Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I saw Chase Pay in action at the Bux for the first time just now.
How does it even work??
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
How does it even work??
It's basically EMV contactless encoded in a QR code (with some modifications), at least when I had the app on my phone and decoded one it generated anyway.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
How does it even work??
tmiw gave more detail, but it's basically QR code to charge your credit card directly. They're supposed to scan it as Credit tender, but I'm guessing the problems at Starbucks stem from most cashiers assuming you're using a Starbucks Card and choosing that instead. The guy had to scan his phone like three times before it went through. Then again, it was the same barista on the till that gave me hassle with Apple Pay.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:45 am

tmiw gave more detail, but it's basically QR code to charge your credit card directly. They're supposed to scan it as Credit tender, but I'm guessing the problems at Starbucks stem from most cashiers assuming you're using a Starbucks Card and choosing that instead. The guy had to scan his phone like three times before it went through. Then again, it was the same barista on the till that gave me hassle with Apple Pay.
Hassle with Apple Pay??? They just have to hit card! Complain to Starbucks. You'll probably get some credit on your Starbucks card.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Hassle with Apple Pay??? They just have to hit card! Complain to Starbucks. You'll probably get some credit on your Starbucks card.
Apple Pay was released almost 3 years ago and cashiers still don't know how to instruct a customer/know how to initiate that type of transaction. You would think this training would happen after the merchant turns on NFC.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Then again, it was the same barista on the till that gave me hassle with Apple Pay.
No issues with Android Pay in San Jose, but I imagine cashiers are used to mobile payments around here. I've never seen Chase Pay in use in the wild, but I haven't been to a Best Buy in awhile, and, as you said, most people use a Starbucks Card when paying by phone. I could see the confusion as the cashier might assume anyone scanning a barcode with a phone is using a Starbucks Card.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat
It was a few months ago. Nowadays, about half of them ask "is that 'iPay' or whatever?" but I don't really have trouble. A bigger issue, honestly, is rewards refills, with almost every other barista denying them and giving attitude. Aside from the policy explicitly allowing me to "refill" even a Frappuccino with tea or filter, it doesn't make sense for them to discourage me from spending more. My ultimate solution was to start drinking cold brew or filter almost exclusively instead of lattes. I have better things to do with my time than complain for every store where I meet a clueless and rude barista, and I show that by not giving Starbucks as much money per order since they can't maintain their end of the deal consistently.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Apple Pay was released almost 3 years ago and cashiers still don't know how to instruct a customer/know how to initiate that type of transaction. You would think this training would happen after the merchant turns on NFC.
It's Starbucks. I don't expect them to give their store employees enough training; either they try to charge me for literally a splash of almondmilk or they make me pay full price to refill my coffee. I just say $x reload, scan my Sbux Card, say credit, and tap. It's easy to ignore their remarks on Apple Pay as long as it doesn't impede the transaction, because I quite frankly don't care enough.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Apr 25, 2017 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It was a few months ago. Nowadays, about half of them ask "is that 'iPay' or whatever?" but I don't really have trouble. A bigger issue, honestly, is rewards refills, with almost every other barista denying them and giving attitude. Aside from the policy explicitly allowing me to "refill" even a Frappuccino with tea or filter, it doesn't make sense for them to discourage me from spending more. My ultimate solution was to start drinking cold brew or filter almost exclusively instead of lattes. I have better things to do with my time than complain for every store where I meet a clueless and rude barista, and I show that by not giving Starbucks as much money per order since they can't maintain their end of the deal consistently.

It's Starbucks. I don't expect them to give their store employees enough training; either they try to charge me for literally a splash of almondmilk or they make me pay full price to refill my coffee. I just say $x reload, scan my Sbux Card, say credit, and tap. It's easy to ignore their remarks on Apple Pay as long as it doesn't impede the transaction, because I quite frankly don't care enough.
Eh, I just go to Peete's and they've had contactless forever.

Better coffee too.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Eh, I just go to Peete's and they've had contactless forever.

Better coffee too.
I'm not a huge fan of Peets. They're more expensive and I don't like their brewed coffee very much (it tastes like Panera's...blech).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Amongst US-issued cards, you can use a physical Amex or a physical/virtual MasterCard for contactless on TfL. Visa and virtual Amex will be rejected.
Now I realize I can add my Ally debit (which is a MC) to Apple Pay. Would that work with TfL? Also, how many transactions would a day generate? (One? Multiple?) I can only have 6 a month, and i'll probably use the ATM a couple times already.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:07 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Peets. They're more expensive and I don't like their brewed coffee very much (it tastes like Panera's...blech).
Everything about Panera bread is bleh. Avoid them and go to Boudin instead. Way better food and bread and the price is about the same.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Now I realize I can add my Ally debit (which is a MC) to Apple Pay. Would that work with TfL? Also, how many transactions would a day generate? (One? Multiple?) I can only have 6 a month, and i'll probably use the ATM a couple times already.
It would work. However, I would recommend just buying an Oyster (transit card) with your credit card and getting the remaining balance refunded if you wish.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Apr 25, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Went to a locally owned burger shop. He hands the terminal over for PINs, and contactless was no problem. Still not ideal, but better than them not knowing how to do it. They use the FD410 wireless terminal.

They also do debit.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm almost definitely sure using the physical contactless card results in faster transaction times than Apple Pay with AmEx now. Tried using Apple Pay at IKEA today and their FD130 took something like 5 seconds to start printing the receipt. (Haven't tried the physical card there yet.) Thoughts?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:53 pm

A new grocery store (Sprout Marketplace) opened recently nearby and despite having the contactless symbol on the terminal screen it's disabled and doesn't work

Normally it's the other way around - ShopRite accepts contactless but doesn't advertise the fact at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.