Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Sinince
Tapping my contactless AMEX still failed at Safeway today. Non-Visa contactless has been broken for quite some time now.
American Express EMV Contactless worked great at Safeway in Sparks, NV today...

Has been working again since last week.

I wonder what the deal is.

Contactless is still broken at some Save Mart cash registers. I don't understand what is happening there. Literally at one location I go to, it works on one self checkout but not the other three or at the attendant station. NCR POS and MSD Contactless, heavily promoted as accepting Contactless at this particular merchant, so I am really surprised they are having problems.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
I currently have a metal non-contactless Sapphire Preferred. Thinking of getting a contactless replacement but not sure if I want it metal one or I should try to get a plastic one. If I want plastic do I just need to call in and ask for plastic? If it’s a nice flat card I may do it to save weight etc. Thanks!
As mentioned before by others, there are plastic contactless cards being shipped. However, I don't know if you can still convert to plastic from metal. Might be worth a call to ask?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I went to Supercuts today (Cary NC) and was able to use Apple Pay (Citi AA MC). I come here once a month, I don't believe contactless was enabled last month. The pin pad was on the counter, customer-facing.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by storewanderer
American Express EMV Contactless worked great at Safeway in Sparks, NV today...

Has been working again since last week.

I wonder what the deal is.

Contactless is still broken at some Save Mart cash registers. I don't understand what is happening there. Literally at one location I go to, it works on one self checkout but not the other three or at the attendant station. NCR POS and MSD Contactless, heavily promoted as accepting Contactless at this particular merchant, so I am really surprised they are having problems.
Amex in Apple Pay didn’t work at Safeway in Cupertino.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
I currently have a metal non-contactless Sapphire Preferred. Thinking of getting a contactless replacement but not sure if I want it metal one or I should try to get a plastic one. If I want plastic do I just need to call in and ask for plastic? If it’s a nice flat card I may do it to save weight etc. Thanks!
Originally Posted by tmiw
As mentioned before by others, there are plastic contactless cards being shipped. However, I don't know if you can still convert to plastic from metal. Might be worth a call to ask?
You should still be able to call in or send a message and request your card be replaced with a plastic one because the metal one doesn't fit in your wallet/got stuck in a gas pump/whatever. Note that this is set as an account-level flag--any replacements or AU cards you order subsequently will be plastic.

If you go this route, don't bother mentioning anything about contactless to the phone rep--both plastic and metal cards are contactless by default.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:40 am

Eatery in my office building lobby has FD terminals with everything enabled. I've used Apple Pay there with no issue for quite some time, and the one receipt I received from the terminal last April confirmed EMV contactless. Used my contactless CSR right after I received it in February, and not only did it work, but the cashiers were wowed by it. Fast forward a few weeks, and I tried to use the card again today, only to receive a "chip read error" requesting insertion after the terminal read my tap. We tried Apple Pay and it worked fine. Quite frustrating to have these bugs with contactless - it definitely impedes wider usage of the technology.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
....to receive a "chip read error"....
Did you try both sides of the card?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Did you try both sides of the card?
In my experience the CSR isn't read at all unless the back is facing the terminal.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
In my experience the CSR isn't read at all unless the back is facing the terminal.
That's been my experience with American Express metallic cards, but I think I have seen a report from someone asserting that both sides work. Curious if any type of interaction effect with different types of contactless readers.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
That's been my experience with American Express metallic cards, but I think I have seen a report from someone asserting that both sides work. Curious if any type of interaction effect with different types of contactless readers.
I originally thought it did but I tested again at various merchants and I saw the same behavior that you see with the Platinum.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turns out that even though Verifone Point might claim that you can tap at any time, that's not actually true if the merchant enabled tipping. Ended up having to tap again after making the needed tip selection. (POS hardware was from POSBank, if that helps.)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA
Here's an interesting item I found, after learning about the "Gemini PDA" a few days ago.

Paymo Smart Wallet

Looks like a dedicated Google wallet device. Not sure how popular something like that would be although reading about it a few days ago, it looks like some were interested in a feature where you could lend it to others to make payments on your behalf within specified limits.

(Please note it is one of those deposit schemes that are popular these days and not an actual thing, yet.)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
You should still be able to call in or send a message and request your card be replaced with a plastic one because the metal one doesn't fit in your wallet/got stuck in a gas pump/whatever. Note that this is set as an account-level flag--any replacements or AU cards you order subsequently will be plastic.

If you go this route, don't bother mentioning anything about contactless to the phone rep--both plastic and metal cards are contactless by default.
Thanks guys! I actually SM'd them and here is the response I received:
I will be happy to review your inquiry about the plastic card for your account ending in xxxx.
Xxxx, the option to switch your metal card to a plastic card is not available. Since, your card is damaged we have completed you replacement card request. It should arrive at the mailing address for your account in three to five business days.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Eatery in my office building lobby has FD terminals with everything enabled. I've used Apple Pay there with no issue for quite some time, and the one receipt I received from the terminal last April confirmed EMV contactless. Used my contactless CSR right after I received it in February, and not only did it work, but the cashiers were wowed by it. Fast forward a few weeks, and I tried to use the card again today, only to receive a "chip read error" requesting insertion after the terminal read my tap. We tried Apple Pay and it worked fine. Quite frustrating to have these bugs with contactless - it definitely impedes wider usage of the technology.
For it to work right, it is important that the cashier enters in the amount on their side before you tap. Sale-Credit-*enter amount*- then tap.

It has been a few years and I would have expected First Data to fix these terminals by now. Also I don't think they work with the Contactless American Express.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles
OCTA & San Diego MTS* have Apple Pay now inside of their mobile pass apps. it seems like this seems to be the way moving forward to get Apple Pay on transit without having to revamp their entire fare card system.

*SDMTS had it for a while, but OCTA is the second system I know of that recently upgraded to the new app design that supports Apple Pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.