Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by mlin32
Getting irritated at the messed-up implementation of contactless in the US....

Whereas my Paypal Debit Mastercard is the most favourable contactless outside the US, a lot of places in the US don't like it.

"Card Read Error"......"Card not accepted" ......"Card not read, try again" happens more often than not.

The swipe and insert works fine. But I guess the MSD implementation used in the US doesn't take well to a debit MC.
I have some problems lately with my Contactless American Express as well. What is odd is these are some places with EMV Contactless and it does not work:
Walgreens- card read error, insert card (EMV Contactless)
McDonalds- card read error, insert card (EMV Contactless)
Carls Jr. with Ingenico reader attached to register - gives odd Express Pay not supported error (MSD Contactless merchant)
Maverik gas pump with Verifone contactless attachment that sticks out of pump like what Arco uses (MSD Contactless merchant) - what is odd is at the older Maverik that has the Contactless thing inside the pump it works fine.

Works fine everywhere else... which is the vast majority of places.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of contactless not working...

https://www.cnet.com/news/its-still-...-us-heres-why/
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

Whereas my Paypal Debit Mastercard is the most favourable contactless outside the US, a lot of places in the US don't like it.

"Card Read Error"......"Card not accepted" ......"Card not read, try again" happens more often than not.

The swipe and insert works fine. But I guess the MSD implementation used in the US doesn't take well to a debit MC.
When I had my HSBC debit MasterCard a couple of years ago, it wouldn't even register at Rite Aid, the terminal just sat there and acted like contactless didn't exist, even though it worked fine at places like Wegmans.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:35 pm

I have so many issues with my Debit Mastercard in Apple Pay. There are many shops whose systems seem to struggle with it. It's frustrating.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I have so many issues with my Debit Mastercard in Apple Pay. There are many shops whose systems seem to struggle with it. It's frustrating.
I wonder if Visa is better at making sure merchants fix their systems as my Visa cards in AP don't seem to have issues nearly as often.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I have some problems lately with my Contactless American Express as well. What is odd is these are some places with EMV Contactless and it does not work:
Walgreens- card read error, insert card (EMV Contactless)
McDonalds- card read error, insert card (EMV Contactless)
Carls Jr. with Ingenico reader attached to register - gives odd Express Pay not supported error (MSD Contactless merchant)
Maverik gas pump with Verifone contactless attachment that sticks out of pump like what Arco uses (MSD Contactless merchant) - what is odd is at the older Maverik that has the Contactless thing inside the pump it works fine.

Works fine everywhere else... which is the vast majority of places.
Amex physical tap has worked just fine for me at Staples, Starbucks, and McDonalds recently.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder if Visa is better at making sure merchants fix their systems as my Visa cards in AP don't seem to have issues nearly as often.
I have that suspicion, too. I honestly can't remember the last time Visa didn't work right at a tap-friendly merchant.

I think it could also be something debit-specific. Most of my Apple Pay issues are with debit and prepaid cards, and at merchants who auto-select the common AID.

I don't have a Mastercard or Discover credit card to test, unfortunately.

(Edited for detail.)

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Dec 3, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it's something debit-specific? Most of my Apple Pay issues are with debit and prepaid cards.

I don't have a Mastercard or Discover credit card to test, unfortunately.
I've had issues with tapping my Diners Club MC before. I haven't tried recently, however.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The car wash I took my car to today switched from a FD35 to a Clover Mini with some sort of keypad. First time I've ever seen that anywhere. Also, why not just switch to Clover Station instead of using a separate cash register?

At least Apple Pay worked okay and I didn't have to walk them through how to run it.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:13 pm

The car wash I took my car to today switched from a FD35 to a Clover Mini with some sort of keypad. First time I've ever seen that anywhere. Also, why not just switch to Clover Station instead of using a separate cash register?

At least Apple Pay worked okay and I didn't have to walk them through how to run it.
In my experience, Clover merchants that actually have contactless tend to be more open to its usage. There isn't much friction either. Their merchant services company must be doing a good job.

However, at this salon nearby, I actually have to say I'm using Apple Pay before they press the button and hold the FD40 for me. If I say credit and wait to tap, they get confused.

On a side note, have you noticed any Square merchants regressing to swipe-only? It's starting to be a problem here.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles
In my experience, Clover merchants that actually have contactless tend to be more open to its usage. There isn't much friction either. Their merchant services company must be doing a good job.

However, at this salon nearby, I actually have to say I'm using Apple Pay before they press the button and hold the FD40 for me. If I say credit and wait to tap, they get confused.

On a side note, have you noticed any Square merchants regressing to swipe-only? It's starting to be a problem here.
only one but they went back to it for now. These things with Square are totally unreliable which is probably why they went and made their own register from the ground up.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Square also appears to block those prepaid Visa/MC/Amex gift cards, so people can't use them to pay for a legitimate transaction at a restaurant that uses Square.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by diburning
Square also appears to block those prepaid Visa/MC/Amex gift cards, so people can't use them to pay for a legitimate transaction at a restaurant that uses Square.
They’re not blocked. The customer just have to know how much is exactly left on them.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think saying "credit" works better in countries with high contactless card penetration that require a button to be pushed for all forms of card payment, not just contactless/mobile wallets. Meanwhile in the US, since mobile wallets are basically the only form of contactless available to most people, it's a lot easier to just say "Apple Pay" as everyone assumes that you're going to insert a physical card otherwise.

As for Square, I've noticed a lot of hiding the reader from customers (as is also sadly typical with non-Square merchants), but not much in the way of going away from using it altogether.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:09 pm

Meanwhile in the US, since mobile wallets are basically the only form of contactless available to most people
CapitalOne, American Express, HSBC, Citi Costco, PayPal... I'd say that's pretty wide availability!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.