Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Apple Pay Cash does not support partial auth. I just tried at a Square merchant (Square do support it), and it declined instead of debiting the balance.
Weirdly, this article seems to imply that Apple Pay Cash does support it? Though the author wasn't completely clear on whether the retailer automatically charged whatever was left or if it needed multiple taps of the Apple Pay Cash card (first one declining because not enough funds, with second succeeding because it was only the amount remaining).
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Actually it makes zero sense.

Nothing should "go wrong" with the systems put in place. If something does happen, the IT people will no longer have a job. The check out experience should be the same at every register.

The front end isn't a beta testing grounds for new register software... It needs to be worked out before it's implemented.
My day job is in software development and I'm happy you think so highly of my peers. That said...

99.99% of software is garbage. The remaining 0.01% was written to operate the Space Shuttle.

The front end may not be beta testing grounds, but there will always be bugs that won't crop up until you deploy to production. Users will do strange things.
IslesFan likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by wco81
Cupertino Safeway, the stupid terminal prompted for a signature on Apple Pay.

I scrawled garbage on it, completely illegible. I might has well have drawn a smiley face.

So the last time I used Apple Pay there, it didn't prompt for a signature.
Safeway seems to now require a signature for transactions above $25. If you buy gift cards it seems to require a signature for any amount now. Very odd.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Safeway seems to now require a signature for transactions above $25. If you buy gift cards it seems to require a signature for any amount now. Very odd.
I would say what's the point in collecting signatures since with mobile payments, they only get a DAN and no account holder name?

But I forget that I'm keying in my Safeway loyalty card number in order to get discounts, so they do have a name to link to the DAN from the card I used in Apple Pay.

I can't recall ever having to sign even when I use a physical card so maybe it's something new.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
My day job is in software development and I'm happy you think so highly of my peers. That said...
Don't bring your personal life into the forums, not a good idea.

With that said, I agree with you, 99.9% of software is pretty bad. Even iOS isn't as polished as it used to be.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
I would say what's the point in collecting signatures...
Signatures are used to resolve disputes, not to authenticate transactions at the point of sale.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Even then, is the scribble even admissible? Particularly electronically captured ones on pin pads where they look completely different than if the person signed on paper?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Signatures are used to resolve disputes, not to authenticate transactions at the point of sale.
In the US, sure, but a lot of other places actually take the authentication part seriously.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Was the contactless still MSD-only? I don't think I've ever seen EMV contactless working at any Quick Chip merchant.
No, it was EMV. There's an AID and TC on the receipt.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Weirdly, this article seems to imply that Apple Pay Cash does support it? Though the author wasn't completely clear on whether the retailer automatically charged whatever was left or if it needed multiple taps of the Apple Pay Cash card (first one declining because not enough funds, with second succeeding because it was only the amount remaining).
Hm, weird. I think the merchant in the article must have charged only the balance then, as my experience at two different stores suggests there being no partial auth support.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
No, it was EMV. There's an AID and TC on the receipt.
Updated the wiki. (Not sure why Meijer wasn't added before.)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by storewanderer
They call me Mister X! I spoke with a fellow who works for Bank of America, who told me that your signature is not ever used for anything except returns.

I really wonder in tourist heavy areas whether European merchants truly find it useful to save all these tiny slips from $5 cups of coffee for the possibility of one single charge back. In which case some poor clerk has to go through hundreds of them to find the one that matches?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
A good point. Many issuing banks hand out "signature cards" I've noticed. Perhaps they pull that out of your file and compare the signatures on the receipt you've signed to authenticate the transaction? I'm sure the merchant sends the copy of the receipt to the bank if the cardholder is disputing a transaction.

With that said, I find signature to be silly. When I order food at work and can't pick it up, someone signs their own name on the receipt and the delivery driver just drives away because they don't care. I'm glad MasterCard was the first of the major issuers to get rid of signature in the US.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hurley now has EMV+contactless (MSD only, though) with MX925s, meaning that all of the Nike owned locations now have it. I was wondering what kind of terminal they'd eventually go with.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Actually it makes zero sense.

Nothing should "go wrong" with the systems put in place. If something does happen, the IT people will no longer have a job. The check out experience should be the same at every register.

The front end isn't a beta testing grounds for new register software... It needs to be worked out before it's implemented.
Every IT department and software engineering team have a test environment.

A few lucky ones have a separate production environment (NASA, and maybe one or two more like nuclear plants).

You see where I'm going with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.