Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
There's a Target in LA (near UCLA) on the map too. I'm also seeing a suspiciously large number of Kroger locations (and one 99 Cents Only store thus far), though I don't know if that means anything.

Additionally, some more interesting things I've found:
  • One Target location in Phoenix (2727 W Agua Fria Fwy; might be worth trying for those in the area.)
  • One Sears location (El Cajon, CA--"Sears Parts and Repair Center". Not sure if this is legit or indicative of anything but may be worth trying. Though if they are finally enabling it, it's probably too late to get much use out of it.)
  • One Cheesecake Factory location at Westfield North County (Escondido, CA--I was just at that mall tonight and it looked like the terminals were still facing the employees and attached to the POSes.)
MC removed almost like 95% of all places in my whole area so its like it not finished updating or something and they only added new places? It seems to be the case as the brand new Freddy's is on the ctls locator now. Its very empty here now though and I can confirm KC JITB on there so yeah that us what has happened.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
They are on Storeline so it should work immediately. I wonder if the cashier has to do the key sequence total-EFT tender to activate it.

Not how it works at Grocery Outlet or Sprouts where you can tap anytime but Hy Vee seems to be a few or maybe more like a dozen versions behind the others...
The cashier was a good friend of mine and a manager and we tried everything we could think of. Rebooted the register, the card reader, went to another register. Their readers seem buggy right now though because even when registers are logged out, the readers will occasional randomly do the "remove card" chime.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Quantum Fireball

The cashier was a good friend of mine and a manager and we tried everything we could think of. Rebooted the register, the card reader, went to another register. Their readers seem buggy right now though because even when registers are logged out, the readers will occasional randomly do the "remove card" chime.
Well it seems to be still rolling out as people on twitter have had some success at certain locations and Hy-Vee even said this "Check with your local store, Jenny. Some store locations already have Apple Pay up and functioning." My location seems behind others on pos upgrades as well which means it will take a bit of extra time for it to become enabled. But it should be at all quite soon I'm sure.

https://imgur.com/aI3CvBO Speaking of Target I found the two nearest the Target HQ (1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55403) on the ctls locator and that can't be an accident. One of the locations even in the retail category. My nearest one on the ctls locator would be in O Fallon MO which is St Louis and no way I'm driving that far just to pay with my phone at Target. Some of these locations should be checked out for sure to see if its enabled, but so far it looks like it very well could be.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
MC removed almost like 95% of all places in my whole area so its like it not finished updating or something and they only added new places? It seems to be the case as the brand new Freddy's is on the ctls locator now. Its very empty here now though and I can confirm KC JITB on there so yeah that us what has happened.
Still no local JITB locations. Considering that JITB's HQ is here, I'm surprised there's not at least one or two that are test locations for stuff.

https://imgur.com/aI3CvBO Speaking of Target I found the two nearest the Target HQ (1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55403) on the ctls locator and that can't be an accident. One of the locations even in the retail category. My nearest one on the ctls locator would be in O Fallon MO which is St Louis and no way I'm driving that far just to pay with my phone at Target. Some of these locations should be checked out for sure to see if its enabled, but so far it looks like it very well could be.
I tried both Retail and Grocery and there aren't any Targets here. It would be nice to see what happens when you try to use debit cards with it but I'm not sure I want to drive to LA just for that.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, it turns out that the Sears Parts & Repair that I saw on the MC map permanently closed. Go figure.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015

Did it show Welcome, or was the screen blacked out?
It looked no different than the idle screen, which itself said Welcome. After inserting, the progress wheel appeared and spun for a couple of seconds before asking for tip.
Well I just tried my local Village Inn and It said Please Insert Card with the contactless logo but tapping resulted in nothing and I even tried my Amex nothing its totally dead now, so odd. So does this have to do with EMV contactless being enabled soon so that is why its temporary turned off?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:43 pm

Target store in downtown Chicago is also showing up. I'll try to stop by at some point soon.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Well I just tried my local Village Inn and It said Please Insert Card with the contactless logo but tapping resulted in nothing and I even tried my Amex nothing its totally dead now, so odd. So does this have to do with EMV contactless being enabled soon so that is why its temporary turned off?
Try another location, it could even be that the NFC reader literally just died. Sometimes this can be fixed by rebooting the terminal itself, but sometimes it requires complete replacement.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to one of the few Kmart locations remaining in my county tonight since I saw a fair number of Sears locations in the neighboring county on the map. Unfortunately it was still EMV/swipe only.

Regardless, I have doubts that they'll be around this time next year; there simply weren't all that many customers in the store despite supposedly being one of the "profitable" locations. Any contactless enablement will likely be very short lived, but who knows?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I went to Kung Fu Tea yesterday, and I noticed that, in addition to a customer accessible PIN pad, they had the Chase Pay equipment. This is the first time I've seen the reader in the wild. I've done Chase Pay at Starbucks and Best Buy, but this is the first time I've seen the Chase branded reader.

Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:15 am

There's a Target in LA (near UCLA) on the map too. I'm also seeing a suspiciously large number of Kroger locations (and one 99 Cents Only store thus far), though I don't know if that means anything.

Additionally, some more interesting things I've found:
  • One Target location in Phoenix (2727 W Agua Fria Fwy; might be worth trying for those in the area.
I work in the same plaza as this Target. I'll have to check it out
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by zolk
Target store in downtown Chicago is also showing up. I'll try to stop by at some point soon.
Update: No contactless at the self-checkout register I tried.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by zolk
Update: No contactless at the self-checkout register I tried.
Manned might work but the SF Matreon Target apparently had it working at self checkouts so maybe the Chicago one doesn't have it but usually manned is more likely to have ctls enabled first before self checkout that is common at most places initially.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Manned might work but the SF Matreon Target apparently had it working at self checkouts so maybe the Chicago one doesn't have it but usually manned is more likely to have ctls enabled first before self checkout that is common at most places initially.
I wouldn't think it'd matter either way. Then again, QC seemingly got disabled only at self checkout, so...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:56 pm

Looks like the MC map is in the process of updating.
Well I think they are finishing the update of the ctls locator as it says this currently: "Your request could not be completed because you have been signed out." and isn't working so maybe they are hard at working adding back all of the places back on that fell off but still obviously work.

Also I visited KFC recently and they upgraded to the same PAR registers as Taco Bell but they are still using the same KFC software as always so ctls works well still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.