Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by holocker
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the companion certificate in your account once you get the card? I am planning a trip to Hawaii the end of June and wanted to see it I applied for the card now if I would get the companion ticket in time.
See this thread on the AS forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-fare-faq.html The first one usually appears fairly fast (wiki says on approval) but I'm not positive.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
I never said it wasn't a thing. Just that with every lender I have dealt with I didn't have to go through giving tax returns.
Well, what you're missing that many people in this thread didn't have to go through it the first time (or maybe second or third time) they applied for a BofA business card, just were "selected at random" to have that information requested on a subsequent business card application.

So just because it hasn't happened to you at X bank yet doesn't prove it never will happen to you. It could just mean you've been lucky so far.

We don't know what their "random" process is and thus we don't know who it could affect and who it couldn't affect.

And there are equivalents at some other banks, though perhaps not as big a "spurt" of them in a short reported with those other banks. (But it's among the things that led to the mantra over at Chase forum of "don't call, even if they ask you to call". People haven't come to that conclusion about BofA yet, but maybe that's what it would take? We don't know yet. Far fewer people apply for BofA cards than Chase cards so it takes longer to have fine-tuned datapoints.)
Old May 18, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by philemer
See this thread on the AS forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-fare-faq.html The first one usually appears fairly fast (wiki says on approval) but I'm not positive.
The wiki is out of date. That was before the minimum spend was instituted last year. Currently, it will show up Sunday (or following Sunday) after the statement where the minimum spend is met closes.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:32 am

I haven't been following this thread for a while now since some of my Family members got denied for a personal Alaska earlier this year because they had other cards open, i am a little fuzzy on the rules now and want to make sure i understand them right before i attempt any new apps, this is my understanding to the rules of applying to a personal alaska;
-you have to close previous personal alaska cards prior to the new application.
-wait 90+ days minimum between applications
-i am not sure if other open BofA cards affect the approval process.

i am not sure what am i missing but if someone can correct my information it would be great.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:25 am

I think some people have been successful waiting a lot less time between closing their AS card and applying for a new one. YMMV of course. Also it looks like being a Preferred client also helps with approvals.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I haven't been following this thread for a while now since some of my Family members got denied for a personal Alaska earlier this year because they had other cards open, i am a little fuzzy on the rules now and want to make sure i understand them right before i attempt any new apps, this is my understanding to the rules of applying to a personal alaska;
-you have to close previous personal alaska cards prior to the new application.
-i am not sure if other open BofA cards affect the approval process.

i am not sure what am i missing but if someone can correct my information it would be great.
I was denied a Merrill due to age of accounts and a Alaska Signature card due to existing card and too much credit. I subsequently lowered limits to help reduce BoA credit to me and then changed Alaska card to cash back card to keep history. It has been around 45 days since I did that and I will probably apply for another within the next month.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:40 am

Here's exactly what they're requesting for a business credit card. I'll do what others have done next time and just say zero years in business, zero employees, etc. What a game we play! They'd rather open up a line of credit to a completely unknown business than an established one. They did pull an inquiry from Lexis Nexis, which notoriously has inaccurate/out of date information, and I'm guessing they don't bother pulling that when you say you don't have any substantial revenue, etc.

FWIW I had an Alaska business card in the same company name previously with no request for this type of information, using the same information when applying for it.

My partner applied for a business credit card for another (legitimate) business we own, with comparable information, and his sailed through no problem.

"We need additional information to process your request for a small business credit card account. To proceed with our request please provide us with the following additional information:

Proof of business ownership or authorization to borrow on behalf of business (e.g. corporate resolution, organizations's meeting minutes, articles of incorporation, articles of organization or certificate of incorporation).

Verification of the legal structure of your business (Example: S-Corporation- C-Corporation. LLC- General Partnership, Limited Partnership. Sole Proprietor, Non-Profit Corporation). Verification materials may include Articles of Incorporation. Articles of Organization. Certificate of Trade Name or Partnership agreement. For Non-Profit provide if the primary mission is U.S. or International and the legal classification l50l(c)(3). Other 50 l. 52 I a. 527 . 528. 529. 49 47 (a)(l). Other (please list) l

The two most recent accountant prepared year-end business financial statement/tax returns.

Your two most recent years of federal personal tax returns with all schedules. If you filed a tax extension. please provide a copy of your most recent W2 forms or, in case of a sole proprietorship, an internally prepared year-end profit and loss statement.

They want all of this for a credit card for a legitimate business.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jchock1

They want all of this for a credit card for a legitimate business.
You know it's legit, but how do they? All this stuff is required to verify the info you entered. Next time do 0 years, 0 revenue, etc.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
You know it's legit, but how do they? All this stuff is required to verify the info you entered. Next time do 0 years, 0 revenue, etc.
A couple of years back i had to go through a 15-20 minutes questionnaire over the phone about my business for an Alaska bus. credit card, they must have asked me over a 100 questions about the business, i have had a business account with BofA for 10 years for a legit business, that didn't stop the stupid process, that was the last time i applied using my Corp EIN, they can be a PIA when they want to be, many times through that phone call i wanted to hangup, but i didn't because i wanted the bonus, but i will never use other than 0,0,0 and my personal info.

Last edited by ninim2200; May 22, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 1:20 pm

Datapoint: the second two offers for the Alaska Personal cards (the offers with the $100 credit) aren't working quite right.

The page loads, but once I start filling in the form it reloads and says: "System Unavailable - We’re sorry for any inconvenience, but the system is currently down. Please try again later."

I've tried in two different browsers and get the same result. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old May 22, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by OrvillesMoustache
Datapoint: the second two offers for the Alaska Personal cards (the offers with the $100 credit) aren't working quite right.

The page loads, but once I start filling in the form it reloads and says: "System Unavailable - We’re sorry for any inconvenience, but the system is currently down. Please try again later."

I've tried in two different browsers and get the same result. Anyone else have this happen to them?
I believe BOA system is down today. Someone on reddit also said the same thing. Maybe try again tomorrow?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:10 pm

Lesson learned!
Old May 22, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I think some people have been successful waiting a lot less time between closing their AS card and applying for a new one. YMMV of course.
Time between closing and applying is not the same as time between applications, especially for people who don't MS and don't have a single large purchase that gets their minimum spend taken care of in a few days.

For people who take a 2 to 3 months to do the minimum spend (perhaps using this card mainly for things they can't pay for with an Amex, while doing minimum spend on an Amex simultaneously?), and then wait another month to get the bonus miles to post, then even just a few days between closing one card and applying for the next card may actually be more than 90 days between applications!
Old May 23, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Has anyone had any luck with getting BoA to post the Alaska miles award prior to statement cut? I met my minimum spend within a few days of getting the card and I have already paid off the balance but my statement cut date is like a month later. Since I already met the initial spend I'd love to get these miles as soon as possible so I can do an award booking for an upcoming trip.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
Has anyone had any luck with getting BoA to post the Alaska miles award prior to statement cut? I met my minimum spend within a few days of getting the card and I have already paid off the balance but my statement cut date is like a month later. Since I already met the initial spend I'd love to get these miles as soon as possible so I can do an award booking for an upcoming trip.
I think a whole bunch of people would be trying (and posting about it) if it were possible. It's an automated process. Exactly how much $$$ do you want to pay for a human to get involved? Ie, I doubt BofA has a procedure to do this, because it would cost them a lot of money, but no one would want to pay, so they haven't come up with a way of requesting that you pay for such a service.

And keep in mind that this the bank that got rid of online chat, presumably to reduce the cost of hiring as many humans.

Meanwhile, for context, keep in mind that some transferable points programs have a faster-than-normal transfer that requires an "expedite fee". I've not heard of anyone offering to transfer your points / miles faster without paying an "expedite fee", but then very few programs even allow you to pay an "expedite fee".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.