Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Mrs. vanillabean started her Real ID application process today by filling out a form online to get a head start on her visit at DMV. She already had an appointment scheduled, but may choose to do a walk-in. I’ll ask her to pay with Apple Pay; oddly enough, we don’t have any contactless airline cards yet.
Yep. Make sure you have the alphanumeric code and prefill the info online. A friend called me the night before to tell me since he had to use one of the computers at the office to fill the application. If she gets the opportunity, let us know with Apple Pay (debit).

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I am sure they don't accept them because the processing fees are too high...
In that case, one would think that this would apply to online and kiosk transactions too, but those both accept credit cards.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:31 am

Hmm I finally made it to Five Below and they still use Point but they no longer seem to support EMV contactless unless it supports it after a few months of opening which it just has not too long ago
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
In that case, one would think that this would apply to online and kiosk transactions too, but those both accept credit cards.
I thought in the past it was impossible to route debit over anything other than Visa/MC for card not present transactions, hence why they had to accept everything online.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I thought in the past it was impossible to route debit over anything other than Visa/MC for card not present transactions, hence why they had to accept everything online.
Including Discover and American Express?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Including Discover and American Express?
If the payment processor they're using for online payments charges close to the same for all of them, why not?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:06 pm

Question - does the visa mandate about contactless mean that places that only take MSD contactless will stop supporting contactless on April 13, or are they all equipped to support EMV contactless but do MSD for some reason?
I really do not know much about the technical side of these things so I was curious and wondering.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Barciur
Question - does the visa mandate about contactless mean that places that only take MSD contactless will stop supporting contactless on April 13, or are they all equipped to support EMV contactless but do MSD for some reason?
I really do not know much about the technical side of these things so I was curious and wondering.
April Rule is if they support contactless they must have enabled qVSDC (Visa’s name for EMV contactless). However the long standing rules for a few years has been if they support contact EMV and contactless then they are supposed to be qVSDC enabled. Unfortunately not reality at many places.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got an Arrival+ and have been on hold (7 minutes and counting) waiting for someone to activate my card for Google Pay. I wish they offered text/app verification like the vast majority of my other cards. Or just contactless on the card itself, even.

The good news is that the CVM list appears to be the same as posted on the EMV database. PIN Try Count is 0 since I haven't used it at a non-QC merchant yet. I have an experiment I want to run that I'll talk about in the other thread before that happens.

EDIT: I got asked security questions (from public records/credit file) by two separate CS representatives once they finally picked up. Good thing I started the process to add my card to Samsung Pay as well while I was still on hold, since they were able to activate both at the same time; I really didn't want to deal with that a second time so soon.

Originally Posted by D582
April Rule is if they support contactless they must have enabled qVSDC (Visa’s name for EMV contactless). However the long standing rules for a few years has been if they support contact EMV and contactless then they are supposed to be qVSDC enabled. Unfortunately not reality at many places.
That said, it's possible that this requirement is slowing down EMV rollouts at the remaining holdouts (or causing contactless to not be enabled initially), even if there's not much impact to the ones who already have EMV and contactless.

Last edited by tmiw; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:39 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:19 pm

Angry Another contactless failure

This time it was at Five Guys. I tried tapping my Capital One Mastercard. The terminal said "Transaction declined". I inserted it and it worked. There was no prompt for a tip, so that's not the problem. There is no EMV information on the receipt. I suspect this is the same as Bob Evans where Mastercard fails, but Visa succeeds. Google Pay with Mastercard will probably work also.

People are not going to use contactless when these bugs happen so often. I really wish the terminal manufacturers would get their act together on this. It's simply not acceptable.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
This time it was at Five Guys. I tried tapping my Capital One Mastercard. The terminal said "Transaction declined". I inserted it and it worked. There was no prompt for a tip, so that's not the problem. There is no EMV information on the receipt. I suspect this is the same as Bob Evans where Mastercard fails, but Visa succeeds. Google Pay with Mastercard will probably work also.

People are not going to use contactless when these bugs happen so often. I really wish the terminal manufacturers would get their act together on this. It's simply not acceptable.
FWIW, it's worked at Five Guys with Visa (at least with Apple/Google Pay) before, but it's been a while since I last went.

Also, lack of EMV information on the receipt unfortunately is no guarantee that MSD contactless was used. Even lack of EMV information on the receipt isn't a guarantee that the card wasn't inserted, since we apparently aren't doing close enough checks to ensure that the entire EMV spec's met and all. That's one of many problems with the entire EMV migration which I could make a whole post or few about.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
That's one of many problems with the entire EMV migration which I could make a whole post or few about.
I hear you. It seems that the involved parties did the absolute bare minimum to migrate to EMV. The things I hate the most about the way we did it in this country are (in no particular order) Quick Chip, chip and signature for almost all card issuers, lack of PIN support even on terminals with keypads, hit or miss contactless functionality on terminals which have it activated, and allowing PIN bypass on cards with PIN priority (SDFCU does this at least domestically, but First Tech does not).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear you. It seems that the involved parties did the absolute bare minimum to migrate to EMV. The things I hate the most about the way we did it in this country are (in no particular order) Quick Chip, chip and signature for almost all card issuers, lack of PIN support even on terminals with keypads, hit or miss contactless functionality on terminals which have it activated, and allowing PIN bypass on cards with PIN priority (SDFCU does this at least domestically, but First Tech does not).
I can forgive almost all of it if we had customer facing equipment at every single merchant. Of course, many did what's expected when there's no specific mandate, which was do the absolute minimum (e.g. no pay at the table).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles
And let’s not forget that places with Contactless can randomly stop working due to some software update like Safeway.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Nothing to do with the terminal manufacturers. The hardware is fine.

Its bad software by merchants or their processors.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA
I agree too, I particularly dislike Quick Chip as a "solely in America" issue. We always seem to find a way to deviate from what everyone else is doing, and screwing it up in the process. And I find it strange that PIN can even be disabled in the first place.

Chip & Sig is "OK," as many people might have been opposed to the chip migration out the gate. Got to ease people into it. The PIN could come later, (albeit unlikely as people whine far too much.) That being said we're not the only chip & sig country.

As I've said before, for something that is supposed to be "standard," it doesn't really seem to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.