going to get any airline benefits that come with the card, if it's not an industry standard and only something AA has done, I wouldn't expect AS to copy that, especially since they don't seem to be into copying anyone. (Which is nice so far, in that they haven't copied AA/DL/UA down the mileage-accrual-by-fare-paid path, they haven't copied AA/DL/UA down the EQD path, etc.)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:07 pm

I still have not applied as I realized I will not have the miles in time for my next trip anyway. So, I am going to do things the right way as much as I can.

My question--and this answer may be somewhere but I can't find it.

Why is it best to lower your credit limits on a card before you close it?

Should I also lower my limit on a card that I want to keep, but that has a really high limit that I will never come close to using?

thank you!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerinfomama2
Why is it best to lower your credit limits on a card before you close it?
Answered in the wiki above.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Answered in the wiki above.
Thanks, okay I found it. It has to do with that amount of credit not being available to me if I close a BofA card without lowering it first.

So, is it important to lower the amount of a non-BofA card that has a really high credit union when I will keep the card but do not need that high limit?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerinfomama2
So, is it important to lower the amount of a non-BofA card that has a really high credit union when I will keep the card but do not need that high limit?

Thanks!
Each banks does things differently. We have no idea how your credit union works. And does your credit union really have other cards you want to apply for?

The only other way that your credit union credit limit matters is to your overall credit profile / credit score, which you need to read up on elsewhere (it has nothing specifically to do with BofA or AS cards).

Other than how if affects your overall credit profile / credit score, what you have at other banks (other than perhaps frequency of card applications ) does not matter to BofA.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:28 am

Need advice.
Wife just got denied for the Personal Signature.
"Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Visa Card. Ms. Scuba, your application is in review" and gave a status: pending and a reference #. Looked up the reference number immediately and it said she was denied, and they are mailing reason via postal mail. Odd that it said it was for Alaska Airlines PLAT card - I used the link in the wiki for the 30k +$100 credit offer.

Here are her app dates:
07/17/16 Personal (canceled 3/21/17)
02/01/17 Business (canceled 5/21/17)
04/25/17 Personal (canceled 12/7/17)
08/02/17 Business (limit reduced from 10k to 2k two days ago)

#1 : Did we violate the anti-churn rules?
#2 . What do I do now - call in for recon? If so, what do we expect?
Side note: I don't think there was a hard pull. Credit sesame usually sends an alert immediately (i think), and there is no alert in there 3 hours after application.

Income is in 6 figures, credit score is well above 800.

Obviously, if calling in for recon, we need to do it soon (today) so any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by ScubaAddict; Mar 20, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:47 am

Actually - found out that they needed Experian unfrozen (we unfroze TU). BUT huge problem: The "Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Visa Card" that showed up on the "application pending" page DEFINITELY is wrong. We applied using this link from the Wiki:

30k mile offer with $100 credit and "Companion Fare™ Buy one ticket, get one for just the taxes and fees" , $75 AF, $1k spend:
https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...=861~carttest1
I am 100% sure I used that link. It applied us for the Platinum Plus card - though it clearly states it is for the Signature card. Actually lucky we got declined and called recon. They ended up canceling our application at our request.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Actually - found out that they needed Experian unfrozen (we unfroze TU). BUT huge problem: The "Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Visa Card" that showed up on the "application pending" page DEFINITELY is wrong. We applied using this link from the Wiki:

I am 100% sure I used that link. It applied us for the Platinum Plus card - though it clearly states it is for the Signature card. Actually lucky we got declined and called recon. They ended up canceling our application at our request.
You might want to read few pages back as this has been widely discussed. BofA has both versions of the card and you have no control on what they will issue you
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by vm81
You might want to read few pages back as this has been widely discussed. BofA has both versions of the card and you have no control on what they will issue you
Oh - so there is no way to apply for the Signature card, as they will randomly choose which card you get?

I have read several pages back, and it appeared that some were approved for a lower line of credit (which only qualified them for the Platinum Plus - but I had assumed because they either had lower income, or BofA decided they had already been extended their limit they were willing to give) I didn't realize it was random.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:56 am

Oh - so there is no way to apply for the Signature card, as they will randomly choose which card you get?

I have read several pages back, and it appeared that some were approved for a lower line of credit (which only qualified them for the Platinum Plus - but I had assumed because they either had lower income, or BofA decided they had already been extended their limit they were willing to give) I didn't realize it was random.
If they can't approve you for a CL >$5k you get the lower card. Info in the wiki.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
If they can't approve you for a CL >$5k you get the lower card. Info in the wiki.
Thank you for taking the time to answer, but that doesn't help much. I have read the wiki numerous times. I am aware that <5k credit line only qualifies you for a Platinum Plus.

My initial question was why my wife would be declined with a 6 figure income, and very high credit score - maybe she violated the churning 2/3/4 rules - so I asked (because I am still unsure if business cards are pulled into those rules - some posts state that they are not factored in, while other posts, simply by omitting the information, imply that business cards are factored in to the churning rules). So I posted her application history to see if some nice and knowledgeable person here could tell me which it was, and if she did/didn't break the rules (hence a 'possible' reason for the denial). We later ascertained from recon that the denial was due to credit being frozen - but this does not answer my initial question - did we violate the churn rules? I also noted that on our 'status pending' page that it states it was for the Platinum Plus card, but I was 100% sure I applied for the Signature card.

@vm81 saw my question and replied that there is no way to control what card you are approved for. I thought that was unusual that there is no control - (assuming the card you were approved for had to have at least something to do with credit worthiness and income) so I asked about it. Again, I am aware of the CL requirement, which didn't seem to apply in our case (unless 6 figure income routinely don't qualify for credit lines above 5k).

I guess if there is anyone who knows if we broke the anti-churn rules, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:09 am

Thank you for taking the time to answer, but that doesn't help much. I have read the wiki numerous times. I am aware that <5k credit line only qualifies you for a Platinum Plus.

My initial question was why my wife would be declined with a 6 figure income, and very high credit score - maybe she violated the churning 2/3/4 rules - so I asked (because I am still unsure if business cards are pulled into those rules - some posts state that they are not factored in, while other posts, simply by omitting the information, imply that business cards are factored in to the churning rules). So I posted her application history to see if some nice and knowledgeable person here could tell me which it was, and if she did/didn't break the rules (hence a 'possible' reason for the denial). We later ascertained from recon that the denial was due to credit being frozen - but this does not answer my initial question - did we violate the churn rules? I also noted that on our 'status pending' page that it states it was for the Platinum Plus card, but I was 100% sure I applied for the Signature card.

@vm81 saw my question and replied that there is no way to control what card you are approved for. I thought that was unusual that there is no control - (assuming the card you were approved for had to have at least something to do with credit worthiness and income) so I asked about it. Again, I am aware of the CL requirement, which didn't seem to apply in our case (unless 6 figure income routinely don't qualify for credit lines above 5k).

I guess if there is anyone who knows if we broke the anti-churn rules, please let me know. Thanks!
This has been going on forever. 3 or 4 years ago, I was approved for a Plat. I called Recon, who then approved me for a Sig in about 2 min. So I clearly qualified for a Sig, yet they randomly approved a Plat. It makes no sense, but this Is how they are.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb

People are answering you but you are not understanding their answer.

A component missing from your understanding perhaps is that CL is not immediately freed up when closing a card. A bank may only be willing to extend XX,XXX total credit line exposure to any one individual. Even though you have closed those cards, the credit lines still remain allocated for XX months. If that is the case with her (and it appears to be the case) then their system will only automatically offer X,XXX credit for the new app. If that amount is less than 5k then they appear to give you a lesser product line that doesn't require the 5k credit line.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:57 am

I applied for BIZ version more than one month's ago, and got the letter asking additional information. Since I applied as new business, the only thing I emailed them is my personal tax returns for the past 2 years. I received a phone call from them 10 days ago to go over some routine income questions, and the analyst said she is going to recommend approval. Finally yesterday I got an email from BOA that my business card was approved and in mail!

A question for other business card churners, do you have to go through the same process again when you apply for another alaska biz card?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.