FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1815627-usa-contactless-credit-debit-transit-2017-2021-a.html)

HkCaGu Dec 31, 2016 10:21 pm

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

168 Market in San Gabriel now has Apple Pay. Maybe 99 Ranch (same company) is getting on board too.

Strange thing was my phone was like 4-5 inches away from the pad when it shook. And it went through.

AllieKat Dec 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 27686848)
168 Market in San Gabriel now has Apple Pay. Maybe 99 Ranch (same company) is getting on board too.

Strange thing was my phone was like 4-5 inches away from the pad when it shook. And it went through.

Apple contactless is VERY strong.

tmiw Jan 1, 2017 2:34 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 27686848)

I think there was a datapoint confirming that 99 Ranch has contactless as well. EMV also seems to be rolling out there too.

emmanuel_t Jan 1, 2017 9:34 am

Is it possible that Ihop may do pay at the table, given Merchant Link, their processor, are a subset of Chase?

emmanuel_t Jan 1, 2017 10:30 am

I noticed Google added an "NFC mobile payments" tag to Google Maps.

tmiw Jan 1, 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t (Post 27688325)
Is it possible that Ihop may do pay at the table, given Merchant Link, their processor, are a subset of Chase?

Perhaps Chase's enforcement mechanism is that they don't allow tip adjust on EMV. That would allow IHOP to continue to have pay at the front, albeit with a tip prompt before insert/swipe/tap.

emmanuel_t Jan 1, 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 27688811)
Perhaps Chase's enforcement mechanism is that they don't allow tip adjust on EMV. That would allow IHOP to continue to have pay at the front, albeit with a tip prompt before insert/swipe/tap.

Hardly any of them around here have pay at the front, though, so perhaps they'll convert to that format?

tmiw Jan 1, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t (Post 27688892)
Hardly any of them around here have pay at the front, though, so perhaps they'll convert to that format?

I believe they'll currently take your card for you but you have the option to pay at the front too. It's been a while but IIRC the ones around here have a POS looking thing at the front with a side-mounted magstripe reader that's kinda difficult to see.

Hawaiian717 Jan 1, 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 27687269)
I think there was a datapoint confirming that 99 Ranch has contactless as well. EMV also seems to be rolling out there too.

I've been using Apple Pay at 99 Ranch for several months now, I think it's been working since they upgraded to the MX915s. I've also confirmed that as of last Thursday evening, EMV was not enabled at the new San Diego-Balboa location (it is enabled at the older San Diego location on Clairemont Mesa Blvd).

RedLight2015 Jan 1, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 27688924)
I believe they'll currently take your card for you but you have the option to pay at the front too. It's been a while but IIRC the ones around here have a POS looking thing at the front with a side-mounted magstripe reader that's kinda difficult to see.

The ones here use a Micros system

emmanuel_t Jan 1, 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015 (Post 27689205)
The ones here use a Micros system

Here, too. I think it's company standard.

tmiw Jan 1, 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t (Post 27689322)
Here, too. I think it's company standard.

Maybe that's what I saw. Will definitely have to go to one again to confirm.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 (Post 27689111)
I've been using Apple Pay at 99 Ranch for several months now, I think it's been working since they upgraded to the MX915s. I've also confirmed that as of last Thursday evening, EMV was not enabled at the new San Diego-Balboa location (it is enabled at the older San Diego location on Clairemont Mesa Blvd).

Still true as of today. The nice thing is that most of the food court at the new one seems to have gotten EMV from the start. Krispy Krunchy Chicken in particular handled PIN correctly by giving me the VX520. ^

emmanuel_t Jan 1, 2017 2:41 pm

I was at AutoZone eariler today. The bloke in front of me kept removing his card (Capital One Debit) too quickly and the machine eventually allowed fallback. The cashier stopped him just as he was about to swipe, and after resetting the PIN pad, was rather stern in instructing him to insert his card and leave it, select yes with the stylus, and enter his PIN.

On another note, contactless worked perfectly with American Express. The amount confirmation was annoying since they already have a line item display, but I digress.

RedLight2015 Jan 1, 2017 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t (Post 27689461)
I was at AutoZone eariler today. The bloke in front of me kept removing his card (Capital One Debit) too quickly and the machine eventually allowed fallback. The cashier stopped him just as he was about to swipe, and after resetting the PIN pad, was rather stern in instructing him to insert his card and leave it, select yes with the stylus, and enter his PIN.

On another note, contactless worked perfectly with American Express. The amount confirmation was annoying since they already have a line item display, but I digress.

Are people still NEW to the chip? LOL! I'm surprised.

tmiw Jan 1, 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015 (Post 27689492)
Are people still NEW to the chip? LOL! I'm surprised.

Maybe he was purposely trying to bypass it. A lot of people really aren't fans.