Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by tmiw
Today I noticed that the dots showed up on the insert/swipe screen before tapping (they never used to before). Is that related to this update? No EMV info on the receipt though.
You must have been at a store with an older pin pad firmware version. After rebooting pin pads at stores for the past few days, I can tell you that the dots show up on the loyalty screen, but are always missing from the Insert/Tap/Swipe payment screen regardless of whether contactless is working on the pin pad.

Originally Posted by scibot
How do debit cards in Apple/Google Pay behave? Do they force debit pin or not?
If processed as EMV, pin is forced. If for some reason the mobile wallet does not process as EMV, the pin prompt will show up and allow a pin-pad-side bypass as if the card didn't have a chip, and then it will decline for invalid pin.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diburning
You must have been at a store with an older pin pad firmware version. After rebooting pin pads at stores for the past few days, I can tell you that the dots show up on the loyalty screen, but are always missing from the Insert/Tap/Swipe payment screen regardless of whether contactless is working on the pin pad.
Weirdly, I've only seen the behavior you've described until now. Then again, I don't think I've ever been to the location that I went to the other day before, either.

Originally Posted by diburning
If processed as EMV, pin is forced. If for some reason the mobile wallet does not process as EMV, the pin prompt will show up and allow a pin-pad-side bypass as if the card didn't have a chip, and then it will decline for invalid pin.
While Safeway does have the right to route debit card transactions however they want, I imagine that'll cause some complaints. Too bad CDCVM isn't really a thing for debit cards on anything other than Visa/MC.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by RedLight2015

How would you know? The MX915 has contactlsss built in
No reaction from my iPhone when I tried to tap on every possible side?! also why do play games with customers instead of clearly mark the reader?! I'm mean Walgreens can do it why not Ralphs?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's not that Kroger (Ralphs) can't do it, it is that they've chosen not to.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Marschel
No reaction from my iPhone when I tried to tap on every possible side?! also why do play games with customers instead of clearly mark the reader?! I'm mean Walgreens can do it why not Ralphs?
Ralph’s doesn’t work because it’s owned by Kroger. I only mentioned MX915 because you said there isn’t a Contactless pad. Mx915s don’t use a separate pad.
Marschel likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cjw2001
It's not that Kroger (Ralphs) can't do it, it is that they've chosen not to.
Maybe, but I'm not sure what to make of the random locations occasionally showing up on the MC map. AFAIK only NFC transactions trigger a merchant showing up on there, so it can't be people using Samsung Pay doing it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My local Target now has contactless support. Using my debit card in Google Pay at the Starbucks inside indicates that the global AID was used (not the common one, as I initially thought it would). As a result, no PIN required.

Additionally, the self-checkout payment options seem to be slightly different than before but I don't know if that's because I ended up on a cash-accepting station or if there was actually a change. See below:

(Pushing "card payment" still only says insert/swipe with no indication that tap is allowed other than the dots on the terminal.)

I also didn't see any signage promoting contactless, but that might come later.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Skymiles
My local Target now has contactless support. Using my debit card in Google Pay at the Starbucks inside indicates that the global AID was used (not the common one, as I initially thought it would). As a result, no PIN required.

Additionally, the self-checkout payment options seem to be slightly different than before but I don't know if that's because I ended up on a cash-accepting station or if there was actually a change. See below:

(Pushing "card payment" still only says insert/swipe with no indication that tap is allowed other than the dots on the terminal.)

It looks like they added the Target wallet option on the screen, so that’s what’s changed. This solves a lot of complaints where customers (ahem guests) would advance through the payment screen and it didn’t give them an option to scan the Target app. (Because before you had to scan it before you started the transaction)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:27 pm

This article claims that Wells Fargo will issue contactless cards in the next few months and BOA over the summer. I spoke to a BOA teller and she said a roughly similar timeline. https://www.digitaltransactions.net/...m-visa-direct/
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:48 pm

I went to a Target closest to me and still the same old software with no dots and no wallet option so that means I will be looking out for the wallet option in a week or two. Also the cartwheel apps stinks as you need to hook to Target wifi to use it while contactless does not need data to work. Which I remember people saying on here before it needs data to work and Targets often have very poor cell service inside. But you can also just use the cartwheel app for coupons then pay with Apple/Google Pay or a card which is alright but you still need wifi for that app to work.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ateng
This article claims that Wells Fargo will issue contactless cards in the next few months and BOA over the summer. I spoke to a BOA teller and she said a roughly similar timeline. https://www.digitaltransactions.net/...m-visa-direct/
I don’t think Wells Fargo ever completely stopped. I received a replacement Visa Signature card a few months ago and it still had contactless. Perhaps though this means they’ll expand contactless to newer cards like Cash Wise that don’t seem to have ever had it.

Originally Posted by scibot
Also the cartwheel apps stinks as you need to hook to Target wifi to use it while contactless does not need data to work. Which I remember people saying on here before it needs data to work and Targets often have very poor cell service inside. But you can also just use the cartwheel app for coupons then pay with Apple/Google Pay or a card which is alright but you still need wifi for that app to work.
I’ve never needed to connect to Target WiFi to use Cartwheel, cellular data works just fine. I just use it for coupons though, I don’t have a REDcard so I don’t use it for paying.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ateng
I wonder if BofA will limit contactless support to a subset of cards (say, only on Travel Rewards and the affiliate cards with no FTF). I would think Chase on their own would account for nearly all of the 100 million card figure considering they seem to be proactively replacing them.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Maybe, but I'm not sure what to make of the random locations occasionally showing up on the MC map. AFAIK only NFC transactions trigger a merchant showing up on there, so it can't be people using Samsung Pay doing it.
I think Kroger has Contactless but keeps "killing" it. So if someone tries it right after a system update or reset, it may work. Then it gets killed rapidly. That is why their locations keep showing up off and on the map.

You have to keep in mind how screwy their payment processing situation is. They have EMV at regular registers. At stores with drive through pharmacy, the pinpad attached to the drive through register is swipe only/no EMV/still has "input PIN or press enter for Credit" for all Debit cards... then stores with fuel station are on yet another card processing arrangement at the fuel station again with swipe only but a different merchant account.

Fortunately Kroger's CIO who was talking up how great Chase Pay is (how's that going) and how easily they can implement it without adding new equipment and how Apple Pay/NFC requires new equipment (really, those MX915s have NFC built in) and how it gets so little use in the tests they did for a short time period in few stores, is going to "retire" so we can hope they get some people in there who will support NFC payments. Hopefully that "Kroger Pay" idea that appears to be in development will just get shelved (throwing a lot of money away there) and they will move to industry standard/global standard NFC and get it over with. Just like CVS did.

Still tough to get my head around the fact that Safeway with historically lousy technology has leapfrogged so far past Kroger on payment processing technology the past couple years. EMV, EMV Contactless, even EMV at the gas pump. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by storewanderer; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:10 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think Kroger has Contactless but keeps "killing" it. So if someone tries it right after a system update or reset, it may work. Then it gets killed rapidly. That is why their locations keep showing up off and on the map.
You'd think people would have mentioned that by now if that's the case. Then again, MacRumors only talked about Target and contactless when they finally rolled out to all stores, so...

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Fortunately Kroger's CIO who was talking up how great Chase Pay is (how's that going) and how easily they can implement it without adding new equipment and how Apple Pay/NFC requires new equipment (really, those MX915s have NFC built in) and how it gets so little use in the tests they did for a short time period in few stores, is going to "retire" so we can hope they get some people in there who will support NFC payments. Hopefully that "Kroger Pay" idea that appears to be in development will just get shelved (throwing a lot of money away there) and they will move to industry standard/global standard NFC and get it over with. Just like CVS did.
IMO, interchange issues are likely the root of why many of the holdouts are still keeping it disabled. Kroger for instance likely wanted Chase Pay because transactions with it would possibly cost less than regular EMV ones.

That said, since Kroger uses the same POS software as Safeway (IIRC), they may be more open to it now that it's possible to force debit routing on contactless. Credit cards would still be an issue for them, however, hence their probable opt-out of that merchant class action settlement and continued lawsuits against the networks.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW Citi and other Mastercard issuers committed to rolling out contactless cards within the next two years, totaling around 300ish million cards. All it took was Chase to trigger it, apparently, as AmEx had it for a while (albeit on an opt-in basis until recently).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.