Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Mrs. Majuki and I were at the California DMV on Friday, and I noticed their readers had contactless. I didn't try paying with my phone, but does anyone know if the readers will work? The EMV transaction processed as US debit on a Chase Visa debit card.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Man what a mess, two different systems, one EMV compliant one and one not, and those goofy "Square Pucks" to boot. At least they're mounted to something, so I guess it will seem 'elegant' enough to upper management, for as long as the double-sided tape lasts.
I mean, if the manned registers are predominantly/only for cash users, it might work. I doubt that's the case, however. I'm also not sure if stuff like that should get added to the map since it's possible to swipe still, but at the same time, EMV is still supported.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
The Arco Contactless also works very well and is quick and the pump interface is very responsive even with the zip code prompt being there... if you can find one of the rare ones that takes credit at the pump (or a debranded station).
I feel like Arco's is still slower than the Circle K one, regardless of whether it supports credit or not. It also seems less reliable overall, as I've had the pump simply not respond despite the reader reading the card/phone.

Not much motivation for a coffee place to run EMV since there is no fraud liability below $25
Actually, that's not the case anymore. Plus, if that were still the case, I'm not sure many of the small one or two location coffee shops would have bothered with Square chip+contactless pucks or their newer POSes.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Mrs. Majuki and I were at the California DMV on Friday, and I noticed their readers had contactless. I didn't try paying with my phone, but does anyone know if the readers will work? The EMV transaction processed as US debit on a Chase Visa debit card.
My license expires later this year so I should be able to find out, assuming no one else does beforehand of course.

BTW I also heard that one of the priorities of the current governor is to have the DMV start accepting credit cards as well as debit cards. Maybe this is part of that?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW I also heard that one of the priorities of the current governor is to have the DMV start accepting credit cards as well as debit cards. Maybe this is part of that?
I never understood not accepting credit cards in the offices considering they already accept them for online transactions and for the kiosks. I would have tried Google Pay with my debit card had I known beforehand, but that wasn't the highest priority item at the time.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Skymiles
I mean, if the manned registers are predominantly/only for cash users, it might work. I doubt that's the case, however. I'm also not sure if stuff like that should get added to the map since it's possible to swipe still, but at the same time, EMV is still supported.

I feel like Arco's is still slower than the Circle K one, regardless of whether it supports credit or not. It also seems less reliable overall, as I've had the pump simply not respond despite the reader reading the card/phone.

Actually, that's not the case anymore. Plus, if that were still the case, I'm not sure many of the small one or two location coffee shops would have bothered with Square chip+contactless pucks or their newer POSes.

My license expires later this year so I should be able to find out, assuming no one else does beforehand of course.

I love California but wow they must be behind. Our DMV here in Arizona has taken credit cards for years and now has MX915s with everything enabled (see my court post earlier too). But that’s if you even need to go in. You can use a website or mobile website (servicearizona.com) to renew your license, print your own temporary tags, register to vote, register your car and even transfer a title now without having to go in anywhere. The new mobile website (MVDNow) even has Apple/Google Pay.

i also doubt the manned registers are only for cash. There’s going to be some elderly person who will adamantly refuse to use the self service. Or some millennial who pretends to care about “losing jobs”, or even someone like my best friend who thinks it’s simply easier to order when you have too many customizations.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:19 am

I never understood not accepting credit cards in the offices considering they already accept them for online transactions and for the kiosks. I would have tried Google Pay with my debit card had I known beforehand, but that wasn't the highest priority item at the time.
PA was check or money order only at DMV up until now (they mainly deal with licenses - you go to third party agents for vehicle work). Supposedly they are upgrading the DMV locations to take credit/debit by this summer. Some locations have it now, and I did hear rumblings they charge a convenience fee (which other states do not, and PA does not for online transactions).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
i also doubt the manned registers are only for cash. There’s going to be some elderly person who will adamantly refuse to use the self service. Or some millennial who pretends to care about “losing jobs”, or even someone like my best friend who thinks it’s simply easier to order when you have too many customizations.
Actually, I feel like it is faster to have the cashier put in the order--even for simple orders. This assumes that there's little to no wait for one, however.

Plus, there's also the "I'm doing their work and not getting paid through discounts, etc." line of thinking. That's probably a topic for another thread though.
HotelHacker likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I would have thought that is for PPV movies but I really have no insight to this. I was wondering what they'd do with PPV in the future since the older systems, like United and Delta, had built-in magstripe readers. Recently though, airlines have gone back to included entertainment.

Your observation is probably closer to reality. A while back I was watching a flight review of Qatar Airways first class and the guy in the vid pointed out a Contactless payment pad in the console with the rest of the IFE controls. That rose another question though; typically anything you can get onboard is already included in First Class fare, but maybe they're planning (or already do) charge for certain premium liquors or something, or maybe there is inflight electronic duty-free shopping? No idea as I've never flown them.

Of course, someday far from now we may see the return of PPV using Contactless cards, but it would have to be a distant future because 1. Every plane needs to be refitted and 2. Not everyone has Contactless payment capability, at least here in the USA.
Duty free might be one purchase that happens in intl FC cabins here and there. Though often these sales occur via flight attendant who would have a handheld device, I could see moving the catalog into IFE and allowing orders right from there.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
You still go to the DMV to renew your license?

I can do it online... Even in technologically behind New York.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You still go to the DMV to renew your license?
For Real ID, yes (at least for the first issuance). And you're required to every so often regardless so they can retest your vision.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
PA was check or money order only at DMV up until now (they mainly deal with licenses - you go to third party agents for vehicle work). Supposedly they are upgrading the DMV locations to take credit/debit by this summer. Some locations have it now, and I did hear rumblings they charge a convenience fee (which other states do not, and PA does not for online transactions).
I lived in PA 2011 - 2014, so I'm aware of the process there. Most reputable messenger services, such as AAA, accept credit cards. As a side note, Pennsylvania was the 4th state where I've had to title a car, and the first one where the DMV equivalent wasn't a one stop shop.

For Real ID, yes (at least for the first issuance). And you're required to every so often regardless so they can retest your vision.
That was our reason for going in even though we could renew online for non-Real ID licenses. I renew our vehicle registration online via credit card, and I tried the DMV kiosk once for Mrs. Majuki's car.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
We can send in Rx's or doctor's notes.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Mrs. vanillabean started her Real ID application process today by filling out a form online to get a head start on her visit at DMV. She already had an appointment scheduled, but may choose to do a walk-in. I’ll ask her to pay with Apple Pay; oddly enough, we don’t have any contactless airline cards yet.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I am sure they don't accept them because the processing fees are too high...

Nevada DMV quit accepting American Express about 5 years ago. But they still accept all other credit and debit cards. And other state groups such as the university system still accepts American Express. They have the same pinpads as those Habit pinpads photographed. They've had those same pinpads for like 5+ years. Super old equipment.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Went to a Dominos Pizza today for the first time in probably 20 years, and paid inside the location. Pinpad came up with a promising "swipe, tap, or insert" prompt. Tried to tap the Chase Visa and it came up with a "card data error." Tried again- error again. Gave up and inserted card and it worked okay. No signature required and was told the receipt was on the box (didn't have any card information on it).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went to a Dominos Pizza today for the first time in probably 20 years, and paid inside the location. Pinpad came up with a promising "swipe, tap, or insert" prompt. Tried to tap the Chase Visa and it came up with a "card data error." Tried again- error again. Gave up and inserted card and it worked okay. No signature required and was told the receipt was on the box (didn't have any card information on it).
I'm pretty sure I remember contactless working there before (though that might have been with Apple/Google Pay and not the physical card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.