Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Looks like despite Cinnabon seemingly adopting Revel at all locations now, it's still not guaranteed that a location will have iPP350s. One location in the San Diego area, for instance, looked to be using a Square swiper. Maybe in a few months it'll be all sorted?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
At CVS tonight, I tapped to pay and the cashier said "oh you have one of those new cards too?" So I showed him the card (the 2ish or so year old AmEx card that taps) and he then said another customer just came through with a Chase Card that tapped and it was the first time he'd ever seen cards that could do that.

So I guess someone has a Chase Card that can tap...
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
At CVS tonight, I tapped to pay and the cashier said "oh you have one of those new cards too?" So I showed him the card (the 2ish or so year old AmEx card that taps) and he then said another customer just came through with a Chase Card that tapped and it was the first time he'd ever seen cards that could do that.

So I guess someone has a Chase Card that can tap...
Speaking of AmEx, apparently "request a contactless card" is one of the reasons you can select when requesting a replacement card online. Or maybe that's been there for a while and I just noticed now?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Speaking of AmEx, apparently "request a contactless card" is one of the reasons you can select when requesting a replacement card online. Or maybe that's been there for a while and I just noticed now?
Wow it took me two tries to get my Amex ctls card which was like a few years ago though. So it seems Amex have made it a lot easier to get them good.

Speaking of contactless cards I thought I saw a Wells Fargo debit card with the ctls logo on the back with a chip on the front, but I could have been mistaking.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Villa Italian Kitchen apparently uses Merchant Link too, but with iPP350s. Also just as slow with contactless as at FYE. At least everything's enabled.

Also, I noticed that at Macy's, they want you to insert your Macy's AmEx before they ring anything up or submit an order. Contactless is also enabled at that time, which is weird since a) I thought they had EMV contactless and b) you have to keep the card inserted the entire time they're ringing up your order until it says "approved".
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:16 pm

Villa Italian Kitchen apparently uses Merchant Link too, but with iPP350s. Also just as slow with contactless as at FYE. At least everything's enabled.

Also, I noticed that at Macy's, they want you to insert your Macy's AmEx before they ring anything up or submit an order. Contactless is also enabled at that time, which is weird since a) I thought they had EMV contactless and b) you have to keep the card inserted the entire time they're ringing up your order until it says "approved".
When Macy's upgraded to MX925's they reverted back to contactless MSD for some reason at least as of a year ago so not sure if Macy's is still that way as I'm not that close to one. On the MX880's they did have EMV contactless but it forced pin just like Costco does on Visa debit cards.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:26 pm

Also, I noticed that at Macy's, they want you to insert your Macy's AmEx before they ring anything up or submit an order.
Among the listed benefits is “enjoy extra savings offers at checkout” so it makes sense that the system would need to know what your account is before the purchase is totaled to see what offers are available.

https://www.macys.com/p/credit-service/benefits/
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:10 pm

Also, I noticed that at Macy's, they want you to insert your Macy's AmEx before they ring anything up or submit an order.
Nordstrom does the same thing, but you can then remove the card before the order is totaled. It's kind of like the old days where some department stores would scan the barcode of your store card before scanning items and would then hit the "charge" button to tender.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I just returned from my annual trip to Australia. Besides the hotels and the one gift shop purchase I made on the Indian Pacific - I don't know if the EFTPOS only works in range of a city or can do offline transactions - I was able to use Google Pay for all of my transactions and avoid cash. Be careful with taxis and credit card payments though. The taxi I took in Adelaide levied a 6% surcharge, which exceeds the state allowed maximum of 5%. Typically the only other places where surcharges are universal are at hotels and rental cars, and there isn't much getting around using a card there.

I'm going to call Chase this week to get an update on availability of their contactless cards.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starbucks inside a Target location today used QC but the self checkouts were still on the last software version. I don't know if they're still rolling back the QC enabled software or if they've begun rolling it out again.

Originally Posted by Majuki
I'm going to call Chase this week to get an update on availability of their contactless cards.
Availability on most of their cards is supposedly in December, but then again, there were supposedly commercials showing Chase cards being tapped. Additionally, my Chase Freedom card updated on Samsung Pay, but I don't know if that's related.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Starbucks inside a Target location today used QC but the self checkouts were still on the last software version. I don't know if they're still rolling back the QC enabled software or if they've begun rolling it out again.

Availability on most of their cards is supposedly in December, but then again, there were supposedly commercials showing Chase cards being tapped. Additionally, my Chase Freedom card updated on Samsung Pay, but I don't know if that's related.
My local Target JUST got QC, here in Arizona. Slow rollout? Hope to see CTLS soon.

Stupid that they went back to the old Verifone sounds.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
My local Target JUST got QC, here in Arizona. Slow rollout? Hope to see CTLS soon.

Stupid that they went back to the old Verifone sounds.
Their original EMV rollout did take a couple of months IIRC, so I'm not surprised. Though if the rollout was suspended before, I'd have expected your location not to have gotten QC.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Additionally, my Chase Freedom card updated on Samsung Pay, but I don't know if that's related.
Updated as in the card design?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Updated as in the card design?
I presumed it was just the DAN that updated; the card design in the app looks the same as my current physical card. Maybe I can see if cardpeek shows anything else different (though I doubt it).

EDIT: looks like the Gear S3 doesn't flat out reject offline only contactless transactions on Visa now. However, I don't see any certificates, even though I can make it show that DDA is supported. I'm guessing it still won't work for transit overseas, but who knows?

Last edited by tmiw; Nov 26, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Majuki
I just returned from my annual trip to Australia. Besides the hotels and the one gift shop purchase I made on the Indian Pacific - I don't know if the EFTPOS only works in range of a city or can do offline transactions - I was able to use Google Pay for all of my transactions and avoid cash. Be careful with taxis and credit card payments though. The taxi I took in Adelaide levied a 6% surcharge, which exceeds the state allowed maximum of 5%. Typically the only other places where surcharges are universal are at hotels and rental cars, and there isn't much getting around using a card there.

At restaurants, did they actively seek to default of asking for a contactless card to take away to tap, or were they good-natured about bringing the terminal to you for phone payment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.