Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Czech Republic

Server entered amount

I tapped a U. S. Mastercard via Samsung Pay

DCC choice between Krona or Dollars, selected local currency

Czech amount approved as CDCVM over the limit
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Server entered amount

Sounds like contactless in and of itself won't be enough to avoid being asked about DCC if the terminal is particularly non-compliant. However, the good news is that you were allowed to opt out; I imagine use of a phone/watch precluded the server from, say, tapping your contactless card for you and going through the prompts without your input.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Sounds like contactless in and of itself won't be enough to avoid being asked about DCC if the terminal is particularly non-compliant. However, the good news is that you were allowed to opt out; I imagine use of a phone/watch precluded the server from, say, tapping your contactless card for you and going through the prompts without your input.
I would still say contactless is a lot more effective than chip-and-signature transactions. I have a post I'm preparing for Australia with ANZ terminals. DCC was only presented with chip-and-signature transactions. Mobile payments and contactless on the card bypassed DCC completely.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
I have a post I'm preparing for Australia with ANZ terminals. DCC was only presented with chip-and-signature transactions.
Doesn't that make it pretty much USA-only DCC? Does anywhere other than the USA use chip-and-signature?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Doesn't that make it pretty much USA-only DCC? Does anywhere other than the USA use chip-and-signature?
I imagine chip and PIN causes DCC too, just that most Americans won't have PIN preferring cards and thus won't necessarily be able to conclude such.

Also, the US isn't the only chip and signature country. Mexico used it (until recently, IIRC), as well as a fair bit of Asia and South America.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:45 pm

Just came back from a trip to Italy and Greece. Have not encountered any DCC in Italy. In Greece every ATM threw a DCC prompt in my face but it was possible to deselect it. The rate was actually pretty good (1.120 vs, Visa's 1.118). Credit cards at a couple of restaurants and shops also offered DCC post-PIN entry, with USD being the default choice. In every case I was asked whether I wanted $ or € and in every case my choice of € was granted without further discussion. At one restaurant the waiter actually suggested that I choose € before I had a chance to respond.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Server entered amount

Perhaps a minor point, but Krona is actually Swedish currency.

Koruna, also like Swedish Krona meaning crown, is the Czech currency.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
I imagine chip and PIN causes DCC too, just that most Americans won't have PIN preferring cards and thus won't necessarily be able to conclude such.
Correct. We only had USD cards, all signature only except my Barclays Aviator, which would be signature preferring even in Australia. The only PIN entries I've seen in Australia have been with 1) the CityRail Opal vending machines - but I now have both my and Mrs. Majuki's Opal cards linked to my CSR online - and 2) pay at the pump transactions. During the trip last week, none of the gas stations offered pay at the pump, so I was able to do contactless with my CSR inside at all stations.

Outside of hotels, the only bank whose terminal I've seen have DCC in Australia is ANZ's. Last week, klashn, terrversay, gpen1827, and I spent three days at Yulara (Ayers Rock Resorts), and only some of the restaurants in the town square featured DCC. Both Kulata Academy Café and Ayers Wok Noodle Bar had DCC. The user controls the terminal throughout the transaction, so pressing the yellow (bottom middle) button at the DCC prompt results in AUD. With a number of cards, we tried contactless with the physical card, Apple Pay, and Google Pay, and none of the transactions ever showed the DCC prompts. We did not have a chip-and-PIN preferring card to test, but I imagine a non-AUD card would have resulted in DCC.

The hotel in Yulara was prepaid, so no DCC there, and I used AmEx for both of my Hilton stays. The Hilton properties use Currency Select, which is the same as the Marriott properties. Back before the merger, I did encounter DCC at the Sydney Marriott, but I posted my opt out experience there on this thread's predecessor. I imagine the procedure hasn't changed. Hertz, at least as of now, doesn't have DCC, and I've been renting from them in Australia for 8 years.

While not 100% effective, I've observed contactless avoiding DCC, either with the card or mobile payment, consistently in all known DCC locations that I've seen personally. I know this is not universal given the data points from above, but I would say the protection is highly effective.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I had a type of DCC notification that I'd not seen before at an Ibis hotel in Thailand. The system outputs a separate printout offering THB or your home currency. It lists the exchange rate being used and claims a mark-up of 3.00%. Then you choose whether to be ripped off or not and your final receipt is printed separately.

In reality, the amount quoted for USD would have been 4.77% more than the amount the THB charge converted to.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kremmen
The system outputs a separate printout offering THB or your home currency. It lists the exchange rate being used and claims a mark-up of 3.00%. Then you choose whether to be ripped off or not and your final receipt is printed separately.
This quote slip is common in Thailand and Taiwan. I think it's also present in some DCC implementations elsewhere in SE Asia, but I haven't seen it personally outside of Taiwan.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Japan also
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I think I saw something similar in Hungary as well, but it was presented along with the receipt for my PIN transaction (First Tech MC) in HUF. I had thought it was something specific to their POS setup, but seemed a lot like the one described here.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

Beware when buying Switzerland train ticket
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miklcct

Beware when buying Switzerland train ticket
Did you get stuck with HKD or were you able to select CHF? From the screen shot it seems you had a choice somewhere.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Did you get stuck with HKD or were you able to select CHF? From the screen shot it seems you had a choice somewhere.
I clicked the CHF button.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.