Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Yeah, I still need to max out my Chase Freedom bonus so that'll work fine. Plus, I heard that those things only print out paper tickets/passes so I can't even get a Hop card as a souvenir (without going to one of their manned sales locations, anyway).

Also, the EMV chip is apparently on the wrong side of the card image in the photo.
I wouldn't swear to it (because it's been years since I've needed to go to that location) but I'd be shocked if the TriMet ticket office in Pioneer Square didn't accept contactless payment when the kiosks and card readers do!

(Well...maybe just surprised.)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I wouldn't swear to it (because it's been years since I've needed to go to that location) but I'd be shocked if the TriMet ticket office in Pioneer Square didn't accept contactless payment when the kiosks and card readers do!

(Well...maybe just surprised.)
I don't see that location on the MC map, though that doesn't mean all that much. I may be leaving Portland too early tomorrow to confirm either way, unfortunately.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by iamflyer
Last couple time I tried to use Android Pay at Savemart (Verifone terminals?) the terminal has said something like ERROR ONLY USE 1 CARD, while my phone will say PHONE MOVED TOO FAST. Android pay continues to work elsewhere. Anyone experience something like that?
Have used Android Pay at 3 different Save Marts in Nevada this week (2 at a full service register, 1 at self checkout) no issue. Transactions around $1 each. Maybe a larger amount is messing it up?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Five Below finally fixed Mastercard contactless. My debit card worked just fine today, EMV contactless with No CVM. They also now support Discover contactless, MSD-only however.
Why don't these companies upgrade to EMV contactless, I mean c'mon...
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why don't these companies upgrade to EMV contactless, I mean c'mon...
Sounds like Five Below is doing so.

Also, with signature going away altogether, I'm not sure EMV vs. MSD matters all that much for the American consumer (assuming said consumer doesn't plan on traveling abroad).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Skymiles

Also, with signature going away altogether, I'm not sure EMV vs. MSD matters all that much for the American consumer (assuming said consumer doesn't plan on traveling abroad).
It won’t matter either way as the Apple Pay cards support both.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:57 am

When actual magstripe is a distant memory, fraud will shift to the next easiest thing - MSD contactless... There's also the general reliability issue to consider.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
When actual magstripe is a distant memory, fraud will shift to the next easiest thing - MSD contactless... There's also the general reliability issue to consider.
Eh, online fraud seems like an easier target than MSD contactless, especially since there still seems to be no appetite for 3D Secure here.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Eh, online fraud seems like an easier target than MSD contactless, especially since there still seems to be no appetite for 3D Secure here.
We're actually seeing a lot of MSD contactless fraud in Canada (and many merchants don't have 3d secure here either), so much so that Visa is ending MSD terminal support early in Canada (Amex is also getting hammered on MSD contactless fraud as well but I can't see them ending support as barely any Canadian terminals support EMV contactless on Amex). Visa is also blocking all Canadian mag stripe fallback transactions on the 1st Feb as well.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by reclusive46
We're actually seeing a lot of MSD contactless fraud in Canada (and 75% of merchants don't have 3d secure here either), so much so that Visa is ending MSD terminal support early in Canada. Visa is also blocking all Canadian mag stripe fallback transactions on the 1st Feb as well.
Have they moved it up from October 2019?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
We're actually seeing a lot of MSD contactless fraud in Canada (and many merchants don't have 3d secure here either), so much so that Visa is ending MSD terminal support early in Canada (Amex is also getting hammered on MSD contactless fraud as well but I can't see them ending support as barely any Canadian terminals support EMV contactless on Amex). Visa is also blocking all Canadian mag stripe fallback transactions on the 1st Feb as well.
This. MSD contactless is better than magstripe, and thus it was easy to ignore the people whinging about how insecure contactless was when the alternative was magstripe (which has no security at all). But now people will be comparing 'contactless to chip' and not understanding there are two contactless modes.

MSD contactless needs to end, ideally today. I'd rather see contactless acceptance temporarily drop a bit than see consumer confidence in contactless permanently destroyed in the US.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
Have they moved it up from October 2019?
For domestic transactions yes. Actual terminal support will still end on the 19th October 2019 but domestic issuers will have to decline MSD contactless transactions very soon (1st April off the top of my head but could be sooner (There is an exemption for gas pumps though)). The FI I work for already declines MSD transactions in Canada (with the exception of one big national merchant, who won't complete their MSD to EMV upgrade for a few more months).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
MSD contactless needs to end, ideally today. I'd rather see contactless acceptance temporarily drop a bit than see consumer confidence in contactless permanently destroyed in the US.
Would it be, though? I mean, if something like the Target breach didn't cause people to stop using cards en masse, I'm not sure what would.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of MSD contactless, apparently the car wash with unattended EMV capable terminals I mentioned before didn't use EMV contactless tonight. I don't think it's an iOS beta issue either, since I'm pretty sure a transaction at a SSP America location in PDX earlier in the day used EMV contactless with no issue. I wonder what happened.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:06 am

I just saw two BP Bucky's with Flex Pay IV with nfc readers and I know BP in Sioux Falls SD have working nfc at the pump. I'm soon going to try out nfc at BP Bucky's which already has working nfc at the pump at an unbranded Bucky's Express location. It seems they only have it at recently upgraded pump locations or new locations. I also wonder if BP is mandating it at the pump now? Very interesting things happening at the pump recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.