Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by banffflyr
In an attempt to pull us back from the brink, does anyone have any feedback on reapplication intervals?
I'd also love to hear any thoughts on how long to wait between closing a card and applying for a new one.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
First, as mentioned before, NOBODY has the obligation to prove anything to you.
And yet they have an obligation to believe non-scientific theories about BofA's 2/3/4 acting differently than documented?

According to one post on the DoC site, there's a theory that 2/3/4 is as stated, BofA cards only, on instant approvals/denials, but that there is an additional layer (not necessarily calibrated at 2/3/4, probably higher) on processing by humans that does count new accounts from other banks. (I don't know to what degree this theory is correct or not.)

So I'm not arguing that there's no count of new accounts from other banks used at BofA under certain circumstances. I'm just saying that it's separate from 2/3/4, and that it would useful to figure out how it works (how many new accounts from other banks in what amount of time spell doom?), rather than just guessing that it must be "2/3/4" because you've heard of a rule by that name.

Now, if you (or anyone else) wants to "simplify" their life and just assume that if they're beyond 5/24 at Chase there's no point in them applying for a BofA card, fine. But I don't see that there's enough proof that that's how it works to make recommendations to other people as to whether they should give up on BofA or not based on one person's assumptions.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:59 pm

DP to help clear some info:
Family Member applied for new Alaska personal on 10/21 got approved on 10/23. he had 10 new accounts opened in the last 24 months. this alaska card is his 4th bofa personal in 24 months + 1 business bofa, so i am sure that BofA does NOT count all bank accounts.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Family Member applied for new Alaska personal on 10/21 got approved on 10/23. he had 10 new accounts opened in the last 24 months. this alaska card is his 4th bofa personal in 24 months + 1 business bofa, so i am sure that BofA does NOT count all bank accounts.
Did they currently hold an open AS personal card when they applied for the new one?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I am quite sure BOA dont as well (as of now, at least).

I think the confusion and conflicting DP come from the fact that 2/3/4 is a rule applied to BOA cards only -- however, whenever there is human factor involved (recon etc) then the recon agent will start reviewing CR and get a sticker shock on the # accounts opened or # hard inquiries visible and use one of these as an axe (whether correctly applied or not, is another question - you could surmise that even the recon agents are confused themselves, and not enforcing it appropriately). Add on to the fact that some applicants dont know the difference between # inquiries vs # accounts opened, and they unfortunately start reporting here on FT using incorrect terminologies, and that's when you get a bunch of conflicting / inconsistent information.

I always knew a high # of HP counts against me, after a denial some time ago. This is why after that, i never let BOA pull my EX, and I became successful in getting BOA cards again, until the 2/3/4 rule strikes. When I was denied BOA card recently (and this is when the 2/3/4 rule is already supposedly in effect), they clearly told me it is because of my # BOA cards opened, not bc of my # overall bank cards opened. And trust me, I have more than enough of the latter with Citi AA.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Did they currently hold an open AS personal card when they applied for the new one?
no all cards were closed prior to the last app.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need advice: turned down for B of A Alaska business cc due to Type of Business..

Though I am a self-employed international development consultant with an 800+ credit rating and have never been turned down for a business cc before, Bank of America recently turned me down for an Alaska business cc. The reason, as stated in the letter: "The type of business or service provided." FWIW, I'm pretty sure I put down Public Administration for the Type of Industry and Lawyer (which I am) for Occupation. (Also, FWIW, I'm not over the new 2/3/4 BofA limit for ccs.)

Has anyone had an experience like this before? If so, any advice on what might be going on here and how I should approach it, beyond simply calling BofA's reconsideration line (which is what, by the way?)?

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
No advice other than to call the recon line. Check the wiki here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...s-now-30k.html
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Ok. Thanks!

Called the recon line and in fact it was just a minor matter re categorization. Approved over the phone. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 30, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're sorry.....

Applied for the personal card for my wife today. She hasn't had an AS card w/in the last 12 months & first BofA app. in over a year. Got the:

We’re sorry but we’re unable to give you a decision at this time.

What’s next?

We are reviewing your application and will send you a letter letting you know our decision.

We'll give it a couple days and see what happens.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 30, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:29 pm

Got letter to open CD with regards to my biz app. I don't have any real biz but can float some $ to put in CD for 1 year. Is there good probability of getting approved after that without a real biz?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Got letter to open CD with regards to my biz app. I don't have any real biz but can float some $ to put in CD for 1 year. Is there good probability of getting approved after that without a real biz?
Search this thread for "$1500" and you'll see plenty of datapoints. (I assume that's amount of your CD deposit requirement, because that's what it's been for everyone else to date who's gotten the CD deposit requirement.)
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I did this a month ago using sole-proprietor, $0 revenue, <1 year in business. Opened CD with $1500 (which will be your credit limit) and it was approved a couple of weeks later.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New one on me--what a joke..

Originally Posted by philemer
Applied for the personal card for my wife today. She hasn't had an AS card w/in the last 12 months & first BofA app. in over a year. Got the:

We’re sorry but we’re unable to give you a decision at this time.

What’s next?

We are reviewing your application and will send you a letter letting you know our decision.

We'll give it a couple days and see what happens.
I can't believe this! My wife calls BofA this morning to check on the status of her personal card. They ask her a number of personal questions and then say that she needs to go to a local BofA branch, show them two forms of ID, and then they would "help her". What a joke. She said there were no BofA branches near us so the rep said: "OK, call us back tomorrow and we'll have answer for you". I've never heard of such BS. We both have great FICO scores, good income & no long-term debt.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
... I've never heard of such BS. We both have great FICO scores, good income & no long-term debt.
Now this situation calls for an attitude adjustment. The bank is obviously not concerned about your scores or income, but wants to verify identity. It's not that rare, especially when there are folks with similar SSN or names. In such cases credit bureaus sometimes misfile small items, thus creating internal conflicts in credit reports. It's a brief and painless step, happened to me once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.