Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
The sad thing is that I'm not sure that would be a guarantee. One small restaurant I went to for example had me tell the cashier at the front the tip amount before their VX520 would turn on for insert/tap. Fortunately in that instance the terminal was still reachable by customers.
the point of tip adjust the restaurants were arguing for was to make it less awkward. They’re making it more awkward by making you verbally State the tip.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
In 26 years I haven't seen one of those in America, unfortunately. You make a good point and I wish certain merchants would implement such a system (places like Wegmans don't need these).
The separate contactless-only readers are being phased out. They used to be common in America (Jack In The Box, etc).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
the point of tip adjust the restaurants were arguing for was to make it less awkward. They’re making it more awkward by making you verbally State the tip.
This was a small mom and pop. They likely have no idea how their stuff works other than what they've been told.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
The separate contactless-only readers are being phased out. They used to be common in America (Jack In The Box, etc).
I remember the same company that made Jamba Juice's readers having something new that's also contactless-only. I don't remember who makes them, though.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:37 pm

This was a small mom and pop. They likely have no idea how their stuff works other than what they've been told.

I remember the same company that made Jamba Juice's readers having something new that's also contactless-only. I don't remember who makes them, though.
vivotech and IDTECH come to mind. I have never seen these readers anywhere else.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

vivotech and IDTECH come to mind. I have never seen these readers anywhere else.
Vivotech seems to have gone out of business. IDTECH is still around, though: https://www.idtechproducts.com/produ...ess-emv-reader
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Vivotech seems to have gone out of business.
I've always had some issues with the Vivotech readers in the sense that a contactless payment sometimes requires multiple taps to read properly.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've always had some issues with the Vivotech readers in the sense that a contactless payment sometimes requires multiple taps to read properly.
I wonder if Jamba Juice will now get real grown up card terminals. A Vx820 would fit there just fine.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if Jamba Juice will now get real grown up card terminals. A Vx820 would fit there just fine.
I dunno, there still seems to be a lot of the readers still for sale from various companies. I've also seen references to them supporting EMV contactless, though that could be false.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to a second Burger King that was on the MC map and contactless did work at that one.

There were also official looking cards in the chip slots this time, though I couldn't get photos.

The receipt unfortunately doesn't show that contactless was used.

Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:47 pm

couldn't get photos.
Android Pay is protected such that you can't get screenshots of the app, so I'm surprised Apple Pay isn't similarly restricted.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:50 pm

I went to a second Burger King that was on the MC map and contactless did work at that one.

There were also official looking cards in the chip slots this time, though I couldn't get photos.

The receipt unfortunately doesn't show that contactless was used.

I sure hope my local ones arrive soon. That literally now leaves Wendy’s and JITB
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:03 pm

Android Pay is protected such that you can't get screenshots of the app, so I'm surprised Apple Pay isn't similarly restricted.
Nope, just took a screenshot of Android Pay, and have done so before as well...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Nope, just took a screenshot of Android Pay, and have done so before as well...
Odd. I can do it too. I have tried to take a screenshot when doing a payment - to show the animation - and it hasn't allowed me before.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sure hope my local ones arrive soon. That literally now leaves Wendy’s and JITB
Actually, I have a pretty big list of chains that don't have EMV yet. Granted, some of those do have contactless. Hopefully soon!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:33 pm

I never had this issue with it.

Anyone having success with the Justice League promo in Android Pay? I've used Android Pay numerous times and I'm still stuck on 1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.