Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I just swapped to the Starwood contactless version. Such a pleasure to tap and go at whole foods
Speaking of which has contactless gotten better with physical contactless cards and Mx915s? I’ve always had trouble with physical contactless cards and MX915s whereas Apple Pay works fine. I think the signal emitting from an Mx915 can be quite weak, but the phone sends a strong enough signal.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Speaking of which has contactless gotten better with physical contactless cards and Mx915s? I’ve always had trouble with physical contactless cards and MX915s whereas Apple Pay works fine. I think the signal emitting from an Mx915 can be quite weak, but the phone sends a strong enough signal.
I've never had any sort of issue with it. Never seen issues with the few merchants in Canada that use the MX915 either.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Has anyone noticed that overseas contactless transactions seem to post far more quickly than American ones? (I don't know if what I noticed during my UK trip was just a coincidence or not.)
It's likely the result of two things. Batch settlement may occur more frequently. This is more common with standalone terminals as well as there is a maximum number of transactions the terminal can retain prior to having to settle.

And even if you assume once per day settlement, travelling pretty much anywhere overseas from North America results in you being 'ahead' in time so when batch settlement is occurring, it might be making whatever daily deadline your issuer has for posting, so you see the transactions quicker.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:22 pm

Dick's Sporting Goods has Apple Pay logos at the registers. Didn't get a chance to try though.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by D582
I've never had any sort of issue with it. Never seen issues with the few merchants in Canada that use the MX915 either.
I think Retalix and NCR gateways just suck when it comes to contactless. So many issues.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
...updated HHonors card designs I got emailed about today. Apparently the new cards will have contactless by default?
Yes and the contactless logo isn't hidden on the backside of the card in the corner. Perhaps AMEX should redesign most of their cards and put them in a logical spot. Contactless on a card should be a well known feature, right in the front center or slightly to the right. The last Hilton I stayed at didn't have customer facing readers but just those swipe ones attached to the monitor, so I wonder if Hilton specifically requested these, or if AMEX will be rolling out contactless as default on re-designed cards.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Pre-EMV, some grocery stores with the MX915s seemed to struggle to read my Contactless cards. I would hold it over the reader and the green lights would keep blinking but it would not pick up the card until a few tries.

I don't want to be too hard on NCR/Retalix since they have managed to get virtually all of the stores that use their systems, to accept Contactless... unlike IBM/Toshiba...

Since those same grocery stores have upgraded to EMV, this is no longer a problem and the MX915 picks up the Contactless card beautifully on the first pass attempt.

Rite Aid is one that still seems to struggle a bit to pick up the Contactless card but eventually it does.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Dick's Sporting Goods has Apple Pay logos at the registers. Didn't get a chance to try though.
Apple announced they would have it online soon, IIRC. Sounds like that's indeed the case.

I think Retalix and NCR gateways just suck when it comes to contactless. So many issues.
I don't have problems if I use Apple Pay--or at least haven't had any recently anyway. Terminals in the US may just be optimized for the mobile wallets instead of contactless cards, which is understandable considering how uncommon the latter currently are.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Yes and the contactless logo isn't hidden on the backside of the card in the corner. Perhaps AMEX should redesign most of their cards and put them in a logical spot. Contactless on a card should be a well known feature, right in the front center or slightly to the right. The last Hilton I stayed at didn't have customer facing readers but just those swipe ones attached to the monitor, so I wonder if Hilton specifically requested these, or if AMEX will be rolling out contactless as default on re-designed cards.
I don't really think the logo placement is as important as the card supporting it at all (or really, merchants supporting it).

Also, I'm not sure contactless is a huge priority for hotels. Even Marriott, who claimed they were rolling out Apple Pay support in the US, doesn't support contactless in the UK (at least at the two that I stayed at recently). Never mind that they apparently haven't moved beyond their pilot hotels in the US.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I don't really think the logo placement is as important as the card supporting it at all (or really, merchants supporting it).
I'd rather see confidence in contactless from the banks/issuers than a coward-like effort by putting it on the back corner. They're basically saying, "we don't want you to know this card has contactless" by putting it on the back or the back corner.

Also, I'm not sure contactless is a huge priority for hotels...
But I'm questioning whether Hilton requested that AMEX issue contactless cards as standard, or if AMEX did it on their own.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd rather see confidence in contactless from the banks/issuers than a coward-like effort by putting it on the back corner. They're basically saying, "we don't want you to know this card has contactless" by putting it on the back or the back corner.
There's also, oh, sending other marketing material along with the card when you get it. I don't think this is a huge issue.

But I'm questioning whether Hilton requested that AMEX issue contactless cards as standard, or if AMEX did it on their own.
We don't know for sure what they said to AmEx but in Marriott's case, the Canadian version of their card does have contactless (yet they don't seem to support it at their hotels). That's why I was thinking that it's not too likely that Hilton asked for it.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:04 am

There's also, oh, sending other marketing material along with the card when you get it. I don't think this is a huge issue...
Never gets read by most people. It's pretty cowardly.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

We don't know for sure what they said to AmEx but in Marriott's case, the Canadian version of their card does have contactless (yet they don't seem to support it at their hotels). That's why I was thinking that it's not too likely that Hilton asked for it.
I’m not sure the Canadian version of the card having contactless means much either way. Pretty much every card is contactless in Canada, it would almost be like the card not having a chip.

Hilton seem to have contactless enabled in many of their bars/restaurants outside the US though. Many SPG hotels are similar.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never gets read by most people. It's pretty cowardly.
There's also the whole press release Capital One put out. If they were that afraid of it, I would think that they would have just added it quietly without the fanfare (or just not bothered with contactless cards at all).

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I’m not sure the Canadian version of the card having contactless means much either way. Pretty much every card is contactless in Canada, it would almost be like the card not having a chip.

Hilton seem to have contactless enabled in many of their bars/restaurants outside the US though. Many SPG hotels are similar.
Yeah, I didn't get a chance to try eating at the hotel bar/restaurant at either of the Marriotts I went to so they very well could have had contactless too. Maybe next time I stay at one overseas. (Though honestly, I'm kinda warming up to the whole Airbnb idea so I dunno.)
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:35 am

There's also the whole press release Capital One put out. If they were that afraid of it, I would think that they would have just added it quietly without the fanfare (or just not bothered with contactless cards at all).
It's not even advertised on their website, where the information really matters... Not some press release buried somewhere on a page where nobody visits. Nowhere on any of the primary pages does it mention anything about contactless when they're advertising each individual card.

Capital One's contactless implementation was cowardly. Logo on the back of the card and no mention of it with the card's advertisement, just some lame piece of paper that nobody reads that explains the the logo on the back means it has contactless, but like I've said, I bet most people don't see or read it anyway. It's like they don't want people to know it actually has contactless until after they're approved for it, and then perhaps they hope customers may forget the feature exists because nobody looks at the back of the card unless they're reading the numbers off of it.

I shouldn't really single out C.O, though, AMEX does the same stuff, at least it'll be the case until the new Hilton cards are rolled out. The contactless logo should be visible and advertised where you look at the card most.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to try eating at the hotel bar/restaurant at either of the Marriotts I went to so they very well could have had contactless too. Maybe next time I stay at one overseas. (Though honestly, I'm kinda warming up to the whole Airbnb idea so I dunno.)
Another reason they may not have contactless at check in is that foreign cards can often have weird reactions to contactless readers. For example, my UK MasterCard will work in Canada over 100$ via contactless still with no cvm and my UK Amex would bypass the PIN and ask for a signature. The same is true for Canadian cards in the UK. Maybe hotels want to avoid falling short of liability rules. (Also they can't re-authorize your card for more incidentals on a contactless authorisation)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.