Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
So Kroger came out with their own pay app. I guess they decided not to support Chase Pay after all? Not that I'm surprised or anything.

EDIT: link to article
Kroger doing what CVS already did and discontinued. Kroger doing what Wal Mart does that nobody wants to use unless forced (like people who want to still participate in Receipt Catcher). And the biggest kicker: Kroger's program will have them paying higher "card not present" fees to process cards.

It is just incredible how ignorant and arrogant some companies are to do this kind of thing rather than supporting efficient and universally accepted NFC payments.So head strong they are willing to pay higher processing fees...

Also interesting how slow the roll out is. CVS and Target were able to get NFC rolled out to all stores in a few weeks. Wal Mart did some testing of Wal Mart Pay then rolled it out nationwide all at once. Kroger can't even get this Kroger Pay thing rolled out to all stores in the next ten months.

What a joke.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Kroger doing what CVS already did and discontinued. Kroger doing what Wal Mart does that nobody wants to use unless forced (like people who want to still participate in Receipt Catcher). And the biggest kicker: Kroger's program will have them paying higher "card not present" fees to process cards.

It is just incredible how ignorant and arrogant some companies are to do this kind of thing rather than supporting efficient and universally accepted NFC payments.So head strong they are willing to pay higher processing fees...

Also interesting how slow the roll out is. CVS and Target were able to get NFC rolled out to all stores in a few weeks. Wal Mart did some testing of Wal Mart Pay then rolled it out nationwide all at once. Kroger can't even get this Kroger Pay thing rolled out to all stores in the next ten months.

What a joke.
I think they're fine with paying CNP interchange at least in the short term to get people to start using it. They can always start providing incentives to use ACH or their own debit card instead once there's a critical mass of users (or quietly kill it if it doesn't work for them). I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart goes down that route too.

Speaking of Walmart Pay, apparently it's classified as an in-person transaction according to Chase if you use Chase Pay through it. This might be a special case, though; using a regular card with it might very well still be CNP.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: Skymiles
So Kroger came out with their own pay app. I guess they decided not to support Chase Pay after all? Not that I'm surprised or anything.

EDIT: link to article
.....and here lies the real reason they disabled Apple Pay. Let’s expect to see Apple Pay here soon, see: CVS, & Target who both failed at the whole app thing.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015

.....and here lies the real reason they disabled Apple Pay. Let’s expect to see Apple Pay here soon, see: CVS, & Target who both failed at the whole app thing.
Keep in mind that Kroger really hates the card networks, possibly more than Walmart. Even if their app fails that might not cause contactless to get enabled.

BTW the card networks really should have done a contactless mandate for the US. By 2023 every terminal in the rest of the world will have it enabled; it'll look stupid to be the only place where contactless can't be used everywhere.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Keep in mind that Kroger really hates the card networks, possibly more than Walmart.
I don't see an advantage for the card networks if contactless is enabled or not, so perhaps the merchant should just stop being childish.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I don't see an advantage for the card networks if contactless is enabled or not, so perhaps the merchant should just stop being childish.
Huh? In places with high contactless usage, it's actually displaced cash, thus increasing the usage of cards.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Huh? In places with high contactless usage, it's actually displaced cash, thus increasing the usage of cards.
That doesn't really seem to be an issue in the first place. Cards are used more than cash already.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't really seem to be an issue in the first place. Cards are used more than cash already.
Actually...

Other recent studies confirm the usage of cash is still strong. In The 2016 Diary of Consumer Payment Choice, a report by the Federal Reserve Bank of BostonTM shows consumers paid mostly with cash (31% of payments), followed by debit cards (27%), and credit cards (18%).
I also recall something about how the majority of purchases under $20 or so are still done in cash, but I don't remember where offhand.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:27 am

Actually...

I also recall something about how the majority of purchases under $20 or so are still done in cash, but I don't remember where offhand.
Right, and if you combine credit and debit cards together, you get almost half of payments with a card.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, and if you combine credit and debit cards together, you get almost half of payments with a card.
So I looked further and this shows that the majority of purchases under $10 are still done in cash. For $10-25, card use is only barely above the majority of transactions.

Anyway, my original point is that contactless can still make a significant dent in cash usage for small transactions (much like what happened in the UK). And since many merchants aren't huge fans of cards in general, I can see how there'd be an incentive for some not to enable it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Keep in mind that Kroger really hates the card networks, possibly more than Walmart. Even if their app fails that might not cause contactless to get enabled.

BTW the card networks really should have done a contactless mandate for the US. By 2023 every terminal in the rest of the world will have it enabled; it'll look stupid to be the only place where contactless can't be used everywhere.
Has the United States ever actually had a specific mandate? For some reason, there seems to be incredible leeriness of doing so.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Has the United States ever actually had a specific mandate? For some reason, there seems to be incredible leeriness of doing so.
Nope. I'm thinking it's more due to them thinking that there's no point since the vast majority of new terminals have the hardware.

Of course, they also misjudged how much merchants would rather bypass the networks altogether and the significant effort required for some to enable contactless in the first place.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:35 pm

Might be related to the EMV contactless rollout as described above. Hopefully, they didn't break everything except for Visa.
I tried tapping a Mastercard through Google Pay this morning and the pin pad said 'Not authorized'. When the self-checkout attendant stopped by, the machine stated that the card had an EMV chip and needed to be inserted. Visa EMV contactless still works great, but it does appear that this update broke everything else. As a slightly happy note, the pin pad now says 'Insert, Tap, or Slide'.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:43 pm

The Kroger Pay thing combined with their debit card means they've pulled off what MCX/CurrentC failed to do, creating a mobile payments solution that bypassed the credit/debit networks.

Though the debit card thing isn't new, in the early 90s Vons had VonsChek cards which pulled funds from your checking account over ACH. My parents used it all the time (back then they mostly used checks for routine purchases rather than credit cards).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ateng
I tried tapping a Mastercard through Google Pay this morning and the pin pad said 'Not authorized'. When the self-checkout attendant stopped by, the machine stated that the card had an EMV chip and needed to be inserted. Visa EMV contactless still works great, but it does appear that this update broke everything else. As a slightly happy note, the pin pad now says 'Insert, Tap, or Slide'.
I don't expect AmEx to behave much differently (though it might for mobile wallets that haven't been provisioned to support EMV contactless yet), but maybe I'll try both too.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
The Kroger Pay thing combined with their debit card means they've pulled off what MCX/CurrentC failed to do, creating a mobile payments solution that bypassed the credit/debit networks.

Though the debit card thing isn't new, in the early 90s Vons had VonsChek cards which pulled funds from your checking account over ACH. My parents used it all the time (back then they mostly used checks for routine purchases rather than credit cards).
Do we know who the issuing bank is? It's possible that it doesn't actually bypass Visa/MC at all if it's large enough to fall under Durbin's interchange caps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.