Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Any idea if there's Quick Chip or anything other than no CVM enabled?
It definitely uses some weird implementation of QuickChip.

The UI is the exact same one that Burger King uses. No customizations at all, just says “Verifone” at the top instead of a Chipotle logo. The idle screen has an NCR logo. It’s like they don’t even try compared to the others.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
It definitely uses some weird implementation of QuickChip.

The UI is the exact same one that Burger King uses. No customizations at all, just says “Verifone” at the top instead of a Chipotle logo. The idle screen has an NCR logo. It’s like they don’t even try compared to the others.
BTW, there's still no EMV or contactless at my local Chipotle as of last night, so it's probably still rolling out.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:14 pm

Kansas City has like no working contactless at the pump besides one unbranded Commander and Flex Pay IV readers location called The Station. I found a nice brand new Amoco station with Flex Pay IV chip and contactless readers. I expected ctls to work outside like it does locally at BP but it didn't. Inside is Commander with EMV contactless and of course ctls debit forces pin.. Phillips 66 with Commander and Flex Pay IV is the same way as BP outside in KC. Oh and 7-Eleven has contactless support as poor as Caseys General Store as Amex via Google Pay failed with card read error. Debit pin is forced via ctls at both. But at least Ikea allows pin bypass on debit contactless and didn't even ask on my WF debit card but asked on another banks via Google Pay but pressing green bypassed the pin.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Kansas City has like no working contactless at the pump besides one unbranded Commander and Flex Pay IV readers location called The Station. I found a nice brand new Amoco station with Flex Pay IV chip and contactless readers. I expected ctls to work outside like it does locally at BP but it didn't. Inside is Commander with EMV contactless and of course ctls debit forces pin.. Phillips 66 with Commander and Flex Pay IV is the same way as BP outside in KC. Oh and 7-Eleven has contactless support as poor as Caseys General Store as Amex via Google Pay failed with card read error. Debit pin is forced via ctls at both. But at least Ikea allows pin bypass on debit contactless and didn't even ask on my WF debit card but asked on another banks via Google Pay but pressing green bypassed the pin.
Speaking of gas stations, the area Pilot location still doesn't have working outside contactless. Additionally, the Lane/7000s inside didn't seem to immediately read my UNFCU contactless card (despite the display indicating I could tap at any time) until the cashier presumably pushed something on his end. It ran as EMV contactless, though, albeit with no PIN prompted on my card (possibly because I tapped when the total was known, or perhaps due to online PIN on contactless being disabled).

BTW, Pilot's the first place I'm aware of with a specific "Skip" button for the ZIP code prompt (as shown below). However, they're possibly doing BIN validation as it re-displayed the ZIP code prompt after my attempted skip. I imagine it may very well go through without ZIP entry if one were to use a non-US card.

Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Why when using the actual card for contactless does it sometimes take two taps to complete the transaction? I've noticed this with my CSR, but it never happens with Google Pay.

Last edited by Majuki; Sep 28, 2020 at 3:06 am
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Why when using the actual card for contactless does it sometimes take two taps to complete the transaction? I've noticed this with my CSR, but it never happens with Google Pay.
Cashiers assuming you're going to insert and not pushing the necessary buttons to fully enable contactless?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Cashiers assuming you're going to insert and not pushing the necessary buttons to fully enable contactless?
Even if the terminal is saying tap/insert/swipe?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Even if the terminal is saying tap/insert/swipe?
Unfortunately, that's not really a guarantee (although most of the time, you can actually tap when it says that you can).
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:59 pm

Hmm well Price Chopper in the Kansas City area has four families who run it. Two families use NCR and two use Toshiba. The two who use NCR support contactless but its still msd only with RXXX on the receipts. The two families who use Toshiba systems are problematic with contactless. A Queen location didn't work at all seems like they might be running old software or they didn't press the right button to enable contactless. I thought I saw the nfc dots but it they didn't show up when I went to that register. The other run by the McKeever family has contactless working but only with a contactless card as it would not read two different phones. Reference: H so its running newer software. Both have the same looking receipts too. Self checkout hardware is the new the Toshiba Self Checkout System 7 which I haven't seen before. Only says Please Insert or Slide Card: https://imgur.com/a/OIVgMiz before the card button is pressed then it changes to this: https://imgur.com/a/tmQwvdU I guess that is what happens when you don't have an IT team like Safeway/Albertsons to fix it. I'm going to see if I can contact Price Chopper and see if they can look into fixing it. Another Toshiba system closer to me had issues forcing you to tap twice but that is the only bug I've seen on that system. Harmons Grocery in Utah doesn't seem to have these issues at all though. Ugh Toshiba TCX Pay really still isn't too contactless friendly without first fixing all these issues. So its very very good that Kroger is waiting to fix any bugs before rolling it out to all locations.

Speaking of gas stations, the area Pilot location still doesn't have working outside contactless. Additionally, the Lane/7000s inside didn't seem to immediately read my UNFCU contactless card (despite the display indicating I could tap at any time) until the cashier presumably pushed something on his end. It ran as EMV contactless, though, albeit with no PIN prompted on my card (possibly because I tapped when the total was known, or perhaps due to online PIN on contactless being disabled).

BTW, Pilot's the first place I'm aware of with a specific "Skip" button for the ZIP code prompt (as shown below). However, they're possibly doing BIN validation as it re-displayed the ZIP code prompt after my attempted skip. I imagine it may very well go through without ZIP entry if one were to use a non-US card.
Well Pilot was supposed to have working contactless as the pump by now but it doesn't at all. I wonder if it worked at some point. The Lane/7000 seems to work really poorly as well it reads contactless very slowly and then forces pin on debit contactless. They use NCR Retalix for gas stations which is also used by Casey's General Store but with L5300s currently. Interesting that is has a skip on the zip code prompt on the pumps though.

Last edited by scibot; Sep 28, 2020 at 10:07 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:35 pm

I have been having lunch at a Taco Bell and the drive thru computer is broken. The staff has been taking peoples cards from the drive thru and tapping it!

at least they’re aware of tap.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I have been having lunch at a Taco Bell and the drive thru computer is broken. The staff has been taking peoples cards from the drive thru and tapping it!

at least they’re aware of tap.
My local Taco Bell said their VX805 pinpad had broke and they are inserting the cards on one of the inside registers. That is a bit odd that two different location in very different parts of the country have broken drive thru POS. So maybe it broke nationwide? Also no paying with contactless at the drive thru at this time.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
My local Taco Bell said their VX805 pinpad had broke and they are inserting the cards on one of the inside registers. That is a bit odd that two different location in very different parts of the country have broken drive thru POS. So maybe it broke nationwide? Also no paying with contactless at the drive thru at this time.
I'm thinking coincidence unless they're supposed to have replaced all of them with P400s by now and today was supposed be the shutoff date (which they apparently didn't tell every franchisee about).
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:16 pm

I'm thinking coincidence unless they're supposed to have replaced all of them with P400s by now and today was supposed be the shutoff date (which they apparently didn't tell every franchisee about).
What do you know, the one that did this for me had a lit up Vx805 but wasn’t using it.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:07 am

The one I went to still handed it out to me today, and it was broken in a different way: the screen was cracked. Contactless still worked, though. Perhaps Taco Bell HQ should invest in handles for the terminals as well.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
The one I went to still handed it out to me today, and it was broken in a different way: the screen was cracked. Contactless still worked, though. Perhaps Taco Bell HQ should invest in handles for the terminals as well.
Considering that PIN will likely never be required here, I suspect at least some chains might consider going for permanently outdoor-mounted contactless-only readers long-term (assuming not enough people are redirected to mobile/online ordering to make it moot), much like Jack in the Box did back in the day. That assumes a terminal or other vendor actually builds something that could be used that way, of course; many of the "outdoor" readers from the known names were designed to be used in conjunction with other outdoor hardware for e.g. ticket machines or gas pumps and may be more expensive than simply using a normal PIN pad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.