Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
I've been seeing this more and more and am tired of signing credit card receipts "Declined" and then protesting to bank/credit card company to get what is admittedly not very many dollars back. Had it happen at an ATM in Sicily two weeks ago (EURONET ATM). I'm sure I declined it as I've done many times, but I knew something was wrong when it didn't print a receipt when I asked it to. I then logged into my bank account within an hour, saw an outrageous charge in USD, and immediately sent email to EURONET asking them to reverse and then charge in Euro's. They refused and insisted that I agreed to what they called a convenient and competitive rate. I asked appeals process and they told me to go to my bank which I will do when they open tomorrow.
I guess the last resort is have another pair of hands and video-record every ATM transaction you conduct outside your country.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Barciur
I was given two receipts, one with the standard item list / total / tip / total w/tip / thing and then the terminal print out receipt at the end. I did not get to sign that one - the one which says I agreed to it did not have any signature line. I only signed the standard one in CAD.

I did not protest it because I did not see it at first, which is my mistake. Especially being on here, I should have been very vigilant. To my defense, this was at the end of a 4 day trip to Canada and I had not experienced anything like this at all on the trip and I've dined in a number of places with a similar set up, so my vigilance was soft.
This doesn't sound like a compliant process at all and would hold up to a chargeback. (I always take a photo of signature slips, even in the US, to prevent any funny business with padding the tip line.) If you did not sign a DCC verbiage receipt, you never agreed to DCC.

Originally Posted by moondog
I don't follow this thread so closely these days because I have become used to paying an extra 2 bucks. As much as I dislike the concept of DCC, it's simply not worth causing a scene over it on a $50 dinner (e.g. I'm now blacklisted from a handful of restaurants) or hounding my cc company after the fact.

On a more positive note, DCC is less and less of an issue in Shanghai.
Like tmiw said, that's what they count on. In Mainland China I use my affiliated AmEx for Hilton or Marriott hotels and UnionPay for everyday transactions. I've found that restaurants and the like often don't code in bonus categories anyway, so it's not a loss using the UnionPay with 1% cash back. As a last resort, I use cash the few places where it's possible these days.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I guess the last resort is have another pair of hands and video-record every ATM transaction you conduct outside your country.
Didn't we all have a similar conversation a few years back about overseas merchants refusing our mag stripe only cards? "The merchant is required to accept all cards." I can see a similar line of, "When presented with the option, select local currency."
Old May 29, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
This presumes that the amount prints out on the same screen as the PIN prompt, no? At least in the US, this doesn't seem to happen--assuming the terminal even has PIN enabled at all, which is becoming less common outside of the merchants that support PIN debit
That's how terminals over here are configured--after inserting the card, the screen will say "Total 123.45 EUR / Enter PIN + OK" for PIN cards. I can't recall ever seeing a terminal in Europe that didn't have some variation of that prompt; for C&S cards it's "Total 123.45 EUR / OK?" so a clerk could OK it for you, which the PIN prevents. Even at kiosks where you've completed your order on the main screen and have the total right in front of you, the card reader screen will still display the amount with the PIN prompt.

Even at major chain stores, all the POS does is pass the amount to the terminal--there's very little integration.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
That's how terminals over here are configured--after inserting the card, the screen will say "Total 123.45 EUR / Enter PIN + OK" for PIN cards. I can't recall ever seeing a terminal in Europe that didn't have some variation of that prompt; for C&S cards it's "Total 123.45 EUR / OK?" so a clerk could OK it for you, which the PIN prevents. Even at kiosks where you've completed your order on the main screen and have the total right in front of you, the card reader screen will still display the amount with the PIN prompt.

Even at major chain stores, all the POS does is pass the amount to the terminal--there's very little integration.
Yeah, the lack of standardization in the US is one of the worst parts of the whole thing. It would have been nice if there were some actual mandates, even if that meant stuff like "all PIN support must be disabled on terminals". Heck, there are issues getting stores to print the required EMV info on receipts, never mind everything else. That discussion is probably better suited for the EMV/contactless thread though.

As for DCC, considering how uncommon PIN preference is for US cards, I'm not sure that can really be considered a viable option. The good news is that contactless, more often than not, probably is--at least in Europe. Hopefully the latter continues to be a reliable method of DCC avoidance. ^
Old May 29, 2019, 9:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
for C&S cards it's "Total 123.45 EUR / OK?" so a clerk could OK it for you, which the PIN prevents.
That's what my deli purchase at El Cortes Ingles did.
The terminal's user input was malfuncitioning, so it took a while for the prompt to time out and for the transaction to default in Euros.

No DCC option at dinner.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Got DCCed at Hertz in Ireland. Didn't see it on the receipt the guy at returns gave me until I got home. A little over a 5% markup.

Sent a letter to Hertz Ireland and corporate in the US giving them an opportunity to correct before I file a chargeback.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LASNRT
Got DCCed at Hertz in Ireland. Didn't see it on the receipt the guy at returns gave me until I got home. A little over a 5% markup.

Sent a letter to Hertz Ireland and corporate in the US giving them an opportunity to correct before I file a chargeback.
The "I have been offered a choice" verbiage continues to infuriate me in cases where this is clearly not true.
IndyHoosier and LASNRT like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

Hmmm...is this the type where they card-not-present charge you in the back end? No payment in card terminal?
Old May 31, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Hmmm...is this the type where they card-not-present charge you in the back end? No payment in card terminal?
Yeah, I gave them the card when I rented the car, and when I dropped it off the guy just printed a receipt out of his hand held gizmo and suggested I run towards the shuttle that was about to leave (after verbally saying “yeah there aren’t any extra charges.”)
Old May 31, 2019, 2:59 am

Yeah, I gave them the card when I rented the car, and when I dropped it off the guy just printed a receipt out of his hand held gizmo and suggested I run towards the shuttle that was about to leave (after verbally saying “yeah there aren’t any extra charges.”)
"2 A Cardholder must actively make a selection (for example: checking a box or button) and the DCC option must not be pre-selected."

Wonder how that's been complied with in Hertz's proceses. Probably your path to charge back.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
If Hertz is like Avis (no idea, I don’t use hertz) there is a check box in the online “Avis Preferred” profile which must be unselected otherwise it charges in the home currency of the card used.

Also some franchise locations have a hidden DCC consent in the mountain of paperwork you initial “here, here, here, here and here” or it’s hidden in the full Ts & Cs that you have to click through to review if they have one of the newer e-signature / squiggle terminals where there is no paper but for a short rental confirmation.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:55 pm

What about an Avis rental without a preferred account? I am renting from them in Canada in July.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:23 pm

Update on my Hertz DCC in Ireland in post 636. 2 days later I've received a response in my email:

"Thank you for contacting Hertz.
I have requested that the end of rental charges be reversed and billed in Euro as requested. This process may take up to 10 working days to be visible on your account."

Easier than I thought! I don't know if being a President's Circle member helped or not, but at least they're doing the right thing.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:28 pm

I do remember that in my Avis account - I've just gone through and checked my Hertz profile and there isn't a spot to check for local / card currency billing.

I did scan somewhat thoroughly (I don't even know what "somewhat thoroughly" means to be honest) the screens that I was initialing, but I was specifically looking for currency choice actually. I was a bit peeved that, although my CSR actually DID cover the CDW in Ireland (few cards do), they forced me to accept their €7/day supplemental insurance charge for declining CDW. (My choice was to accept the charge, pay the CDW, or not get the car.) I expressed my displeasure in the email about this as well, but that wasn't addressed. My annoyance at that could have caused me to miss the DCC in the screens to initial to be honest, even though I was looking for it.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I was a bit peeved that, although my CSR actually DID cover the CDW in Ireland (few cards do), they forced me to accept their €7/day supplemental insurance charge for declining CDW. (My choice was to accept the charge, pay the CDW, or not get the car.) I expressed my displeasure in the email about this as well, but that wasn't addressed.
If I were you, I'd dispute that supplemental insurance charge with Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.