Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
In that case, maybe some chains will stop taking credit cards, though it’s still over a quarter of bus8ness.

Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:13 pm

It's kind of a no brainer to use a credit card as a sole method of purchase if it gives cashback points on stuff, no? Why would I use my debit card if I have a credit card that does the same thing and gives me cash back on top of that?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Barciur
It's kind of a no brainer to use a credit card as a sole method of purchase if it gives cashback points on stuff, no? Why would I use my debit card if I have a credit card that does the same thing and gives me cash back on top of that?
I hate to sound prejudiced but Debit users at grocery stores are people who generally are soccer moms, millennials, and and don't travel. They don't value things like airline miles and frankly literally don't know about them . Also everyone has to eat, so grocery stores have to serve all types of people, from all walks of life, including those with bad credit and can't get a credit card.

I for one, want as many SkyMiles as I can so I can savor the sweet sweet upgrades & lounge access.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
More likely places would end up going the Arco or WinCo route, where only debit cards are accepted. And some people may very well be okay with that.
WinCo is already accepting Credit in its Tulsa, OK area stores. Expect credit acceptance to follow in more of their newer markets because people are not "okay" with that in those new markets.

Arco already accepts Credit at the pump at virtually all of its stations in AZ and WA and also a few in NorCal and Las Vegas. And there are many more Arcos that will accept a credit card if you go inside through a stand alone terminal (probably try to surcharge you though). So again I guess people were not "okay" with that in those areas. And stations are leaving Arco for other brands by the dozen and part of the reason for that is because the stations do not attract customers in a lot of locations anymore because they do not accept Credit.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I hate to sound prejudiced but Debit users at grocery stores are people who generally are soccer moms, millennials, and and don't travel. They don't value things like airline miles and frankly literally don't know about them . Also everyone has to eat, so grocery stores have to serve all types of people, from all walks of life, including those with bad credit and can't get a credit card.

I for one, want as many SkyMiles as I can so I can savor the sweet sweet upgrades & lounge access.
I see an awful lot of people using debit cards at grocery stores... definitely more than using Credit.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well a relatively new thing is to charge about 10 cents more per gallon of gas to pay with credit card. Pretty sure that wasn’t always the case.

in fact, a Chevron station charges the same price for plastic or cash. They even take NFC.

but they’re often 20-30 cents higher than other stations which have dual pricing.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Barciur
Sure, but if it's causing merchants to throw a fit and potentially make cards more of a hassle and/or expensive to use, I'm not sure it's a good thing long term. Of course, capping interchange to EU levels has its own pitfalls (and possibly the same with any caps in general).

Originally Posted by storewanderer
WinCo is already accepting Credit in its Tulsa, OK area stores. Expect credit acceptance to follow in more of their newer markets because people are not "okay" with that in those new markets.

Arco already accepts Credit at the pump at virtually all of its stations in AZ and WA and also a few in NorCal and Las Vegas. And there are many more Arcos that will accept a credit card if you go inside through a stand alone terminal (probably try to surcharge you though). So again I guess people were not "okay" with that in those areas. And stations are leaving Arco for other brands by the dozen and part of the reason for that is because the stations do not attract customers in a lot of locations anymore because they do not accept Credit.
By "okay with it", I meant that customers would likely adjust if certain credit cards stopped being accepted, especially if it were made clear that it's due to fees. I remember reading about a survey a while ago that implied that most customers would support merchants over the networks, but I don't know who did the survey or in what context.

Also, it's definitely possible to be an Arco station and run credit cards on the "standard" POS/terminal/pump setup if one wanted to not be solely debit. I don't think this is the biggest reason why stations are switching brands.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:04 am

After my experiences using EMV at Hy-Vee, they definitely need Contactless... I am not even clear if they are doing real EMV or just reading the card number off of the chip and then running it non-EMV. The receipt says "S" and there is no EMV information at all on the top of the receipt where the card information is.

Kroger continues to be a serious payment technology laggard. But it is now very clear that the reason there is no NFC at Kroger is because there is some kind of a vendetta against NFC within the middle management at Kroger that is in charge of making these payment type decisions. It is clear now that other retailers like Costco use that same IBM/Toshiba system with Verifone MX915 pinpads and can do a very fast implementation of NFC under EMV at that. Their former convenience stores which I assume they still support the systems for continue to not support EMV as other convenience stores using that same Radiant system are almost all supporting EMV and most Contactless at this point (Speedway, Kum & Go, Circle K, etc.). Kroger also is behind on having EMV enabled at its gas pumps; Safeway has it enabled, why can't they?
Well I think Hy-Vee are doing real EMV but for some reason they don't have the chip info listed also Sprouts who also use NCR shows S for swipe as well but then they put chip info on the back. Hy-Vee just needs to add the chip info to the receipts. I'm sure Hy-Vee will also be supporting EMV contactless when its finally enabled.

I think Kroger will eventually support contactless but when that happens who knows. Most of Krogers competitors already have contactless so eventually they will have to support it as well. I'm thinking of England where Sainsbury's resisted like Kroger has but eventually Sainsbury's started to take contactless too.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by tmiw
More likely places would end up going the Arco or WinCo route, where only debit cards are accepted. And some people may very well be okay with that.
ARCO is interesting because they've done a fabulous job with contactless of all the major fuel chains I think, but they have kept the line in some regions on no credit at the pump. However, going back at least 15 years, ARCO has been selling SVC/gift cards that you can buy with credit at no extra charge (and sometimes a small discount). I think every grocery chain (including those that have their own gas stations) sell ARCO gift cards with no surcharge. So, it is just loopholes - if someone really wants to pay with credit, they have to get the gift card ($50 ones are likely most convenient). Is that enough to pacify the credit crowd, maybe.

Originally Posted by wco81
In that case, maybe some chains will stop taking credit cards, though it’s still over a quarter of bus8ness.

And stations are leaving Arco for other brands by the dozen and part of the reason for that is because the stations do not attract customers in a lot of locations anymore because they do not accept Credit.
I think this is where Kroger wants to get to, or at least only take credit for networks that give a lower discount fee rate. It is okay for me they want to resolve the fee issue before going Contactless (and I am just fine with my SPay option). As mentioned elsewhere, Winco also sells and recharges store gift cards with credit on their website that can be used at their debit-only stores. Aldi going to credit was a big change I feel (most of their outside the US stores have surcharges on credit if even accepted).

Lastly, I disagree on owners leaving the ARCO franchise because of credit. ARCO does allow stores to take credit. What happens is they end up having a not so competitive price point to other ARCO stations. The main reasons ARCOs were flagged to other brands has to do with how complicated the BP-Tesoro-Western Refining license/ownership situation became. It still is a mess because there were so many different legacy agreement out there. Western Refining is used to having stations that offer credit options as well (in their other flag brands). One example of this is USA Gasoline brand under Tesoro which takes credit (no surcharge). Some stores decided to not switch to ARCO even though arguably ARCO stations do much more volume than other Tesoro brands. So, I don't think ARCO under its many different operators will have a clear single payment pathway.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
As an update to my Chick-fil-A report, I inserted my Diners Club MC this morning. The screen stayed at the insert prompt for a second or so before going directly to "remove card" without a PIN prompt. cardpeek indicates that Quick Chip was used.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by scibot
Is this the H Mart that use this UI: https://imgur.com/ipN66fG ?
I'm not great at recognizing POS terminals as many of you other folks here are. However, in this case the link provided did not go through to an image.

As an aside regarding debit cards, I've seen reports from a folks who use their debit card for purchases, but absolutely do not want to use the pin, very strongly preferring either signing or no CVM, fearing that their pin for the bank account will be skimmed, with a massive drain to follow.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm not great at recognizing POS terminals as many of you other folks here are. However, in this case the link provided did not go through to an image.

As an aside regarding debit cards, I've seen reports from a folks who use their debit card for purchases, but absolutely do not want to use the pin, very strongly preferring either signing or no CVM, fearing that their pin for the bank account will be skimmed, with a massive drain to follow.
Hmm it looks like I can post the image directly and it works now: https://i.imgur.com/ipN66fG.jpg I'd imagine its the same as there were H Mart that supportted ctls for a while while others in CO looked like in my picture and it failed to work but it did say tap etc.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
... the link provided did not go through to an image......
Originally Posted by scibot
Hmm it looks like I can post the image directly and it works now: .....
The original link works as expected for me.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This time the link worked for me, and yes the terminal looks like the one I recall from the other day.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
ARCO is interesting because they've done a fabulous job with contactless of all the major fuel chains I think, but they have kept the line in some regions on no credit at the pump. However, going back at least 15 years, ARCO has been selling SVC/gift cards that you can buy with credit at no extra charge (and sometimes a small discount). I think every grocery chain (including those that have their own gas stations) sell ARCO gift cards with no surcharge. So, it is just loopholes - if someone really wants to pay with credit, they have to get the gift card ($50 ones are likely most convenient). Is that enough to pacify the credit crowd, maybe.

I think this is where Kroger wants to get to, or at least only take credit for networks that give a lower discount fee rate. It is okay for me they want to resolve the fee issue before going Contactless (and I am just fine with my SPay option). As mentioned elsewhere, Winco also sells and recharges store gift cards with credit on their website that can be used at their debit-only stores. Aldi going to credit was a big change I feel (most of their outside the US stores have surcharges on credit if even accepted).

Lastly, I disagree on owners leaving the ARCO franchise because of credit. ARCO does allow stores to take credit. What happens is they end up having a not so competitive price point to other ARCO stations. The main reasons ARCOs were flagged to other brands has to do with how complicated the BP-Tesoro-Western Refining license/ownership situation became. It still is a mess because there were so many different legacy agreement out there. Western Refining is used to having stations that offer credit options as well (in their other flag brands). One example of this is USA Gasoline brand under Tesoro which takes credit (no surcharge). Some stores decided to not switch to ARCO even though arguably ARCO stations do much more volume than other Tesoro brands. So, I don't think ARCO under its many different operators will have a clear single payment pathway.
Kroger stopped selling Arco (and Shell) gift cards in the past six months or so for the very reasons you describe. I believe Safeway/Albertsons still offer them, along with most other Blackhawk resellers.

Also the only Arcos that support Contactless at the pump are the Tesoro/Western ones. The BP ones, for some mysterious reason, do not support Contactless at the pump. I am told BP actually does not support it for them at the pump for some mysterious reason. Despite the fact that BP was a very early Contactless in-store merchant in the US and brought Contactless in-store at Arco as well.

I know of some USA stations that switched to Arco... in order to avoid credit card acceptance. You could say they "switched back" as they are old Thrifty Stations which were also typically Arco-style cash/debit+.35 fee only stations back when Arco/BP supported the Thrifty brand. Also in Las Vegas a lot of Rebel Oil stations which are supplied by Tesoro switched to Arco and went to credit in-store for merchandise only (no credit accepted for fuel at pump or in-store).
rasheed likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.