Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by kayanco
In reference to Post #290 , I thought one of the benefits of having a PIN card was that the PIN protected against auto-DCC? Because you'd select/reject DCC before entering pin, and know exactly how much you are charged and in what currency BEFORE entering pin?

Thanks.
I've also noticed that not all terminals are programmed to display the amount when showing the PIN prompt. For instance in Jordan the terminal clearly displayed the amount and currency, but in Denmark it was just "Enter the PIN".
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Yes, but it's best to retain the terminal after entering the PIN to opt out of DCC if offered.
Useful advice.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The Royal Park Hotel The Haneda offered me DCC, which is the first (and will be the only time) on my three country trip over the last 10 days when I saw any DCC. I wasn't paying close attention to the quoted markup, but the exchange rate was 0.0093 USD/JPY with an offer of $103.23 on ¥11,000. The choice was fully informed, and I was presented with a quotation slip like in Taiwan before the transaction was processed. It looks like the transaction processed and is pending with the non-DCC amount as well. I will follow up once the transaction posts.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Got DCCed at the end of my 10 day Australia Asia trip in the duty free store in PVG. Signature receipt shows RMB/USD option, I clearly marked RMB and asked the agent to select RMB. He said 'RMB? what you say?' and showed me the terminal which had no choice to pick. Of course after he hit the green button twice a receipt printed with no indication of what was picked either. Chase duly showed 47.95$ instead of 305 RMB.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Got DCCed at the end of my 10 day Australia Asia trip in the duty free store in PVG. Signature receipt shows RMB/USD option, I clearly marked RMB and asked the agent to select RMB. He said 'RMB? what you say?' and showed me the terminal which had no choice to pick. Of course after he hit the green button twice a receipt printed with no indication of what was picked either. Chase duly showed 47.95$ instead of 305 RMB.
He knew how to pick, or at least a manager did. Often it's press red/cancel.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllieKat
He knew how to pick, or at least a manager did. Often it's press red/cancel.
I haven't been to Mainland China yet, only HK and Macau, but I thought there were some terminals in China that were locked down without an option to avoid DCC? (Even in HK, percysmith and I couldn't opt out with a HK BoC terminal.)

Are you going to pursue a Reason Code 76 chargeback, oliver2002?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I thought there were some terminals in China that were locked down without an option to avoid DCC?
[...]
Yes it looked like a locked down terminal.

Code 76: let me see if Chase CSR has a easy way to do that.... lot on my plate before xmas...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:03 am

I haven't been to Mainland China yet, only HK and Macau, but I thought there were some terminals in China that were locked down without an option to avoid DCC? (Even in HK, percysmith and I couldn't opt out with a HK BoC terminal.)

Some they have to go back and enter the slip later, just like how tip adjustment is done in the US. Amazingly, shockingly, when I encountered that in Hong Kong, they honoured it!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
@oliver2002 who was the acquirer bank on the card slip? Normally identified for a PRC slip.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes it looked like a locked down terminal.

Code 76: let me see if Chase CSR has a easy way to do that.... lot on my plate before xmas...
It's easy... you can do it online. I think the reason is other. Chase is familiar with DCC at this point.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Some they have to go back and enter the slip later, just like how tip adjustment is done in the US. Amazingly, shockingly, when I encountered that in Hong Kong, they honoured it!
From what I remember, there was no way to adjust it after the fact. I believe percysmith had specifically asked the cashier if there was any input possible after the transaction processed, and she said no. However, I do know what you're talking about as it relates to DCC in HK. There are the check boxes, and the cashier is supposed to select the option after the transaction like a tip adjust. A best practice here to make sure that your currency selection was honored is to ask for a courtesy copy. (I have examples from a few years ago.) In HK you can ask for a reprint, and most merchants will know what you're talking about. The other good thing about HK is they largely favor carbon copy receipts. In situations where there is a separate customer receipt, I usually take a photo of the receipt that I have signed to indicate any currency choice (or opt out of DCC).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
AMEX now allowing DCC?

Apologies if I missed an update on this earlier in the thread.

I have a number of unauthorized European DCC transacations on my US AMEX card. I was under the impression that AMEX didn’t even support DCC or had this changed?

Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
Apologies if I missed an update on this earlier in the thread.

I have a number of unauthorized European DCC transacations on my US AMEX card. I was under the impression that AMEX didn’t even support DCC or had this changed?

Thanks.
AmEx, as a network, doesn't support DCC. Could you explain exactly what happened? The receipts were showing USD?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
AmEx, as a network, doesn't support DCC. Could you explain exactly what happened? The receipts were showing USD?
Yes - invoice/bill was in EUR but was subsequently charged to my AMEX in $ with usual terrible exchange rate.

Since my earlier post I contacted AMEX customer service and was told that AMEX does allow DCC(??) and if I can’t resolve directly with the vendor I can ask them (AMEX) to liaise in a three way conference call.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes - invoice/bill was in EUR but was subsequently charged to my AMEX in $ with usual terrible exchange rate.

Since my earlier post I contacted AMEX customer service and was told that AMEX does allow DCC(??) and if I can’t resolve directly with the vendor I can ask them (AMEX) to liaise in a three way conference call.
Card present transaction (true DCC)

Or multi-currency conversion akin to Airbnb (not DCC)?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:30 am

Maybe two years ago, or a bit less, I got a letter from American Express advising me of a change to their terms of service that said they were allowing DCC. I hoped it was simply a 'cover their back' thing that wouldn't really be implemented...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.