Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
you could probably call up and ask them what the CL is on it. < $5K will be platinum. $5k+ will be signature
Got $28k or thereabouts, so signature it is. ^
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Too many to count!
Safe to apply again?

I had 2 personal AS cards, the most recent one I got was 1 year ago. Older card had $2000 cl and newer card had $15000 cl. A couple of weeks ago I called and had the $15000 reduced to $5000. Since it appears that BoA now restricts you to 1 personal AS card, last week I converted both to no-AF cards. The conversion was final 2 days ago. That way I could keep my relationship open with them.

I'd like to now apply for another personal AS card. Thinking of applying within a few days. Does this sound like I have a good chance for an auto approval for the sig card? Yes, I know, I wish I had been thinking further ahead and reduced that $15000 a few months ago.

Last edited by CynthiaD; Jun 22, 2017 at 8:37 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by CynthiaD
I had 2 personal AS cards, the most recent one I got was 1 year ago. Older card had $2000 cl and newer card had $15000 cl. A couple of weeks ago I called and had the $15000 reduced to $5000. Since it appears that BoA now restricts you to 1 personal AS card, last week I converted both to no-AF cards. The conversion was final 2 days ago. That way I could keep my relationship open with them.

What card did they convert you to ?

BOA offers a personal and business travel rewards card with a 25K point signup bonus and NAF . Perfect for keeping the relationship going.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Too many to count!
Originally Posted by flyer4512
What card did they convert you to ?

BOA offers a personal and business travel rewards card with a 25K point signup bonus and NAF . Perfect for keeping the relationship going.
I converted one to the cash rewards card, the other to the travel rewards card. But since I was doing a product change and not opening a new account I couldn't get bonuses.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by CynthiaD
I converted one to the cash rewards card, the other to the travel rewards card. But since I was doing a product change and not opening a new account I couldn't get bonuses.
Why didn't you just do a new app for travel rewards/cash card then close your AS cards ?

Seems like you missed an easy $350 for spending $1500
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:59 pm

I have 2 BoA credit cards (Cash Rewards and Travel Rewards) - one from 2005 and the other from 2015. I do not use them anymore for normal spend but I do a few small charges to keep them active. I used to have a mortgage and checking/savings with BoA but I do not anymore.

I have 795-805 credit scores and 8 hard pulls on Experian. It actually should be 7 as my BoA Travel Rewards hard pull was on June 5th 2015 so it should not count per the 2 year rule, but it hasn't disappeared from my Experian app yet. Not sure if this matters, minor details hopefully.

I have opened 4 new credit cards in 2017 all with non BoA banks, with the last one being in April (AMEX SPG).

I have never had an Alaska credit card at all.

I was planning on applying in the next day for a personal Alaska card and then after immediately applying for the Virgin Atlantic card to merge the hard pulls.

I have a 90 day freeze on all my 3 bureaus so I will not get insta-approvals, but I am aware of the need to call Bank of America during business hours so I can resolve the pending app and deal with getting the right Alaska card if they approve me for the lesser of the two cards.

Does anyone knowledgeable with BoA and these Alaska cards see any reason why this would not be a good idea? Not looking for promises of course, just opinions. I noticed a recent post on AwardWallet mentions that doing 2 BoA credit card apps at the same time is more risky -now-, but I am not sure if they mean applying for 2 Alaska cards at once which I have no desire to try. I do not see any downside to doing the Alaska app first and then doing the Virgin Atlantic one but posting here in case I am missing something.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Jun 30, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:55 am

I know there is no science to this, but any opinions as to how long to wait after being issued an AS Signature and Business card before closing them? And how long before applying again?

I was approved for both at the beginning of May and following the advice of experts here have already reduced my credit line on both (Signature to 1K).

These were my first cards ever with BOA, and I have no other accounts with them.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I have 2 BoA credit cards (Cash Rewards and Travel Rewards) - one from 2005 and the other from 2015. I do not use them anymore for normal spend but I do a few small charges to keep them active. I used to have a mortgage and checking/savings with BoA but I do not anymore.

I have 795-805 credit scores and 8 hard pulls on Experian. It actually should be 7 as my BoA Travel Rewards hard pull was on June 5th 2015 so it should not count per the 2 year rule, but it hasn't disappeared from my Experian app yet. Not sure if this matters, minor details hopefully.

I have opened 4 new credit cards in 2017 all with non BoA banks, with the last one being in April (AMEX SPG).

I have never had an Alaska credit card at all.

I was planning on applying in the next day for a personal Alaska card and then after immediately applying for the Virgin Atlantic card to merge the hard pulls.

I have a 90 day freeze on all my 3 bureaus so I will not get insta-approvals, but I am aware of the need to call Bank of America during business hours so I can resolve the pending app and deal with getting the right Alaska card if they approve me for the lesser of the two cards.

Does anyone knowledgeable with BoA and these Alaska cards see any reason why this would not be a good idea? Not looking for promises of course, just opinions. I noticed a recent post on AwardWallet mentions that doing 2 BoA credit card apps at the same time is more risky -now-, but I am not sure if they mean applying for 2 Alaska cards at once which I have no desire to try. I do not see any downside to doing the Alaska app first and then doing the Virgin Atlantic one but posting here in case I am missing something.
The post you saw is correct. Doing 2 BoA personal credit card apps (any two personal BoA credit cards, not just AS) at once to merge inquiries is indeed risky now.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
The post you saw is correct. Doing 2 BoA personal credit card apps (any two personal BoA credit cards, not just AS) at once to merge inquiries is indeed risky now.
Got it, thanks for clarifying.

The risk is that they will reject both cards?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Got it, thanks for clarifying.

The risk is that they will reject both cards?
Either that, or approve a card and close it a few days later. YMMV.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
Either that, or approve a card and close it a few days later. YMMV.
People should get rid of the outdated concept of minimizing HPs.

In 2017 it is risky with BofA, Chase (which now has a new dept to manually review accounts), never works with Citi and IIRC, Barclays as well.

HPs has much less impact since 2015 due to Chase implements 5/24 and Citi changed to 24 months cycle that is more restrictive than Chase. The issuers evolve so as the players need to do the same, i.e. learn the new reality.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I am planning to apply for 1 Personal and 1 business AS card. First time applicant with BoFA. No CC with them yet. FICO 800+.. About 9/24 (For chase purpose)
If I meet minimum spend during august, what would be expiry on these certificates? July (Card application month) or August (Minimum spend met) of next year? How soon do they issue these certificates after meeting minimum spend?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Happy
People should get rid of the outdated concept of minimizing HPs.

In 2017 it is risky with BofA, Chase (which now has a new dept to manually review accounts), never works with Citi and IIRC, Barclays as well.

HPs has much less impact since 2015 due to Chase implements 5/24 and Citi changed to 24 months cycle that is more restrictive than Chase. The issuers evolve so as the players need to do the same, i.e. learn the new reality.
In what way is the concept outdated? I was denied by Citi last Fall due to too many HPs. Not even "accounts opened" as I also had a couple of apps denied by other banks due to technical reasons, which put my HPs in 6 months over the generous limit that Citi typically gives me. I waited things out until my HPs/6 dropped much lower, and then easily got approved by first US, and then Barclays, both of which are known to be stricter on apps than Citi. Sure you do need to understand the rules of an app, whether it's 5/24, 24 months, 8/65 or whatever. But too many HPs might mean your app doesn't even get checked for those rules, it just gets denied outright for too many HPs.

And I totally don't understand what you mean when you say about something being "risky" with some banks, and never working with others. What's risky?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
So I just applied for the business card and got approved for $4,500 (less than the $5K needed for Signature). I called in to see what can be done about the limit but both reps said that the business card doesn't have the tiered bonus structure like the personal one does. Is this accurate?

Want to make sure before I go applying for a 2nd one today.

Edit - Reading the terms the above seems correct.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
So I just applied for the business card and got approved for $4,500 (less than the $5K needed for Signature). I called in to see what can be done about the limit but both reps said that the business card doesn't have the tiered bonus structure like the personal one does. Is this accurate?

Want to make sure before I go applying for a 2nd one today.

Edit - Reading the terms the above seems correct.
Only the personal version has the $5k minimum, business only has a single version of the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.