Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IslesFan
I wonder if the added US Visa Card support was a hack to resolve the issue with american cards? Last time I was in London(exactly a year ago) I was using my capital one 360 debit card(mastercard) in apple pay. No issues with the Journey history on the TFL site.
Possible. I might try to add the DAN from cardpeek when I get back to the US and see if it picks anything up.

Thinking about it some more, look at the time of your alert, 3am BST. Look at the time of the alert, 10PM EST. I've seen the chase alert be flaky(and not correctly realize timezones)... and say a 10PM charge is at 10AM.
My final tap for today was at around 17:45 BST so I'll watch for the next notification to confirm either way. I thought it used to say AM/PM next to the alert time but I don't usually pay too close attention so I'm not sure on that.

Originally Posted by Sintaku
Well, AP is more convenient but next time I will just use my contactless Amex as this ended up being a bigger pain for the couple of extra points that I get.
Eh, for 4x UR (3x normally + 1x for mobile wallet use) I'll put up with it. A physical contactless card would likely be faster though.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I got a "Seek Assistance" error on one reader today while tapping out, but another worked okay. I'm not sure if that's a fluke or if I should be concerned.

Also, I wonder if the refund issue means that we should still recommend physical contactless cards/Oyster over AP for Americans when possible.
Random red lights/"SEEK ASSISTANCE" happen... they seem to occur in rough order of frequency from least often to most:

- Oyster cards with a Travelcard
- Oyster PAYG
- Contactless (card) PAYG
- Contactless (mobile) PAYG

Dunno why this is, but it definitely seems to be the case...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
I got a "Seek Assistance" error on one reader today while tapping out, but another worked okay. I'm not sure if that's a fluke or if I should be concerned.

Also, I wonder if the refund issue means that we should still recommend physical contactless cards/Oyster over AP for Americans when possible.
You can set up a tfl contactless account online and register the physical card. The system recognizes ApplePay (and I assume AndroidPay) as a contactless card and tracks it to the physical card you've registered. You can then apply for refunds online, which get credited back to the card. I got a couple of refunds that way on my last trip to the UK. Very easy to do.

It also will recognize different physical contactless cards with the same account number as separate cards. So my online account shows ApplePay, my physical card, and my wife's physical card as separate cards.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Possible. I might try to add the DAN from cardpeek when I get back to the US and see if it picks anything up.
You won't be able to add the DAN. I've tried - it fails to validate. There seems to be an issue with Chase Visa cards 'linking' to TfL. I've been in contact with TfL and they said they are looking into the issue.

A physical contactless card would likely be faster though.
I've noticed no discernible difference in speed between a contactless card v. Apple Pay

Originally Posted by stanj
You can set up a tfl contactless account online and register the physical card. The system recognizes ApplePay (and I assume AndroidPay) as a contactless card and tracks it to the physical card you've registered.
TfL can't seem to make the link to Chase Visa cards right now.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
I've noticed no discernible difference in speed between a contactless card v. Apple Pay
Not sure about TfL but generally contactless cards seem faster simply due to being able to start communicating with the terminal more quickly. There doesn't seem to be much time required between the checkmark showing up and the green light turning on, though.

Do other Visa cards link without problems?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Do US Visa cards work on tfl w/ ApplePay now? I tried several times in the past, but finally gave up and have only been using MC's.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Do US Visa cards work on tfl w/ ApplePay now? I tried several times in the past, but finally gave up and have only been using MC's.
Yes. They have added the required programming on Visa cards to work!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking about it some more, look at the time of your alert, 3am BST. Look at the time of the alert, 10PM EST. I've seen the chase alert be flaky(and not correctly realize timezones)... and say a 10PM charge is at 10AM.
Looks like last night's charge did show the authorization time and not the last tap time. I really wish Chase was more clear as to whether a particular charge happened in the AM or PM.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:49 am

You can set up a tfl contactless account online and register the physical card. The system recognizes ApplePay (and I assume AndroidPay) as a contactless card and tracks it to the physical card you've registered. You can then apply for refunds online, which get credited back to the card. I got a couple of refunds that way on my last trip to the UK. Very easy to do.

It also will recognize different physical contactless cards with the same account number as separate cards. So my online account shows ApplePay, my physical card, and my wife's physical card as separate cards.
Looks like the Chase Visa cards won't report Apple Pay separately to TFL. I'm having to send my card statement to TFL to get my refund in a GBP check, luckily I can cash GBP.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sintaku
Looks like the Chase Visa cards won't report Apple Pay separately to TFL. I'm having to send my card statement to TFL to get my refund in a GBP check, luckily I can cash GBP.
Weirdly, Chase Pay will show up on statements (vs. just the contactless symbol for other mobile wallet transactions). Guess it shows how much effort they're willing to put into it.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Do other Visa cards link without problems?
My Visa card from RBC in Canada worked without issue. Not sure if the issue here is US specific or Chase specific.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Guess it shows how much effort they're willing to put into it.
Yeah, I'm still annoyed that they refuse to allow their MC's to be set up in ApplePay.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:35 am

Weirdly, Chase Pay will show up on statements (vs. just the contactless symbol for other mobile wallet transactions). Guess it shows how much effort they're willing to put into it.
At least TFL is offering refunds. Imagine if they basically said no refunds if we can't see your trip, it would be easy money for them especially on foreign visitors who don't know much about the system.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ate dinner tonight at a place that uses Clover (I didn't think it was that popular in the UK, but there you go). The server even brought over the Clover Mobile for payment, too, and the receipt said "device verified" on it.

BTW, I think nearly every receipt I've managed to get so far this trip has some form of "device verified" on it. ^ Unfortunately, a significant number of places don't give you a receipt for contactless, so I can't 100% for sure say that every store supports CDCVM.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Skymiles
I ate dinner tonight at a place that uses Clover (I didn't think it was that popular in the UK, but there you go). The server even brought over the Clover Mobile for payment, too, and the receipt said "device verified" on it.

BTW, I think nearly every receipt I've managed to get so far this trip has some form of "device verified" on it. ^ Unfortunately, a significant number of places don't give you a receipt for contactless, so I can't 100% for sure say that every store supports CDCVM.
Clover is getting a strong foothold in the UK. At least I know the stations deployed in the UK are being used correctly. FD has been getting a lot stronger in international markets, the Australian market got the FD-130 we are all used to seeing, to replace aging Verifones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.