Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by hightide
I complained as I never agreed to the DCC amount. The travel agent who processed my payment had no idea she ran the transaction in USD instead of GBP so I told her that I wanted to speak to her manager.
Unfortunately, the training provided in using credit card terminals in the UK is generally quite poor, especially at small businesses or franchises. I regularly find staff in smaller businesses have no idea what to do when prompted with anything unusual (e.g. DCC, declined payments, referrals, cards without chips).

Don't get me started on how my dentist made me driving a 12-miles round trip through the city centre to make a payment because they had no idea how to process a request for authorisation over the phone.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Unfortunately, the training provided in using credit card terminals in the UK is generally quite poor, especially at small businesses or franchises. I regularly find staff in smaller businesses have no idea what to do when prompted with anything unusual (e.g. DCC, declined payments, referrals, cards without chips).

Don't get me started on how my dentist made me driving a 12-miles round trip through the city centre to make a payment because they had no idea how to process a request for authorisation over the phone.
Ironically, right at the bottom of STA Travel's website, they discourage DCC:
http://www.statravel.co.uk/cashcard-topup.htm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmapr
Just pay it now and if it doesn't show up I'm sure you'll find a way to spend an extra $9.45 in the next billing cycle
Originally Posted by Happy
Chase website would NOT let me pay an amount above what is currently outstanding, including any pending. It grayed out the statement balance because it was already paid. It wont let me put in an amount that is more than the total of currently posted plus pending.
Originally Posted by dmapr
I recall being able to "transfer" an arbitrary amount from my checking/savings to my credit card account at any point, but it does require that you have a checking/savings with them. But you should still be able to send a check, no?
The saga continues.

Yesterday I did what you said and transferred an amount slightly more than covering both a pending dining charge AND the Net $9.45 I was told by the Chase CSR, from my Chase checking account. It did allow me to do it. So I thought it finally ends.

NOPE! This morning I checked Chase one more time before heading out to the cruise terminal later. I found my Available Credit was reduced but there was no pending billing to show that. After some reconciliation (due to the payment would have resulted a small credit but now I actually "owe".), I found that the full $49.45 IS now being "rebilled" as the Available Credit Limit is reduced by the Net of $49.45 + the overage credit resulted by the overpayment yesterday.

The $40 credit promised by the CSR IS NOT included in the Available Credit.

Last Thursday I saw the Available Credit was affected by a NET of $9.45. Now it is affected by a $49.45.

Since I bought TLL-HEL ferry tickets this morning at 44 euro, I went ahead transferring $100 from the checking account to cover both the $49.45 and the ferry tickets which I am not sure it would be treated as Travel until it is billed. (Still have lust under $50 travel credit to use for 2017).

Now I will not have internet access or at least affordable access from this afternoon thru May 1st the first port of call on the mainland. Satellite internet on the ship is ultra slow and ultra expensive at $070 per minute...

What a STUPID thing to do by going thru the full blown RC 76 dispute for a $2.35 difference. I would just write it off to begin with but the obsession of some posters here got to me and I foolish to do this "for the team" even though I am skeptical on the worthiness of such. Turns out my original hunch is right. It is totally NOT worth it.

It has caused tons of work for Chase and tons of time to follow up from me. Totally NOT worth the trouble. A very simple phone call on the DCC difference without all this gymnastic would be a much quicker resolution. In any case, it is the US Banks absorb the scam charge. Those who think that going thru the formal dispute process would make things better in the future, you are living in a pipe dream.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 19, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Can Chase reverse credit card refunds into check account? I don't have US banking experience but in HK this can be arranged for incoming credit card refunds.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 19, 2017 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:21 am
mzx

Seeing a big uptick in DCC in Hong Kong in the past 4 or 5 months particularly at restaurants (Mak Mak, Beef & Liberty & Big Fernand). Always try to stress to staff to please process in Hong Kong Dollars and they almost always say:
1) Yes, sure, we always do (but of course it goes through with DCC added)
2) There’s not choice on the terminal

Had success disputing with Chase but it’s a lot of paperwork, postcards & voicemails from India (very hard to call back).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mzx
Seeing a big uptick in DCC in Hong Kong in the past 4 or 5 months particularly at restaurants (Mak Mak, Beef & Liberty & Big Fernand). Always try to stress to staff to please process in Hong Kong Dollars and they almost always say:
1) Yes, sure, we always do (but of course it goes through with DCC added)
2) There’s not choice on the terminal

Had success disputing with Chase but it’s a lot of paperwork, postcards & voicemails from India (very hard to call back).
Thanks for the report. Were these locations previously not offering DCC and now do? Or have they changed their acquirer where they allowed opting out and now do not?

In Hong Kong, especially with the carbon copy receipts, you have good evidence for filing a chargeback. I also request a courtesy copy or reprint. It will show whether or not you're safe:

In the case of DCC, you can request that the merchant void the transaction and retry to see if there is a facility for opting out or with another card.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Now I am really furious, PayPal has started DCC!
Old May 1, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by marbe166
Now I am really furious, PayPal has started DCC!
This is not new, sadly. They've done it for many years.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Originally Posted by AllieKat
This is not new, sadly. They've done it for many years.
It has always been possible to opt out, though. After some further investigation it turns out that the default setting for my cards have been changed from "Charge in currency of seller's invoice" to "Paypal conversion to Card's home currency" without my knowledge or notification.

I urge everyone to log in to their PayPal account and check the status of their cards wrt currency conversion.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
About 10 days ago my Paypal account for recurring payments on MasterCard had suddenly changed from seller invoice currency to PayPal DCC. Also my payment in store (I only use at certain Shell petrol stations in the U.K.) had changed source from an Amex to my current bank account.

Obviously I did not make either change. Naughty PayPal....

Last edited by rjn21; May 1, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old May 3, 2017, 5:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Japan now has compulsory DCC

Supplied by kaka, infringing merchant is Kokumin Drugstore at Odori, Sapporo, no asking and cannot be reversed.

Breaks the assumption Japan is compliant even if DCC is offered.

Last edited by percysmith; May 3, 2017 at 5:56 am
Old May 3, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Supplied by kaka, infringing merchant is Kokumin Drugstore at Odori, Sapporo, no asking and cannot be reversed.

DCC is such a nasty plague.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by percysmith

You mean the machine puts in the tick/check mark for you?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:33 pm

Any idea on what to do with a non-compliant Japanese website? The website used forced DCC: I can neither pay in my local currency nor in the merchant's local currency but only in the currency of a third country which is incorrectly identified as my card's billing currency. I need to use the website once in a while and therefore can't risk being declared a persona non grata by the website owner, so it's a bit risky to file for a chargeback. Is there a way to anonymously report the website to VISA or to the authorities to have this shortcoming rectified?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:16 pm

https://usa.visa.com/Forms/merchant-...aint-form.html - use the 'other' checkbox.

But be sure that this is actually a DCC situation. If they process all cards through a merchant account in, say, the US, they can still charge you USD even if your card is in, say, CAD. This would only be against policy if the site shows prices in JPY but then actually charges you in a different currency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.