Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I may have jumped the gun before doing the research but applied for the bus and personal yesterday back to back. Got excited with the 10K bonus on my account(I assume because of Virgin account with 50K+) and want to jump start my Alaska miles due to their value.

Both pending which seems a bit crazy. I have lots of credit cards open but haven't been too active last quarter of 2016 opening more. Income should not be an issue credit rating near max. Legit business, very successful.

My last bout 6 month ago or so applying netted a card at $600 credit limit, a joke. Got real pissed as that's not what I applied for, made that known, why? What would be my best course of action at this point? Wait it out? Call reconsideration line at some point?
Pending is not unusual at BofA. I get instant approval less than half the time with them, with not much at all changing.

On the business card, if you get approved even with a small credit limit, you'll get the full 30k if you do the $1000 spend in 3 months.

On the personal card, though, if you get approved for less than $5k CL, it's for a Plat card with only a 5k bonus, and if you want the full 30k bonus, you have to convince them to up your CL and then go through a multi-month waiting procedure.

So IMHO you should give priority to the business card application (if you're going to do anything other than just wait).

But first thing: In the wiki there's a link to check your application status online. You should do that, since just because they went pending yesterday doesn't rule out that they may have made a decision already by today (but not notified you yet, especially if you don't yet have a BofA account login where you could check to see if any new cards show up there).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I may have jumped the gun before doing the research but applied for the bus and personal yesterday back to back. Got excited with the 10K bonus on my account(I assume because of Virgin account with 50K+) and want to jump start my Alaska miles due to their value.

Both pending which seems a bit crazy. I have lots of credit cards open but haven't been too active last quarter of 2016 opening more. Income should not be an issue credit rating near max. Legit business, very successful.

My last bout 6 month ago or so applying netted a card at $600 credit limit, a joke. Got real pissed as that's not what I applied for, made that known, why? What would be my best course of action at this point? Wait it out? Call reconsideration line at some point?

I applied for the Merrill card and an Alaska business card same day in November, both went pending. Called recon on the Merrill card and was denied for too many recent inquiries. Didn't do anything regarding the business Alaska card and it showed up 2 weeks later out of the blue.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for the info sdsearch and kurt
I was able to use the virtual card online twice before it was no longer usable.

BTW: After approval of Alaska personal card (which is my first ever BofA card), how long is the recommended wait time before applying for Alaska biz card?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Have folks who have been denied either personal or business card been denied for having a card open if that card was open more than 120 days?

I churned both for me and my wife in October, no problem. Earlier in the year, I got denied, but it was 90 days between apps. I switched to 120 days and didn't have an issue.

If you were denied due to already having a card, please let us know
1) Personal or busienss
2) how long between last application and current denied application.

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
What are the chances of AS clawing back the Companion Pass if I cancel the card a few days after the CP is credited but before I have bought a fare with it (and well before I have flown with it)?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
What are the chances of AS clawing back the Companion Pass if I cancel the card a few days after the CP is credited but before I have bought a fare with it (and well before I have flown with it)?
Chances are 0. They will not claw it back.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Chances are 0. They will not claw it back.
Thanks, looks like I'll use the CP and cancel that AS CC, retaining my 2 personal AS CCs. And may I suggest you check out the Star Trek exhibit at MoPop (EMP Museum) in Seattle if ever in the area? Lots there to appeal to your handle.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Lower the credit lines as much as possible and the close the accounts a week or so later
Yes, thx. I lowered CLs for 2 personal and 2 biz cards down to $200 each. I will close each soon and start reapplying again after awhile...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Yes, thx. I lowered CLs for 2 personal and 2 biz cards down to $200 each. I will close each soon and start reapplying again after awhile...
Did they ask any questions when you went so low on the CL's ?

How long have you had the cards open ?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:35 am

Like many here, I've been applying for one personal and one business card every 4-6 months for several years, have never been denied, and have had as many as three of each open at a time.

Applied last night and was denied, no specific reason given. I called the reconsideration numbers listed in the wiki this morning, and neither number is working. I then called a general number and asked to be connected with the "credit department" or "someone who can handle reconsideration". The representative said they are no longer providing telephone access to that department, and provided a physical address for me to write a letter requesting reconsideration.

Hopefully just a temporary thing, but interested to hear any other very recent data points.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
If I have personal & business card plus gift card (thanks amex), when I book ticket, can I use the $121 companion price and pay using gift card or do I have to use one of the alaska credit card?
I am MVP Gold and I have 4 upgrade pass in my account. can I use 3 passes if there are 3 people under same booking?
What about $121 price? Can passenger #2 and #3 use it or is it applicable to passenger#2 only?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:52 am
soy

Programs: various
How easy/tough are BoA with approving the biz card?
Asking from point of view of $0 rev start up (consultant) application.
Normally would go for personal card but wary of only getting approved on the plat card due to limited BoA history and relatively high number of recent cards open (5/6)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
How easy/tough are BoA with approving the biz card?
Asking from point of view of $0 rev start up (consultant) application.
Normally would go for personal card but wary of only getting approved on the plat card due to limited BoA history and relatively high number of recent cards open (5/6)
They don't seem to be tough for approving biz cards as long as you're honest. Ie, if you say 0 years in business, $0 in business income, your name as the business name, the minimum number of employees, and you're a sole proprietorship (those answers because you either have no business at all or are just thinking about starting one), they don't tend to ask questions about the business. Make up a business name out of the blue or make up income and they're likely to ask for legal documentation of your business!

But how many recent card opening you have, I don't know if that's treated differently for business card applications than personal card applications. Not everyone applies to BofA with a "relatively high number of recent cards open", and so maybe only datapoints from those people would be of value to you? (And by 5/6, did you mean 5 cards in 6 months, or what? )
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:28 pm

Do I need to wait 90 days between apps?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:26 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by sdsearch

But how many recent card opening you have, I don't know if that's treated differently for business card applications than personal card applications. Not everyone applies to BofA with a "relatively high number of recent cards open", and so maybe only datapoints from those people would be of value to you? (And by 5/6, did you mean 5 cards in 6 months, or what? )
Yep, 5 cards opened in last 6 months.
Sounds as though I may as well go for the biz card as it does not seem to be much more difficult to get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.