Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Do you know if they're using the same system chain-wide?
Yes they are using Radiant in the whole chain but I'm not sure about the new NCR Optic gas pumps being chain wide or not, as I saw locations with both but most seemed to have those new pumps with emv+nfc.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Yes they are using Radiant in the whole chain but I'm not sure about the new NCR Optic gas pumps being chain wide or not, as I saw locations with both but most seemed to have those new pumps with emv+nfc.
Hmm, I'll go ahead and figure out adding all of them for EMV inside only (w/no contactless).

Speaking of outside, a Costco here that had their gas station closed for a few months appears to have reopened. It looked like there were NFC readers at each pump (which I'm not sure were there before) but I didn't get closer to be sure.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

I can confirm chip and contactless support at Vans and Forever 21. Neither have EMV contactless, and Amex Apple Pay didn't work at Vans. Not sure about debit routing or PIN support.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
I haven't seen NCR Optic yet at Speedway. My local ones just have standard Gilbarco pumps.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I can confirm chip and contactless support at Vans and Forever 21. Neither have EMV contactless, and Amex Apple Pay didn't work at Vans. Not sure about debit routing or PIN support.
If merchants are newly coming online with chip and MSD contactless in 2018, I'm not sure how Visa expects EMV contactless to be everywhere next year.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I just returned from a week in Italy. Contactless acceptance via mobile payment is a lot better than it was a year ago, even though Android Pay is not native in Italy. There were even a number of merchants with Apple Pay stickers, which officially launched in 2017. Only two places refused a contactless payment, both museums, citing that, "It doesn't work." Of course, there was the contactless symbol with the LED lights on the terminal in both cases. I coached waiters at a few restaurants through the process as well. I think there are two primary advantages to doing mobile payments in Europe. The biggest advantage is not having to sign/worry about PIN acceptance. The second advantage is it allows one's wallet to stay out of sight for the transaction, which is useful in crowded areas.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: FB Gold
Returned from a week in Taiwan. They're not quite as big into credit cards there, but contactless EMV worked great for my Paypal Mastercard debit at the places that took contactless (more and more thesedays).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
Returned from a week in Taiwan. They're not quite as big into credit cards there, but contactless EMV worked great for my Paypal Mastercard debit at the places that took contactless (more and more thesedays).
Ironically the food court restaurants at Gloria Outlets next to the Taoyuan HSR station all seemed to take contactless but not EasyCard.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
Are you saying places in Taiwan take Mastercard debit but not credit? I thought this was only allowed in the Europe region?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Are you saying places in Taiwan take Mastercard debit but not credit? I thought this was only allowed in the Europe region?
Could also mean that most people don't bother applying for credit cards there (meaning that debit cards are way more common than credit cards).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed that this benefits page I was emailed this morning only mentions "digital wallets" despite having the contactless logo on the card itself. I wonder if AmEx considers the latter mainly a backup for the former or if there's some other reason for not emphasizing the contactless card functionality.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:56 am

Are you saying places in Taiwan take Mastercard debit but not credit?
I have yet to encounter a place that only takes Visa/MC debit but not credit in Taiwan.

I noticed that this benefits page I was emailed this morning only mentions "digital wallets" despite having the contactless logo on the card itself.
I'm wondering that too. I'll be receiving the Aspire card in a few days, so I'll report back. I've already got the card in Android Pay.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:21 am

I noticed that this benefits page I was emailed this morning only mentions "digital wallets" despite having the contactless logo on the card itself. I wonder if AmEx considers the latter mainly a backup for the former or if there's some other reason for not emphasizing the contactless card functionality.
I wouldn't read the much into it. They're simply advertising ways to pay in addition to the card. Just like they don't mention the contact chip. Having a functional card is a basic expectation not a benefit.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:56 am

Speaking of outside, a Costco here that had their gas station closed for a few months appears to have reopened. It looked like there were NFC readers at each pump (which I'm not sure were there before) but I didn't get closer to be sure.
You talking about the Morena Blvd location? The gas station reopened I think in November, with all new pumps with the big color screens and EMV and contactless readers (unlike Poway which was a mix of old and new pumps the last time I was there). Actual payments are still swipe-only though.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't read the much into it. They're simply advertising ways to pay in addition to the card. Just like they don't mention the contact chip. Having a functional card is a basic expectation not a benefit.
The difference here is that contact chip is basically on every card now while contactless cards are still pretty uncommon. At least it seems to be mentioned in the FAQ:

Will my new Hilton Honors American Express Card be a Contactless Card?
Yes. Contactless technology allows you to make quick and easy payments with a simple tap. To pay using your contactless feature, look for the contactless symbol on the reader at participating merchants. Then tap your Card on the reader. It’s as simple as that. If the merchant does not accept contactless payments, you can still use your Card the same way you do today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.