Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
My Spanish isn't too good but would something like "quisiera pagar en euros, por favor" work (obviously before they push the USD button for you)? Otherwise, there's always the chargeback route.

As for ATMs, I think that's one of the less objectionable sources of DCC since it's a lot easier to opt out vs. some purchase situations.
Yeah, he already pushed the USD button and handed me the slip. Whatever.

Its the default, and I have seen the terminals, you have to choose Euros, and then hit Cancel for it to “continue” (finalize) the transaction. If you dont hit cancel it takes you back to the DCC screen.

Not intuitive to have to “cancel” to fnalize a transaction.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Yeah, he already pushed the USD button and handed me the slip. Whatever.

Its the default, and I have seen the terminals, you have to choose Euros, and then hit Cancel for it to “continue” (finalize) the transaction. If you dont hit cancel it takes you back to the DCC screen.
Say this: Si hay opción, pulse el botón por euros.

For the transaction that has already occurred, I would do a chargeback. Was there a signature slip?

I also find DCC at ATMs less objectionable since there I've never had a forced DCC situation with an ATM. The ATM might have multiple prompts implying that the sky is falling if you don't accept DCC, but I've always been able to opt out.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Majuki
Say this: Si hay opción, pulse el botón por euros.

For the transaction that has already occurred, I would do a chargeback. Was there a signature slip?

I also find DCC at ATMs less objectionable since there I've never had a forced DCC situation with an ATM. The ATM might have multiple prompts implying that the sky is falling if you don't accept DCC, but I've always been able to opt out.
"pulse x" sounds a little mechanical, like what you'd hear when calling an airline or credit card...

Just keep it simple and say "Quiero pagar en Euros por favor" (I want to pay in Euro please)

If they then issue a receipt in USD you already said "quiero pagar en Euros"
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
In case of a more challenging language barrier, I think they would understand "NO dollars! (Zloty, baht, etc)!" delivered with an emphatic negative on the first, and positive insistence on the second.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
"pulse x" sounds a little mechanical, like what you'd hear when calling an airline or credit card...

Just keep it simple and say "Quiero pagar en Euros por favor" (I want to pay in Euro please)

If they then issue a receipt in USD you already said "quiero pagar en Euros"
While simpler, a problem with that phrasing is that there could be cases where the waitstaff are unfamiliar with DCC - it does happen - and the cashier would be thinking, "Well, of course it will be euros. What else would it be?" while repeatedly pressing the green button through the prompts, including DCC.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, the staff usually press the green button impatiently to get the payment done and over with.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
@Majuki good point! DCC preys on ignorance at all levels....
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Zorak saw DCC at a Santander ATM in Spain. for 250.00 EUR the quoted DCC conversation was 297.02 USD. The Visa rate for that date was 274.22 USD. This represents a DCC conversion that was $22.80 higher and 8.3% over the Visa rate. Visa and MC should require that the rate includes the markup over their network rates.

Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:09 am

Portugal has been much better about DCC. Most places default to Euros, and its easy to opt out if not.
AMEX is no go here, and cash is used more.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:33 pm

DPs from a recent trip to Europe:

Prague:
  • Euronet ATM at airport offered conversion with somewhere in the neighborhood of 8% markup IIRC in addition to 2000 CZK minimum withdrawal (~90 usd including fee)
  • Other bank ATMs offered conversion with smaller 3-4% markup
  • ATM choices to debit in CZK were respected
  • No DCC encountered elsewhere (restaurants, regular retail shops)
Munich: No DCC offered at bank ATMs, regular shops

Switzerland:
  • DCC offered only at railway ticket windows and machines at a 3-4% markup. Choice to debit in CHF respected
  • No bank ATM DCC
  • No DCC encountered otherwise
Got to wonder how many suckers would accept DCC in Switzerland with a USD denominated card, given CHF is essentially pegged to USD.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:15 am

currently happening a lot in restaurants in europe
at the time you pay, you are offered the "choice" of paying in EUR or USD
supposedly, you will be happier not being subject to possible exchange
rate variations, and knowing that you have a fixed bill in USD
what nobody tells you that the exchange rate they use is atrocious
(to the benefit of the restaurant and visa - amex forbids the practice)
so the 100EUR dining, would have converted to USd114 if paid in EUR
however, with this system it converts to USD125, AND YOU SIGN THE
BILL FROM THE CREDIT CARD POS in USD. - so that is the ammount'
you accepted without noticing. ....
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by isveres
currently happening a lot in restaurants in europe
at the time you pay, you are offered the "choice" of paying in EUR or USD
supposedly, you will be happier not being subject to possible exchange
rate variations, and knowing that you have a fixed bill in USD
what nobody tells you that the exchange rate they use is atrocious
(to the benefit of the restaurant and visa - amex forbids the practice)
so the 100EUR dining, would have converted to USd114 if paid in EUR
however, with this system it converts to USD125, AND YOU SIGN THE
BILL FROM THE CREDIT CARD POS in USD. - so that is the ammount'
you accepted without noticing. ....
The practice is known as "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and it's certainly nothing new.....it can even be offered at ATMs. Rule of thumb is to always ask to be charged in the local currency.

Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AmEx doesn't permit this which is a big advantage in favor of using only AmEx abroad whenever possible.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:49 am

US law requires banks in a non DCCC transaction to show the amount in the foreign currency, the rate of exchange and any added on fees. If your billing statement does not show this info, it's a DCC transaction. Check your statement for that info.

Also download FX app to your phone and easily see what the US rate should be instantly at the merchant if you have any sort of reasonable data plan in foreign lands.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by JEFFJAGUAR; Oct 29, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The practice is known as "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and it's certainly nothing new.....it can even be offered at ATMs. Rule of thumb is to always ask to be charged in the local currency.

DCC at restaurants / retailers / hotels have been in practice for over a decade.

We first saw ATMs displayed the DCC traps were 4 years ago in Turkey, from Turkish banks in Adana to Societe Generale at Bodrum. Since then it is much wide-spread. Always read the screen carefully and always opt for Decline Conversion. A few weeks ago we saw the BNL d'Italia ATM in Bologna display the DCC option screen. BNL d'Italia is owned by BNP France fwiw.

Recently I read about the ubiquitous Blue Euronet ATMs do not give such option but DCC you without any warning. These ATMs are very easy to identify, they are stand alone, display the Euronet name and logo. in Blue and Yellow design.

Avoid the stand alone ATMs and always use one that is either next or inside the foyer of a bank - this has an added advantage - should the machine eats your card, you have immediate recourse if it happens during the banking hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.