Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Safeway still can't take Amex contactless. It will work if in a mobile wallet such as Apple Pay, but tapping a contactless Amex will decline right away displaying "Unable to Process" on the pin pad and "Customer cancelled transaction at pin pad" on the register.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by diburning
Safeway still can't take Amex contactless. It will work if in a mobile wallet such as Apple Pay, but tapping a contactless Amex will decline right away displaying "Unable to Process" on the pin pad and "Customer cancelled transaction at pin pad" on the register.
Is this an EMV Contactless issue? Because Apple Pay AMEX is now EMV Contactless enabled so it will likely not work either then.

What an incompetent company.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:23 pm

I have no idea. The same cards that didn't work when tapped worked when inserted.

I use an Amex through Apply Pay myself when I make purchases, and it works fine, (but I haven't actually checked the receipt to see if it's running as EMV or MSD so I'd have to try it sometime and report back) so I have no idea what the issue is.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

I use an Amex through Apply Pay myself when I make purchases, and it works fine, (but I haven't actually checked the receipt to see if it's running as EMV or MSD so I'd have to try it sometime and report back) so I have no idea what the issue is.
If it was added to your device prior to 10 Jan 2019, it will be MSD only. If you added it on or after 10 Jan, EMV mode will be enabled.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
CDCVM is not currently supported on the Common Debit AID for Visa, which is why they don't mention that in that graphic. This is because although Visa itself supports it, the other networks may not.
Sure, but it seems like they could still provide it as an option with a disclaimer that they'll only be able to route over Visa for larger transactions. If merchants choose to do it anyway, it technically wouldn't violate Durbin as routing would still be a merchant decision.

Chase did the right thing here including support for MSD. There are still far too many terminals in the US that are not qVSDC enabled, and I'm sceptical they will even meet the 13 April deadline. The last thing Chase needs is for cardholders to think their card doesn't work properly and then never use contactless. Chase can always 'disable' MSD support by declining the transactions on its end.
I feel like it's mainly vending machines and larger retailers that aren't doing EMV contactless, and even then a fair number of the latter have enabled it recently. While I'm sure not 100% will meet the deadline, I'm not sure acceptance of cards only supporting EMV contactless will be that bad either--especially since many of the smaller merchants will likely still insert cards for customers at least initially.

What an incompetent company.
Eh, they can't be that incompetent if they managed to get EMV at gas pumps working. When I think incompetent, I think stuff like CVS not actually turning off the contactless interface on their terminals for much longer than they should have.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:49 am

CDCVM is not currently supported on the Common Debit AID for Visa, which is why they don't mention that in that graphic. This is because although Visa itself supports it, the other networks may not.
Well it seems to work at McD's as it uses that AID and says pin verified on the receipt. It seems to be routed through Visa still though.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:23 am

If it was added to your device prior to 10 Jan 2019, it will be MSD only. If you added it on or after 10 Jan, EMV mode will be enabled.
Hmm. Will it enable EMV if I remove it and then add it again?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
New CSR:

Old CSR:

Here is the insert, which is similar to the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited:

Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Called Chase to ask about getting a contactless CSR issued, since my expiration date for my CSR was coming up in October. Guy said they had just become available but that I would get a contactless one closer to my card's expiration date. I made it clear that I was hoping to have the contactless version for an upcoming trip at the end of the month, since I've never been able to successfully use my CSR at the train ticket terminals at Amsterdam Schiphol. I explicitly stated that I had had to rely on my Amex for this previously, but that I was hoping to try contactless with my CSR on these terminals. Anyways, shot down by the guy, who wouldn't order a replacement contactless card.

So I went online and ordered a replacement for a "damaged" card. For what it's worth, the back was coming off of my CSR, so it was damaged, in a sense. Got my replacement a few days later in the mail - indeed contactless, with the same insert as displayed in the post above mine. Tested it out at Dunkin Donuts this morning, worked perfectly.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Hmm. Will it enable EMV if I remove it and then add it again?
Yep, I had to do that on my old iPhone to get it to provision that way.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Is this a new development, because I have tapped my AmEx card there before successfully?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I’m excited. Finally got to use contactless at Target!
scibot likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Called Chase to ask about getting a contactless CSR issued, since my expiration date for my CSR was coming up in October. Guy said they had just become available but that I would get a contactless one closer to my card's expiration date.
This sounds like the call I had with Chase when ordering my replacement CSR. I was told that I would be receiving one when my card expired this fall, which would be the first periodic replacement card considering the card debuted in 2016. The person said that I would be receiving a replacement card this fall anyway, but I'm not too sure since this card has a new expiration month and year. It's strange because the Chase Freedom also received a new expiration date whereas the Chase Freedom Unlimited did not.

If you don't need expedited shipping, it's probably easiest to request a replacement online, citing damaged as a reason. Once available, I believe all new Chase cards being issued include contactless support, and it can avoid a call with an unhelpful representative.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Majuki
This sounds like the call I had with Chase when ordering my replacement CSR. I was told that I would be receiving one when my card expired this fall, which would be the first periodic replacement card considering the card debuted in 2016. The person said that I would be receiving a replacement card this fall anyway, but I'm not too sure since this card has a new expiration month and year. It's strange because the Chase Freedom also received a new expiration date whereas the Chase Freedom Unlimited did not.

If you don't need expedited shipping, it's probably easiest to request a replacement online, citing damaged as a reason. Once available, I believe all new Chase cards being issued include contactless support, and it can avoid a call with an unhelpful representative.
I was slightly irritated with my call. I just told you that I've had a problem with my current card, I have an upcoming trip (before my replacement card would be sent closer to my expiration month this year) where I have a specific use for the replacement card I'm requesting, and I indicate that in the absence of that replacement card, I'll have to give money to a competitor. And you say you can't order me a new card? Okay, thank you, I'll remember that in eight seconds when I'm completing the phone survey at the end of this call.

MASTERNC likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:17 pm

I tried my new CSR at Subway, and the terminal didn't register. I was concerned that perhaps I had a defective card, but it did work at Target down the street. This was not my usual go to Subway, so I'm thinking it was a problem with the payment terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.