Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Annes Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
CSR report - I just added Mrs. Lee as an additional user. Her card arrived with contactless enabled - symbol on the back of the card, note on the letter it was stuck to saying how to use it, etc. A couple days after receipt she even used it successfully at a little shop near us that uses Square of Clover or something (one of the white box/iPad setups).

Cool, now I want one, too. Call up Chase and ask - the rep tells me that my account isn't set up for contactless, it's a gradual rollout, and I should call back in a week. I mention that my wife's card arrived with the logos and all, and she repeats they can't issue me a contactless card because my account isn't set up. I'm assuming this is BS since with Chase, additional cards don't even get separate card numbers, expiration dates, or CSVs - it's literally the same card with a different name. I ask if there's a way for her to activate my account since without tap & pay, I just use Amex everywhere esp. when abroad. She claims there's no way for her to update my account that way, but she does tell me she can order a replacement card, but it'll just be a duplicate since she can't force contactless. I play dumb and say let's try anyway...I guess we'll find out in three to five days who's right, but jeez...does it really have to be this difficult?

Didn't help that the rep was really abrupt and almost verging on rude during the conversation. I had just gotten off the phone with Amex as well (completely separate issue) and it was a night and day difference in personalities.

Also, since I was mentioning it earlier - Mrs. Lee's card came as a plastic CSR, not metal. So it seems that Chase will issue additional cards with whatever material the primary card is in, also.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by gooselee
CSR report - I just added Mrs. Lee as an additional user. Her card arrived with contactless enabled - symbol on the back of the card, note on the letter it was stuck to saying how to use it, etc. A couple days after receipt she even used it successfully at a little shop near us that uses Square of Clover or something (one of the white box/iPad setups).

Cool, now I want one, too. Call up Chase and ask - the rep tells me that my account isn't set up for contactless, it's a gradual rollout, and I should call back in a week. I mention that my wife's card arrived with the logos and all, and she repeats they can't issue me a contactless card because my account isn't set up. I'm assuming this is BS since with Chase, additional cards don't even get separate card numbers, expiration dates, or CSVs - it's literally the same card with a different name. I ask if there's a way for her to activate my account since without tap & pay, I just use Amex everywhere esp. when abroad. She claims there's no way for her to update my account that way, but she does tell me she can order a replacement card, but it'll just be a duplicate since she can't force contactless. I play dumb and say let's try anyway...I guess we'll find out in three to five days who's right, but jeez...does it really have to be this difficult?

Didn't help that the rep was really abrupt and almost verging on rude during the conversation. I had just gotten off the phone with Amex as well (completely separate issue) and it was a night and day difference in personalities.

Also, since I was mentioning it earlier - Mrs. Lee's card came as a plastic CSR, not metal. So it seems that Chase will issue additional cards with whatever material the primary card is in, also.
You were given complete misinformation. You should call back. If you have any trouble next time, tell them your friend has a CSR and they called a few weeks ago and reordered a card as Contactless and it showed up and you want one too. Sometimes you just have to dial things down to get what you want. After that if they still refuse, just escalate to a supervisor.

The first time I called Chase (which was last year) trying to get updated cards, they gave me a similar song and dance. They told me I would have to wait, it was a gradual roll out, and as I pressed the guy at one point he even told me I had to "wait my turn." Anyway I called back a couple weeks later (after people here started posting they had success calling) and had no problem getting cards reissued.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by storewanderer
You were given complete misinformation. You should call back. If you have any trouble next time, tell them your friend has a CSR and they called a few weeks ago and reordered a card as Contactless and it showed up and you want one too. Sometimes you just have to dial things down to get what you want. After that if they still refuse, just escalate to a supervisor.

The first time I called Chase (which was last year) trying to get updated cards, they gave me a similar song and dance. They told me I would have to wait, it was a gradual roll out, and as I pressed the guy at one point he even told me I had to "wait my turn." Anyway I called back a couple weeks later (after people here started posting they had success calling) and had no problem getting cards reissued.
Personally I'd just request a new card online and choose "damaged" as the reason. It worked for me when I did it for the CSR.

Although if you want overnight delivery, you'll still have to call.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Going to check my local Habit Burger now. Awesome. Never seen a Dynapro used anywhere other than Marriott. So Im excited to see it.
BTW, it may still be rolling out. A second Habit location here didn't look to have the Dynapros as of tonight (but I also didn't attempt to order anything, so they very well could have had them hidden from customers).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Personally I'd just request a new card online and choose "damaged" as the reason. It worked for me when I did it for the CSR.

Yep. In fact, that's what the knowledgeable CSRs do when making these requests. ^
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by storewanderer

Originally Posted by Majuki
Yep. In fact, that's what the knowledgeable CSRs do when making these requests. ^
Yeah, I know the rep was half making stuff up. By the end of the call she did order a replacement card, and the email confirmation I got had "Damaged" as the reason. I'll report back next week on what shows up in the mail, but I fully expect it to be contactless.

I sort of did open the ask the way storewanderer suggests, except I was telling her that my wife, who I'd recently added as an AU on my account, just received her CSR card with the exact same account number, expiration date, and CSV with contactless enabled. Yet the rep continued to insist that *my* account wasn't eligible. It was borderline amusing - I asked her to explain the difference in "account" since both cards share the same # and feed to the same bill, and she just defaulted back to "it's not activated yet".

Fun times.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by gooselee
Yeah, I know the rep was half making stuff up. By the end of the call she did order a replacement card, and the email confirmation I got had "Damaged" as the reason. I'll report back next week on what shows up in the mail, but I fully expect it to be contactless.
The problem is people end up getting inconsistent information, and it's HUCA. When the CF and CFU first received contactless in November, tmiw had called to request a replacement without issue. I called later that day, and the rep only relented after speaking with a colleague that indeed contactless cards became available within a few days. I remember the rep when ordering the replacement CSR was more resistant to my request for a contactless enabled card, saying similar things to what you heard such as "wait your turn" and "there is no way to expedite a replacement card". My advice to anyone on here is if you don't need overnight shipping on the card to request a replacement online with damaged as the reason. The replacement card will be contactless.

The only one I'm waiting for with Chase is the conversion from the Marriott Premier Plus to the Bonvoy Boundless card. I don't ever use this card except for a few Marriott stays, so I'm not in a rush to update it. The SPG AmEx has already changed its branding on Google Pay to the Marriott Bonvoy design, but the Chase Marriott card is still showing the previous branding. Now 11 of my 12 cards are in Google Pay - only the ICBC UnionPay card isn't - and 8 of my 12 cards have contactless on the card itself. This will be 9 once I receive the replacement Chase Marriott card. Things are moving in a positive direction. ^
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've confirmed before that SSP America uses EMV contactless, right? I didn't see any EMV info on the half of the "transaction record" receipt that I was able to see here at SAN. (It did say "no signature required" and "proximity" due to tapping my physical CSR.)

Speaking of SAN, other than AS moving terminals, there's nothing different EMV or contactless-wise from last time I flew out of T1. The Spirit/Frontier kiosks do look to be owned by SAN for common use and have Verifone readers, but I don't know if EMV's enabled on those.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:18 am

Went back to my Local giant, Discover contactless still fails, while Mastercard works. I did not check mastercard the last time I was there, so I don't know if it changed or not, but Discover still fails even though it worked previously.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Barciur
Went back to my Local giant, Discover contactless still fails, while Mastercard works. I did not check mastercard the last time I was there, so I don't know if it changed or not, but Discover still fails even though it worked previously.
Mid-Atlantic or PA Giant? My Discover in Apple Pay worked fine at one in Baltimore today.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My physical Chase Sapphire Reserve card worked today when tapped at another merchant that uses PAX PIN pads. I wonder why it didn't work at the first one (though maybe the lack of a tip prompt at the latter helped).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Mid-Atlantic or PA Giant? My Discover in Apple Pay worked fine at one in Baltimore today.
Giant Food Stores in Pennsylvania. It confuses me very much It used to work until February 15 and it broke since the terminals were upgraded. Mastercard and Visa work fine.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone ever had a successful contactless transaction with the NCR POSes that have the huge contactless logo on the right hand side? It seems that it's never actually enabled even though it actually says tap on the display.

BTW having to insert cards upside down and magstripe facing the customer has to be the worst EMV related UX I've ever seen.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
My physical Chase Sapphire Reserve card worked today when tapped at another merchant that uses PAX PIN pads. I wonder why it didn't work at the first one (though maybe the lack of a tip prompt at the latter helped).
I currently have a metal non-contactless Sapphire Preferred. Thinking of getting a contactless replacement but not sure if I want it metal one or I should try to get a plastic one. If I want plastic do I just need to call in and ask for plastic? If its a nice flat card I may do it to save weight etc. Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:26 pm

Tapping my contactless AMEX still failed at Safeway today. Non-Visa contactless has been broken for quite some time now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.