Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Reported my Wells Fargo signature visa as "damaged" to order a possible contactless replacement card. Not only is it NFC (symbol on the back), but came with a two-sided insert touting contactless ability.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Reported my Wells Fargo signature visa as "damaged" to order a possible contactless replacement card. Not only is it NFC (symbol on the back), but came with a two-sided insert touting contactless ability.
Scan the insert and post here? (Hiding any personal info of course.)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:42 pm

I called WF about the contactless debit cards and they have no date on those yet but they did say summer 2019 which starts today. So it should be soon or within a month hopefully.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
Tore it up along with the cover letter. One side showed tapping a POS with NFC symbol clearly displayed. Other side was more about the ease and benefits, which I believe included encouragement to do so overseas. There was mention of "same 'protection' as chip transactions" presumably to assure folks that theft charges are covered by the issuer more-or-less as a done deal upon reporting them.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I’m proud today of people. I stood here at Costco and I saw more tapping than ever. Come on I hope people do it more in public.

among other things I saw a guy literally keep a comb in his wallet. Tap that LOL!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I’m proud today of people. I stood here at Costco and I saw more tapping than ever. Come on I hope people do it more in public.

among other things I saw a guy literally keep a comb in his wallet. Tap that LOL!
Go to Canada and you'll be even more proud. Almost everyone is tapping there. Until that customer comes up who has to insert... so so slow. And if it is a US Card that needs a signature then even slower.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen too many people tapping physical cards yet (though have heard anecdotally that a lot of people do seem to attempt to), but as mentioned before I do see people using their phones at least a couple of times a week now. Sounds like adoption of the former might be much faster once they become more common.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Here you go. Also requested a replacement card for a damaged card (truth, card had a crack in the plastic) and received a contactless enabled replacement credit card (haven't tried to request a new debit card yet);

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I almost never use debit cards for purchasing, only cash withdrawals. However, I'm planning on ordering a replacement Marriott Visa card soon as well; it's the old type that's no longer offered, but not yet officially discontinued, so it will be interesting to see if they have a contactless version of it.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:12 pm

I haven't seen too many people tapping physical cards yet (though have heard anecdotally that a lot of people do seem to attempt to), but as mentioned before I do see people using their phones at least a couple of times a week now. Sounds like adoption of the former might be much faster once they become more common.
But didn't Chase, Wells Fargo, among several others start to issue contactless cards for its card holders?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are but only for new cards going forward in many cases. A lot of food and beverage transactions will purposely keep the signature slip to increase their chance of having a tip.

​​​​​
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are but only for new cards going forward in many cases. A lot of food and beverage transactions will purposely keep the signature slip to increase their chance of having a tip.​​​​​
To clarify, this is newly issued/replaced cards, not new accounts. That still means that it could take several years before all of their customers have them.

BTW the new Hmart that just opened here does seem to have contactless enabled despite their only advertising Samsung Pay:

(source)

I also saw someone try to use one of the mobile wallets (possibly Samsung Pay) at one of the vendors in the food hall. Of course, since those use the clip-on Magtek readers as mentioned in the other thread, that was apparently a no-go.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA
To clarify, this is newly issued/replaced cards, not new accounts. That still means that it could take several years before all of their customers have them.

BTW the new Hmart that just opened here does seem to have contactless enabled despite their only advertising Samsung Pay:

(source)

I also saw someone try to use one of the mobile wallets (possibly Samsung Pay) at one of the vendors in the food hall. Of course, since those use the clip-on Magtek readers as mentioned in the other thread, that was apparently a no-go.
Ha, I was actually there myself today. Didn't buy anything though but it did look like they were on EMV at least. And got to try the jackfruit.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your H Marts look like superstores. Our PNW ones are like mom-and-pop corner stores by comparison!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:07 am

Your H Marts look like superstores. Our PNW ones are like mom-and-pop corner stores by comparison!
I haven't been to the new one myself yet, but the older one in San Diego was a former Ralph's (SoCal Kroger) location, and the new one was a Sports Authority store, so both pretty decent size. The other Korean supermarket in San Diego, Zion, is in what used to be a Sears Essentials (think Kmart but with Kenmore appliances and such). Our Japanese grocery stores (Nijiya, Mitsua, and Marukai/Tokyo Central) are all smaller, with Marukai/Tokyo Central split into three different buildings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.