Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:19 am

So I just went to Shop N Shop on the Supervalu NCR system and it still prints out two peices one with card info. So I spent over $25 with MC and it shows pin verified so CDCVM was used. Visa debit used common debit aid and asked for a pin but allowed bypass spent $2 and CDCVM was not used. Yes NCR with EMV contactless so its a matter of time before all NCR places have it. Too bad Safeway is ripping it out for Toshiba crap. Oh and tapping works very well unlike Safeways. Also I'm checking out Save A Lot too see if its also EMV contactless. Edit: it was a test location two others near it did not have emv ctls and the self checkout was all disabled at the test store, so it sounds like that is why its not rolled out more widely yet.
Here is the pictures of the recipts differences:

Last edited by scibot; Feb 27, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I went by another Tender Greens a couple of days ago and it looked like there was actually a contactless reader at that one. Didn't try it, however, but might be worth a trip at some point. I wonder why it's so inconsistent.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Staples now has EMV Contactless.

AID printed on receipt and App Label of Visa Credit.

No signature for $43 transaction. I think before it would have prompted over $25. Could be they went to a $50 signature window.
About time. Maybe Debit Mastercard will work again.

- - - - - - - -
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I’m surprised Chase Pay is not more popular here as most people get their Per Cap direct deposited to a Chase debit card. But alas why bother when Apple Pay works fine.
If they have a special debit card or the funding account is anything other than personal checking, then it may not be eligible for Chase Pay. From the iOS App Store page:

Chase Pay is available for use with all eligible Chase Visa® consumer credit cards, debit cards and Chase Liquid® cards. At this time, Chase Pay doesn't accept business credit card, business debit cards or Mastercard® cards.
- - - - - -

Originally Posted by tmiw
Saw that signage today for the first time. It definitely doesn't seem to be at every location, though I'm not sure if that's because the promotional materials haven't been mailed out to all of them yet.

Anyway, is it me or are Coffee Bean's terminals pretty flaky when it comes to contactless? I don't remember ever having all that many issues with mobile phones not being read on other Verifone terminals, while at Coffee Bean I have to basically hold the phone near the magstripe reader (like what you do with Samsung Pay and MST mode) for it to actually read. On the other hand, they managed to put the various mobile wallet logos on the Verifone Point swipe/tap screen, so there's that.
I believe we have one Coffee Bean here inside a Hilton. The store is likely operated by the hotel and thus using a Hilton POS, but I'll have to check it out.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Mar 1, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
About time. Maybe Debit Mastercard will work again.
Of course each network is certified separably because each is slightly different so MC might not work for a year or more. I can confirm as I visited a Five Below and MC EMV contactless does in fact work and CVM is none so no cvm.

I visited a chain of Phillips 66 stations called Petro Mart and all have Gilbarco Passport with both MX915's and iSC250's and nfc is enabled inside and a few even have contactless at the pump and it works like another person has said before. https://imgur.com/M4b4Tdd While Phillips 66 Commander is a mess and nfc is actually disabled at many locations with chip. It also still has many bugs such as flashing This register is closed, ha. Unless they turned it off for some reason I will have to try out U Stop again and if it works then its disabled by certain owners.

On The Run Mobil has a very odd issue as they also have Gilbarco Passport and a mix of MX915's and iSC250's but the iSC250's accept Visa ctls just fine while the MX915's are very buggy while reading contactless and Visa says Use Chip Reader. I wonder why they mixed it up but the UI looks the same regardless of which brand of terminal is used.

I got the cashier at Circle K to press the correct button and the screen looks like this: https://imgur.com/NZ28z6o it has very little customization besides the Circle K logo. But yes the cashiers seem very poorly trained on contactless.

So it seems I run into EMV/contactless test locations a lot. Such as Shop N Save's NCR ACS EMV contactless test location(100 Jungerman Rd, St Peters, MO 63376) the difference is that is showed the four nfc dots on screen and an EMV/contactless test location for QT(5305 N 103rd St, Omaha, NE 68134). No other QT's I visited have EMV or EMV contactless although it has a piece of paper saying coming soon. I wonder if anyone else seen a QuikTrip with EMV/contactless enabled yet?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
Of course each network is certified separably because each is slightly different so MC might not work for a year or more. I can confirm as I visited a Five Below and MC EMV contactless does in fact work and CVM is none so no cvm.

I visited a chain of Phillips 66 stations called Petro Mart and all have Gilbarco Passport with both MX915's and iSC250's and nfc is enabled inside and a few even have contactless at the pump and it works like another person has said before. https://imgur.com/M4b4Tdd While Phillips 66 Commander is a mess and nfc is actually disabled at many locations with chip. It also still has many bugs such as flashing This register is closed, ha. Unless they turned it off for some reason I will have to try out U Stop again and if it works then its disabled by certain owners.

On The Run Mobil has a very odd issue as they also have Gilbarco Passport and a mix of MX915's and iSC250's but the iSC250's accept Visa ctls just fine while the MX915's are very buggy while reading contactless and Visa says Use Chip Reader. I wonder why they mixed it up but the UI looks the same regardless of which brand of terminal is used.

I got the cashier at Circle K to press the correct button and the screen looks like this: https://imgur.com/NZ28z6o it has very little customization besides the Circle K logo. But yes the cashiers seem very poorly trained on contactless.

So it seems I run into EMV/contactless test locations a lot. Such as Shop N Save's NCR ACS EMV contactless test location(100 Jungerman Rd, St Peters, MO 63376) the difference is that is showed the four nfc dots on screen and an EMV/contactless test location for QT(5305 N 103rd St, Omaha, NE 68134). No other QT's I visited have EMV or EMV contactless although it has a piece of paper saying coming soon. I wonder if anyone else seen a QuikTrip with EMV/contactless enabled yet?
Hoping the EMV rollout comes to AZ soon for Circle K.

As for QT we have emv and emv contactless in AZ

Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hoping the EMV rollout comes to AZ soon for Circle K.

As for QT we have emv and emv contactless in AZ

How many QT's have EMV or have you just visited one QT? I only visited one QT which turns out to be a test location, but they could have a test location per market. I will be visiting the test location and another one to see if chip is enabled at the other location.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:34 pm

Local dominos and carry out spot have contactless.

At Dominos, it failed on the first attempt but I might have moved my watch too quickly. One interesting thing is that it asked for my zipcode before my purchase went through.

Local carry out spot. VX model has an Apple Pay sticker on it. I asked the cashier, if I could use my phone to pay and she told me to go ahead. The VX seemed to be on dialup or a very slow dsl connection. Authorization was quick but still semi slow.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chili's has everything enabled on Ziosks now too. Couldn't try contactless (someone else was paying) but EMV looks like it's chip and signature only; I can't confirm 100% because the PIN-preferring Citi corporate card we tried using got rejected, possibly because Citi's fraud protection is a little touchy and declined the charge. Coworker's CSP worked fine though.

Now we just need to see if Outback has everything enabled as well. (Speaking of Outback, they apparently don't use Ziosks everywhere. For instance, I hear that the Houston area locations use European-style portable terminals, or well, did as of a few months ago from what I've read on reddit.)
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:04 pm

Chili's has everything enabled on Ziosks now too. Couldn't try contactless (someone else was paying) but EMV looks like it's chip and signature only; I can't confirm 100% because the PIN-preferring Citi corporate card we tried using got rejected, possibly because Citi's fraud protection is a little touchy and declined the charge. Coworker's CSP worked fine though.

Now we just need to see if Outback has everything enabled as well. (Speaking of Outback, they apparently don't use Ziosks everywhere. For instance, I hear that the Houston area locations use European-style portable terminals, or well, did as of a few months ago from what I've read on reddit.)
It would have asked for PIN before going online for authorisation.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
It would have asked for PIN before going online for authorisation.
Of course. However, the card itself also took several attempts just to not immediately say "card read error", so it could be something along those lines too.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:36 pm

Of course. However, the card itself also took several attempts just to not immediately say "card read error", so it could be something along those lines too.
Wow...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Wow...
In any case, I'd like to confirm with my own cards. I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually signature-only though.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
In any case, I'd like to confirm with my own cards. I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually signature-only though.
The ones in Olive Garden never asked for a PIN on my Canadian corporate card (pin preferring)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Skymiles

With the EMV enabled ones I wonder if they still take cards away if so inclined. I know that Olive Garden doesn’t.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the EMV enabled ones I wonder if they still take cards away if so inclined. I know that Olive Garden doesn’t.
It seemed like Chili's would if you let them but as I managed to enter my Plenti info on the Ziosk by the time the server came, we just went ahead and used it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.