Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have US based Visa credit card issued by Chase that I use quite a bit for travel related expenses. Hence I have to be on the lookout for DCC.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Singapore, I forget the particulars but a UOB ATM at Harbourfront (I think in the MRT fare area) offered DCC.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:57 am

I was in Ukraine last weekend and came across an interesting DCC example at a PrivatBank (ПриватБанк) ATM.

Put my GBP debit card in the machine, asked to withdraw a few thousand UAH. Offered DCC, as expected. But it was changing it to EUR, not GBP. So my bank would still have to do a conversion. Rejected this and was offered it again. Refused a second time, next screen informs me there is a 150 UAH (~£4.25) fee for no-conversion. So I cancel transaction.

Another nearby ATM (IdeaBank) offered no DCC and had no charge - just the way I like it.

Otherwise I used a GBP credit card in bars, cafes, restaurants and shops seeing no DCC anywhere. Contactless and phone payments are very widely accepted, with some more expensive stores preferring it to cash.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Put my GBP debit card in the machine, asked to withdraw a few thousand UAH. Offered DCC, as expected. But it was changing it to EUR, not GBP. So my bank would still have to do a conversion. Rejected this and was offered it again. Refused a second time, next screen informs me there is a 150 UAH (~£4.25) fee for no-conversion. So I cancel transaction.
I think you'd have a valid chargeback case.

The wrong card currency was identified, which should mean that you always are entitled to a correction of the currency to UAH if you used DCC. Also, it's not permitted to use fees or discounts to convince you to use DCC, so the fee should have been returned to you if you didn't use DCC.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I recently saw advertising for the Travelex prepaid card and I just realized something: with a currency conversion fee at 5.5%, use of such a card may be one of the few times where DCC makes sense. Assuming the DCC fee is below 5.5%, of course.

That said, there are much better cards than Travelex (even just paying the 3% FTF on a regular debit or credit card is better), so I imagine most people wouldn't even consider getting one. Not to mention that DCC in general is a horrible concept that shouldn't be encouraged at all.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
A small hotel in Spain. Booked through booking.com, but full bill to pay on checkout. Very clear € bill. Very clear € instructions given. Very clear € on pin machine. Charged in GB£. Disgusting print out from terminal - "0% commission over wholesale rate". Actually a 6.5% markup over mastercard's daily rate. Charge back effected via NatWest. No replacement € charge made yet, but I'm happy if the hotel does that. It was a very small B&B type place and the owner appeared to not be overly commercially aware, so it may be Banco Popular (the terminal provider) over charging, or the owner is a good actor.

ETA: The MasterCard charge back code is now 4834 - p.168
https://www.mastercard.us/content/da...back-guide.pdf

Last edited by rjn21; Mar 19, 2019 at 1:17 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Argh, last week I was DCCed at Europcar in Munich. The agent stuck my CSR Visa in a new terminal they have now to capture the credit card information and rapidly pressed buttons to get things done... I briefly saw the USD question but she was to fast. The rental contract mentioned something about the card currency and I asked her to fix it. Since I was in a rush I didn't have the patience and she insisted I would be charged in Euro. Sure enough the invoice says:

So instead of the interbank rate of 1.128 and a 44.70US$ charge they hit me with 1.163 and 46.10$ Disputed it today with Chase, who will refund me the 1.40 as usual, but its still annoying.
Last week I was at the same station again and this time the agent handed me the terminal to operate. Sure enough a DCC question popped up where you had press the red button for no. The charge came in EUR and all was good. When I told the agent about the previous time she immediately responded with "that is why I tell my boss to let the customers push the buttons on the terminal" she was very inquisitive about DCC and didn't know that a mark up of 5% was involved. She mentioned that customers from the Gulf and the US preferred to be charged in their home currency.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by rjn21
ETA: The MasterCard charge back code is now 4834 - p.168
https://www.mastercard.us/content/da...back-guide.pdf
From what I've read, it still seems to be 4846?

Originally Posted by oliver2002
She mentioned that customers from the Gulf and the US preferred to be charged in their home currency.
My guess is they don't know they're being ripped off.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
From what I've read, it still seems to be 4846?
The pdf states:
POI Currency Conversion (Dynamic Currency Conversion) Chargeback Condition. One of the following:
1. The cardholder states that the cardholder was not given the opportunity to choose the desired currency in which the transaction was completed or did not agree to the currency of the transaction
2. POI currency conversion was performed incorrectly
Time Frame. 120 calendar days from the Central Site Business Date.
Message Reason Code. One of the following:
• 4834 for Dual Message System transactions

• 34 for Debit Mastercard transactions processed on the Single Message System
The following message reason codes may continue to be used, however, they will eventually be eliminated:
• 4846 (Correct Transaction Currency Code Not Provided) for Dual Message System transactions

• 46 (Correct Transaction Currency Code Not Provided) for Debit Mastercard transactions processed
on the Single Message System
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like DCC will no longer be allowed for prepaid Mastercards starting this summer: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8867606.html
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Looks like DCC will no longer be allowed for prepaid Mastercards starting this summer: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8867606.html
That's not what that article said.

.........it is extending the ban to multi-currency prepaid cards, which typically carry funds in sterling and either euros or dollars.

Mastercard says that if a prepaid card contains the local currency the customer should not be offered the option to pay in sterling – since such people have already decided to pay in the local currency.
That's a tiny subset of MC prepaid cards. Certainly nothing of this sort is offered in USA. DCC is not allowed only if your prepaid MC contains local currency. To avoid DCC in Mexico, for example, your card must contain MXN. A USD based MC prepaid card is still subject to DCC.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's a tiny subset of MC prepaid cards. Certainly nothing of this sort is offered in USA. DCC is not allowed only if your prepaid MC contains local currency. To avoid DCC in Mexico, for example, your card must contain MXN. A USD based MC prepaid card is still subject to DCC.
The Travelex prepaid card is available in the US but the ~5% currency conversion fee (IIRC) is likely worse than just accepting DCC in some cases.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
The Travelex prepaid card is available in the US but the ~5% currency conversion fee (IIRC) is likely worse than just accepting DCC in some cases.
Thank you. ^ I didn't realize it is available. I suppose I never looked into Travelex as their rates and commissions are universally poor.

You still need to carry a card with local currency to avoid DCC though. If you carry a card with GBP and EUR but charge is in CAD, you are still subject to DCC.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
This leaves other questions.

Let's say a prepaid multi-currency card allows you to deposit MXN. Will the terminal know if the MXN balance is zero, and should this matter to the terminal?

Let's say that you don't have any MXN, but you have EUR, GBP, JPY and USD. Which currency should the merchant offer conversion from? All of them?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: M&M/LH, BAEC/IB, DL, SU, FlyingBlue, AY, AS
Originally Posted by greglvnv
Just done with my stay in Sao Paulo and all I can say is that Amex had a 100% acceptance rate and just a general recommendation: if you want a piece of mind and no DCC troubles, give up your Visa/MC, at least here.
During two months in Brazil I've seen DCC only in Cielo POS terminals. They provide clear instruction for user and most vendors either asked me or selected BRL without reminder. There is another problem in Brazil, especially outside SP & RJ - at many POS they do not accept credit card (Bilhete Único top-up in São Paulo metro for example) or have surcharge for them (there is no or smaller surcharge for debit cards).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.