Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I have a personal Alaska airlines card. Its the only card I have with BoA. I am thinking about going for a business version of the card. I do not know how much credit BoA will extend me. Will BoA deny me for too much credit open on my personal card even though its a business card app? With citi I was near the overall credit limit with them on my personal cards and when I apped for a biz card they gave me a 30k limit, so clearly citi viewed both differently but with Amex and Chase it feels like your credit ceiling applies to both personal and business cards combined. Just wondering where BoA falls on this and if I need to reduce my personal card limit in advance.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Red259
I have a personal Alaska airlines card. Its the only card I have with BoA. I am thinking about going for a business version of the card. I do not know how much credit BoA will extend me. Will BoA deny me for too much credit open on my personal card even though its a business card app? With citi I was near the overall credit limit with them on my personal cards and when I apped for a biz card they gave me a 30k limit, so clearly citi viewed both differently but with Amex and Chase it feels like your credit ceiling applies to both personal and business cards combined. Just wondering where BoA falls on this and if I need to reduce my personal card limit in advance.
Clearly I don't know your exact circumstances. But yes, in general banks do consider your personal credit situation when you apply for a bus card. Assuming it's a sole proprietor business, and not a corporation, you are ultimately responsible for charges made on a business card. Maybe you don't have to lower your personal CL to get approved, but if you have more CL on your personal card than you need, why not lower it rather than risk not being approved?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Damn it. As of last night online/phone status wasn't telling me the credit line, but this morning it showed up on my online account and it is a Platinum Plus with $2.5K limit. This is despite me lowering limits before closing cards, having a low limit on the Merrill+ card that is still open, etc. I took the risk not calling in when it went pending knowing that this could happen, thinking that my odds were better than having attention drawn to my 'active' account history, but here we are...

Recon is closed today so nothing I can do, though from what I remember I am kind of SOL regardless as the application has already been approved, correct?
I can't find it right now, but recently I read a post somewhere where someone (who didn't this timing rule) started the process only after they got the card, I think, and yet was still able to begin the 2-month-long conversion to Signature. So do call them when Recon "wakes up" and try, it can't hurt to try. But be aware that it's a many-step multi-month process and you can't shorten it.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I can't find it right now, but recently I read a post somewhere where someone (who didn't this timing rule) started the process only after they got the card, I think, and yet was still able to begin the 2-month-long conversion to Signature. So do call them when Recon "wakes up" and try, it can't hurt to try. But be aware that it's a many-step multi-month process and you can't shorten it.
Thanks. Unfortunately this is for a redemption in December so it looks like I will have to transfer SPG points in after the fact. Given that this will take my account balance to 0, not sure how valuable 30K points will be sitting in AS now that their partnerships with Delta and American are gone.

Might as well start the process, but obviously disappointed. Thanks again to you and others for the insight.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
All the recon numbers I've tried are either dead or ring non-stop (800-354-0401). Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
All the recon numbers I've tried are either dead or ring non-stop (800-354-0401). Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
Are they closed for Columbus Day?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Superorb
Are they closed for Columbus Day?
Yes. Since this is a holiday observed by the Federal Reserve System, US-based banks are generally closed today.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Approved for personal card #2 , finally. Bad news: despite every precaution, I got the $2.5K limit Platinum Plus again. Sigh. At least I'm familiar with the whole VS re-issuing song-n-dance from last time.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Hi -- I applied for a business card and got the auto-decline. On reconsideration phone call, was offered the secured version. My understanding is that within 30 days they could approve the same offer, with bonus and all, once I've put $1500 minimum into a CD that is linked to the card.
They said instructions would be sent by mail withn 7-10 business days.

Because of the 30-day time frame (and I really don't want another hard pull on my report) -- do any of you who went through this still have the phone number you called that was on the decline letter -- either in your phone history or if you saved the letter?
Presumably if I call right away I could already get a head start on opening the CD. I assume that it is not a regular CD, but a specific way they set it up to be tied to the card? (and do I really need a checking account in addition? In that case I should probably go to a branch first, before calling about the CD).
Any help would be appreciated! Can't believe what a pain BoA is, compared to the other banks. I actually have a pretty good credit score and have not been going nuts with card applications. But getting a second hardpull for just 30k miles would be pretty bad...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by augias84
Hi -- I applied for a business card and got the auto-decline. On reconsideration phone call, was offered the secured version. My understanding is that within 30 days they could approve the same offer, with bonus and all, once I've put $1500 minimum into a CD that is linked to the card.
They said instructions would be sent by mail withn 7-10 business days.

Because of the 30-day time frame (and I really don't want another hard pull on my report) -- do any of you who went through this still have the phone number you called that was on the decline letter -- either in your phone history or if you saved the letter?
Presumably if I call right away I could already get a head start on opening the CD. I assume that it is not a regular CD, but a specific way they set it up to be tied to the card? (and do I really need a checking account in addition? In that case I should probably go to a branch first, before calling about the CD).
Any help would be appreciated! Can't believe what a pain BoA is, compared to the other banks. I actually have a pretty good credit score and have not been going nuts with card applications. But getting a second hardpull for just 30k miles would be pretty bad...
I just got letter today to open cd. I'm not even bothered to call for the reconsideration. That is not a deal. I am moving on.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:59 pm

I

Posting in flight fa said if I were to use app w her name we would get 31k not 32k. How does one get the addl 2k than 1k?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Posting in flight fa said if I were to use app w her name we would get 31k not 32k. How does one get the addl 2k than 1k?
If you give your application to an AlaskaAir employee, and spend $1k within 90d, you get another 1k points on top of the 30k. So total, 32k.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Him800
I just got letter today to open cd. I'm not even bothered to call for the reconsideration. That is not a deal. I am moving on.
would you mind sharing the phone number though, or the instructions for the CD?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
If you give your application to an AlaskaAir employee, and spend $1k within 90d, you get another 1k points on top of the 30k. So total, 32k.
Ok thanks. All others gets 31k..just one k.more.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
Approved for personal card #2 , finally. Bad news: despite every precaution, I got the $2.5K limit Platinum Plus again. Sigh. At least I'm familiar with the whole VS re-issuing song-n-dance from last time.
As I researched how I pulled this off last year, I went ahead and updated the wiki. Dig it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.