Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:55 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether either of the following is more advantageous?

1. Close current Alaska business card, be left with no business cards but a different personal credit card and checking account, apply again in at least a month

2. Product change current Alaska business card to a different business card and then apply for a new Alaska business card, keep the first business card to maintain the "business relationship" along with personal credit card and checking account.

Thanks, I haven't seen much discussion about this elsewhere.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodasiansir
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether either of the following is more advantageous?

1. Close current Alaska business card, be left with no business cards but a different personal credit card and checking account, apply again in at least a month

2. Product change current Alaska business card to a different business card and then apply for a new Alaska business card, keep the first business card to maintain the "business relationship" along with personal credit card and checking account.

Thanks, I haven't seen much discussion about this elsewhere.
Many of us have done # 1 with no problem. I don't remember reading about anyone trying # 2.

Just remember to reduce you credit limit (at least a few days) before you close any Alaska card.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
[QUOTE=sdsearch;28568550]Many of us have done # 1 with no problem. I don't remember reading about anyone trying # 2.

I have tried a couple of times to do a product change on the business card, and they always say it isn't possible, and usually offer to waive the annual fee if I keep it.

And yes, they are getting very difficult to churn, I was just denied after multiple recons for a personal card, even after reducing the limit and changing my last personal Alaska card to a Cash Rewards. The supervisor specifically noted my "pattern of opening and closing accounts" as the ultimate reason for denial.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:31 am

Closed previous personal and business cards about 6 weeks ago. I've had a 4 or 5 personal cards, and 2 or 3 business cards in the last 2 years
Applied for personal card online and went pending. What's the current best advice - call reconsideration or wait to hear?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Applied for business version for wife and got the same letter I previously received to create a CD at BOA with min $1500. CD isn't a issue but problem is she has no business and I filled her app as a SP on her SSN. I had a proper business so setting up a business CD at a branch wasn't a issue at all. Anyone been through something similar?
Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I used to have no problems with multiple Alaska biz accounts, but decided to be more cautious given others experience.

1) How long after reducing credit line should one wait before applying for a Alaska biz card?
2) How long after closing a biz card before applying for another?

Sorry if this was answered recently; I couldn't find it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I used to have no problems with multiple Alaska biz accounts, but decided to be more cautious given others experience.

1) How long after reducing credit line should one wait before applying for a Alaska biz card?

I'm asking the same question about both the business card and the personal, so anyone kind enough to answer will be helping at least 2 people!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by rje444
I'm asking the same question about both the business card and the personal, so anyone kind enough to answer will be helping at least 2 people!
Make that 3 people interested.

I know in the past I spaced lowering limit, cancelling and applying each on their own day, and it worked fine for my first 2 cards, but it seems some people are now being denied, so I lowered my limit a while back and cancelled a few days ago (which is also getting difficult), now I want to apply again but I am almost to the 6 month point from when I initially applied for the personal card that I just cancelled. Should I wait until 6 months is reached?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by HanBkk
Closed previous personal and business cards about 6 weeks ago. I've had a 4 or 5 personal cards, and 2 or 3 business cards in the last 2 years
Applied for personal card online and went pending. What's the current best advice - call reconsideration or wait to hear?
Not sure why this went to pending, but I didn't call. Next day logged into BoA account online and it's showing new card.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Make that 3 people interested.

I know in the past I spaced lowering limit, cancelling and applying each on their own day, and it worked fine for my first 2 cards, but it seems some people are now being denied, so I lowered my limit a while back and cancelled a few days ago (which is also getting difficult), now I want to apply again but I am almost to the 6 month point from when I initially applied for the personal card that I just cancelled. Should I wait until 6 months is reached?
We don't know! There are too few people applying for business cards reporting back with detail what happened, and meanwhile BofA is either constantly changing things and/or treating different people differently. So between these two issues we can't figure out specific timings very easily (if at all).

For example, a few posts above Soulag said that BofA claimed to have denied them for a "pattern". Obviously, everyone's pattern will be different, so if BofA is truly looking at patterns, but we don't know how they're looking at them, for each person the results might be different without warning!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan

1. Approved for my first BofA AS personal in Dec 2016 $17k CL. Never lowered it. Applied for 2 x AS Biz in April 2017 - Approved for both, each with a $10k CL.

Seems like I better lower these limits soon.

2. I would like to know too I applied for my 2nd biz card on the phone hours after sending in my first app online (it errored out.. I thought it didn't go through but it apparently did) - I believe mine was a fluke both were approved.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:34 am

For those of you who have done the onboard paper app, how long did it take them to notify you of approval?

Does the onboard app come with $100 credit? (doesn't seem like it according to thread info)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by hightide
...the onboard paper app, how long did it take them to notify you of approval?
Does the onboard app come with $100 credit?
I've not done the onboard application, but with the online application if I was not instantly approved, the eventual approval usually came about 4-5 days later. You can check here to see if you've been approved; good luck !:

Not sure about the $100 credit, but I think it's unlikely that it would be part of your onboard application.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by muji
I've not done the onboard application, but with the online application if I was not instantly approved, the eventual approval usually came about 4-5 days later. You can check here to see if you've been approved; good luck !:

Not sure about the $100 credit, but I think it's unlikely that it would be part of your onboard application.
Thanks for the info If the onboard app doesn't include the $100 credit, then the 30K miles + $100 is still a better deal.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:31 pm

It's been over 7 months since my last BOA app. Posting here since VS thread is dormant, and it's somewhat related to AS.

Tried to do VS 90K, then followed by AS 30K. Couldnt even get pass the first hurdle.

Got denied due to 'sufficient number of credits'. Then offer to close one of my two credit cards with BOA, but even after closing it, still the same denial msg.

Anyone have success to get pass this msg? If yes, how?

Background: I did close off my other BOA cards back in Q1 2017. I think it's getting harder and harder to get BOA cards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.