Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tmiw
Another Shake Shack is opening on Monday. It might be worth a check to see if they do Square equipment from the start.

Regardless, I think it's coming to all of them eventually. It might just be a while for some.
Is it close by to the one I mentioned? Maybe that is the one showing up in the list? They're just using those "Square" things?
Now that I know I probably won't bother with a follow-up visit. Five Guys is just better overall.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Is it close by to the one I mentioned? Maybe that is the one showing up in the list? They're just using those "Square" things?
Now that I know I probably won't bother with a follow-up visit. Five Guys is just better overall.
More than the several mile radius that the Google Pay app uses. As for Square: https://squareup.com/us/en/developer...ake-shack-fuzz

Anyway, Shake Shack is decent. I feel like they could give more food for the price they charge though.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Circle K by my house finally replaced their pumps:

I didn't have my car with me so I couldn't confirm if contactless worked. (EMV likely doesn't work outside still since the terminal inside still asked for ZIP code and didn't look any different otherwise.)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I know of one JITB in the SD area that has EMV/contactless, actually. I have no idea what's controlling the rollout order.
Well, any JITB in SD area would be near to corporate, so it would be the testing area just like when they did mobile app beta.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Asked for a replacement Chase Marriott Plat Premier Visa.
Received the new card design (Bonvoy Boundless) with contactless enabled, same number. Card was plastic, not metal.

Called PenFed to reissue a replacement Platinum Cash Rewards Visa as they replaced my card in December just before announcing contactless availability in Jan 2019. Wasn't an issue. Waiting for receipt of card.

Still waiting on Citibank to make any sort announcement on availability of contactless for their mastercard products... same for Barclays Bank Delaware.

Still haven't encountered a ton of NFC enabled gas pumps yet. Costco near me covered up the NFC stickers at gas pumps (finally) with diagrams illustrating card insertion into the slot because NFC doesn't work yet. Mobil near me has varying acceptance of the old physical speedpass RFID (they're discontinuing acceptance of that by July) so they might finally enable contactless card payment at the pumps.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Well, any JITB in SD area would be near to corporate, so it would be the testing area just like when they did mobile app beta.
I've seen pinpads at JITB in Kansas City which are franchised locations this was in November way before they announced support for ctls.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would think so, but no.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gooselee
Yeah, I know the rep was half making stuff up. By the end of the call she did order a replacement card, and the email confirmation I got had "Damaged" as the reason. I'll report back next week on what shows up in the mail, but I fully expect it to be contactless.
To follow-up, my replacement card arrived a couple days ago (ordered as replacement because "damaged"). Despite what the phone reps said - it arrived as a contactless plastic card and worked immediately on the Clover machine at a fast food restaurant.

Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
Thanks guys! I actually SM'd them and here is the response I received:
I will be happy to review your inquiry about the plastic card for your account ending in xxxx.
Xxxx, the option to switch your metal card to a plastic card is not available. Since, your card is damaged we have completed you replacement card request. It should arrive at the mailing address for your account in three to five business days.
Try calling and asking for a plastic one. That was what I had to do originally - I basically told them that some merchants I shop at overseas still use the old machines that require the raised numbers, and since my CSR didn't have those, I was using my Amex or PenFed cards instead. The rep was still very confused but ended up opening some sort of escalation ticket that resulted in a plastic card arriving in my mailbox a couple weeks later.

If you can get Chase to reissue you a plastic CSRs, it should come contactless as it seems that any new/replacement CSRs being issued now are coming with contactless whether it is requested or not.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:38 pm

I figured this same thing but I've been to a location closest to their headquarters that still doesn't have it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Word through the grapevine is that Safeway will push out a contactless fix on April 2. No word on whether it will be a staggered rollout or whether they’ll do one division at a time.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contactless at the pump at my local Circle K works fine. The pump's UI is actually very responsive, too, unlike most that I see around here--even the newer ones. The receipt shows "Card Num: (R)" followed by the card number, which is also different from how contactless is usually represented at gas stations.

On another note, it's always interesting seeing how cashiers respond to me tapping a physical card instead of a phone. For instance, at a newsstand inside SAN a week ago, the cashier kept looking over the PIN pad after I tapped to make sure the transaction worked (it did). And today at Coffee Bean, the cashier was waiting for me to swipe after I tapped despite the terminal saying "waiting for cashier"; I had to tell him to push the needed button on his end because I ran my card already.

(BTW, are they actually going to do EMV at some point? They're the last major coffee chain that I know of that's yet to do it; Starbucks has done it for a while and so has Peet's, not to mention that most smaller chains/individual coffee shops use Square or some other POS that supports it.)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Looks like JetBlue will be offering order and pay at seat for premium food/alcohol in their new Phase 2 cabin refresh. There's a very familiar symbol on the bottom right

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Looks like that new Shake Shack does have the Square self-order kiosks. Nothing at the manned stations, though, unless they intend for those to be cash only.

Originally Posted by diburning
Looks like JetBlue will be offering order and pay at seat for premium food/alcohol in their new Phase 2 cabin refresh. There's a very familiar symbol on the bottom right
Is this something new? Their previous photos/info here don't seem to mention pay at the seat (except in one or two photos that seem to imply that swipe is the only accepted payment method).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:34 pm

Looks like that new Shake Shack does have the Square self-order kiosks. Nothing at the manned stations, though, unless they intend for those to be cash only.
Man what a mess, two different systems, one EMV compliant one and one not, and those goofy "Square Pucks" to boot. At least they're mounted to something, so I guess it will seem 'elegant' enough to upper management, for as long as the double-sided tape lasts.

Originally Posted by diburning
I would have thought that is for PPV movies but I really have no insight to this. I was wondering what they'd do with PPV in the future since the older systems, like United and Delta, had built-in magstripe readers. Recently though, airlines have gone back to included entertainment.

Your observation is probably closer to reality. A while back I was watching a flight review of Qatar Airways first class and the guy in the vid pointed out a Contactless payment pad in the console with the rest of the IFE controls. That rose another question though; typically anything you can get onboard is already included in First Class fare, but maybe they're planning (or already do) charge for certain premium liquors or something, or maybe there is inflight electronic duty-free shopping? No idea as I've never flown them.

Of course, someday far from now we may see the return of PPV using Contactless cards, but it would have to be a distant future because 1. Every plane needs to be refitted and 2. Not everyone has Contactless payment capability, at least here in the USA.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Contactless at the pump at my local Circle K works fine. The pump's UI is actually very responsive, too, unlike most that I see around here--even the newer ones. The receipt shows "Card Num: (R)" followed by the card number, which is also different from how contactless is usually represented at gas stations.

On another note, it's always interesting seeing how cashiers respond to me tapping a physical card instead of a phone. For instance, at a newsstand inside SAN a week ago, the cashier kept looking over the PIN pad after I tapped to make sure the transaction worked (it did). And today at Coffee Bean, the cashier was waiting for me to swipe after I tapped despite the terminal saying "waiting for cashier"; I had to tell him to push the needed button on his end because I ran my card already.

(BTW, are they actually going to do EMV at some point? They're the last major coffee chain that I know of that's yet to do it; Starbucks has done it for a while and so has Peet's, not to mention that most smaller chains/individual coffee shops use Square or some other POS that supports it.)
Yes, that Circle K Contactless works just like the Maveirk Contactless did for the past few years before Maverik got off of the Radiant POS. Very fast, responsive, and easy. Maverik had no zip code prompt either so it was that much easier.

The Arco Contactless also works very well and is quick and the pump interface is very responsive even with the zip code prompt being there... if you can find one of the rare ones that takes credit at the pump (or a debranded station).

Not much motivation for a coffee place to run EMV since there is no fraud liability below $25... Starbucks runs a number of higher transactions between card reloads and certain merchandise purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.