Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
Issue being is that it isn't an auto upgrade to the Visa Sig. Takes a lot of work on the back-end and isn't guaranteed by any means. My wife continues to be able to get new Alaska cards while I can't. Even opened a BoA account a few months ago to try to increase my standing with them but apparently that didn't help. Decided to grab the travel rewards card with $200 after $1k spend just because I'd already wasted the HP and wanted to at least come away with something.
Well, the problem is likely total credit limit across all our BofA cards, so by appllying for yet another BofA card you care about less, just to use the HP, you're making the situation worse for yourself!

Have you been lower credit limit as much as possible before closing any BofA cards? If not, your credit limit that remains on a card when you close a BofA card stays "locked away" for over a year . (Even when you lower the credit limit first as a separate step, it still can take months, but that's way less than "over a year".)

That's why the more BofA cards you open and close (without drastically reducing the credit limit before you close), you just make it harder for yourself to get approved for an Alaska signature card later on.

So you need to decide what's more important to you, getting Alaska miles or "using up" HPs. BofA won't deny you for having wasted an HP, but they may deny you (for an Alaska Sig card) because you chose to not waste the HP by applying for an "at least something" card.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the problem is likely total credit limit across all our BofA cards, so by appllying for yet another BofA card you care about less, just to use the HP, you're making the situation worse for yourself!

Have you been lower credit limit as much as possible before closing any BofA cards? If not, your credit limit that remains on a card when you close a BofA card stays "locked away" for over a year . (Even when you lower the credit limit first as a separate step, it still can take months, but that's way less than "over a year".)

That's why the more BofA cards you open and close (without drastically reducing the credit limit before you close), you just make it harder for yourself to get approved for an Alaska signature card later on.

So you need to decide what's more important to you, getting Alaska miles or "using up" HPs. BofA won't deny you for having wasted an HP, but they may deny you (for an Alaska Sig card) because you chose to not waste the HP by applying for an "at least something" card.
Unfortunately I wish it were that easy. I decreased my prior Alaska cards early and then didn't cancel for a while after that. I've kept the limits of my two existing cards fairly low, at $15k total but maybe my next step is to bump these down. My wife hasn't followed very similar applications to me but she gets approved.

Our only difference I can figure out is (1) I have two old BoA cards with $15k total CL, and (2) she is an AU on a very old BoA card with a $30k CL (not positive if this helps or hurts her).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
Our only difference I can figure out is (1) I have two old BoA cards with $15k total CL, and (2) she is an AU on a very old BoA card with a $30k CL (not positive if this helps or hurts her).
By comparison I have one very old BofA card on which I lowered the CL years ago to $2k (after it converted from a Choice Hotels card to a useless card other than having a giant BofA logo on the front for easy "Museums on Us" admission). That's all other than the Alaska cards I churn.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
By comparison I have one very old BofA card on which I lowered the CL years ago to $2k (after it converted from a Choice Hotels card to a useless card other than having a giant BofA logo on the front for easy "Museums on Us" admission). That's all other than the Alaska cards I churn.
I think that logically has to be my next step at this point. I don't have any need for the CL on the other cards either and could definitely be contributing to me not getting the cards even though I've lowered and then closed all prior Alaska a while ago.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, and many more
DP: I tried 5x to get a 2nd personal card, all the while keeping 1 personal Alaska card open. Lowered CL to 2k, and then closed my only card, then applied again, approved a few weeks later for a new card with 10k line. Went to pending, did not call in, and then got an email the next day approved.
sdsearch and Carl Christensen like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeremyandbindi
DP: I tried 5x to get a 2nd personal card, all the while keeping 1 personal Alaska card open. Lowered CL to 2k, and then closed my only card, then applied again, approved a few weeks later for a new card with 10k line. Went to pending, did not call in, and then got an email the next day approved.
Excellent experiment! Thanks! ^
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:53 am

Denied Signature 2x

DP: Just got my second denial for the Signature. Used to get cards about twice a year. My first denial came a few months ago, citing too many cards open. I since closed my most recent Signature card, so I now have only an Amtrak card and an AK Business at BofA. Applied for Signature this morning, went to pending, then checked online and it was denied. I called for reconsideration and the rep cited too many cards open again. She confirmed seeing two cards in my account, and I asked if that was too many. She looked further and saw that I had opened/closed 5 cards with them, so she said that would be why I was denied. Confirmed that income level was not one of the reasons. I have good credit.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mcmeeshi
I asked if that was too many. She looked further and saw that I had opened/closed 5 cards with them, so she said that would be why I was denied. Confirmed that income level was not one of the reasons. I have good credit.
Sounds like it is quite possible that the computer issues a denial for two many BA cards. Then when you ask the CSR, they look deeper, and see multiple cards opened and closed, and speculate that was the reason. I'd say if you want an approval, you need to close the open BA cards, and hope for an instant approval so that no one there goes snooping around your account history.
daprophecy likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:02 am

I have a BoA Cash Rewards card with a credit limit of 21K and a BoA Travel Rewards card with a credit limit of 12.5K. I do not use them for spend, but I keep them open because they are very old cards in terms of forming my credit history.

I realize these aren't gigantic limits, but when I soon apply for my first Alaska personal credit card ever, does anyone recommend I lower my credit limit on any of these pre-existing cards to increase my approval odds for the Visa Signature, or not necessary in this case?

If it even matters, I used to bank with BoA as well as have a mortgage, so they have a pretty substantial history on me.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I have a BoA Cash Rewards card with a credit limit of 21K and a BoA Travel Rewards card with a credit limit of 12.5K. I do not use them for spend, but I keep them open because they are very old cards in terms of forming my credit history.

I realize these aren't gigantic limits, but when I soon apply for my first Alaska personal credit card ever, does anyone recommend I lower my credit limit on any of these pre-existing cards to increase my approval odds for the Visa Signature, or not necessary in this case?

If it even matters, I used to bank with BoA as well as have a mortgage, so they have a pretty substantial history on me.
you should free-up some credit by lowering the existing cards limits so you don't end-up with a platinum card instead of signature.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
you should free-up some credit by lowering the existing cards limits so you don't end-up with a platinum card instead of signature.
Thanks for the tip.

So, basically I just call in and tell the agent I want to lower the limit on my credit card(s) with them?

Do they typically ask why? If so, what do you say?

Sorry if I am being dense, just not used to these type of calls at all, haha.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:55 pm

So, basically I just call in and tell the agent I want to lower the limit on my credit card(s) with them? Do they typically ask why? If so, what do you say?
I have no need for a credit limit of more than $1,000 on a card, so I always lower my card limits down to just $1,000.

More than once an agent has told me that I need to keep the limit at at least $5,000, but upon calling back a different agent has always been able to lower the amount down to $1,000.

Typically they will not ask you why. When I call credit card companies, if they ask why am I closing a card or why am I lowering a credit limit, I simply state "This is what I'd like to do". They usually leave it at that.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:12 pm

Thanks for the tip.

So, basically I just call in and tell the agent I want to lower the limit on my credit card(s) with them?

Do they typically ask why? If so, what do you say?

Sorry if I am being dense, just not used to these type of calls at all, haha.
call BofA, ask to lower the credit limit to the limit you like, I am not sure if they ask why or not when you lower the credit limit (they do ask why when you want to close the account), i always answer "no specific reason", the whole process is not that big of a deal, so don't worry.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by muji
I have no need for a credit limit of more than $1,000 on a card, so I always lower my card limits down to just $1,000.

More than once an agent has told me that I need to keep the limit at at least $5,000, but upon calling back a different agent has always been able to lower the amount down to $1,000.

Typically they will not ask you why. When I call credit card companies, if they ask why am I closing a card or why am I lowering a credit limit, I simply state "This is what I'd like to do". They usually leave it at that.
Interesting. Do you mean your Alaskan cards, or ALL your credit cards?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:37 pm

Interesting. Do you mean your Alaskan cards, or ALL your credit cards?
Myself, I lower all my cards down to that $1,000 amount (since I do not need higher credit limits) - except for one or two cards that I leave at $5,000 each, in case I ever might need to charge up to that amount on a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.