Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:28 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned previously, Cheesecake Factory now has QR codes at the bottom of the bill to pay (although not exactly the NFC definition of contactless). It takes you to a page hosted by OneDine. But, I was finally able to use Apple Pay there! (Also, I learned that there's a website called scanqr.io which would be helpful for Android devices)

Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
On Samsung devices, the camera app and browser both have QR readers built in.

My local Speedway was a cash/debit ARCO and converted to full credit. Now, they did one more conversion to add cash/credit pricing. So, I will likely not go to Speedway anymore. I can't believe they did the full conversion with new pricing signage then went back and changed the signage module again to add the price differentiators. (Well, looks like Speedway retail is going to get sold for yet another change in ownership)
PKCorey likes this.

Last edited by rasheed; Aug 2, 2020 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ateng
Not sure if this was mentioned previously, Cheesecake Factory now has QR codes at the bottom of the bill to pay (although not exactly the NFC definition of contactless). It takes you to a page hosted by OneDine. But, I was finally able to use Apple Pay there! (Also, I learned that there's a website called scanqr.io which would be helpful for Android devices)

The Cactus Club use the same system here in Canada, seems to work well.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by rasheed
On Samsung devices, the camera app and browser both have QR readers built in.

My local Speedway was a cash/debit ARCO and converted to full credit. Now, they did one more conversion to add cash/credit pricing. So, I will likely not go to Speedway anymore. I can't believe they did the full conversion with new pricing signage then went back and changed the signage module again to add the price differentiators. (Well, looks like Speedway retail is going to get sold for yet another change in ownership)
That is interesting and also very disappointing. So far the Speedway conversions in NorCal only do cash/credit pricing if the original occupant of the sites (that would be Nella Oil/Flyers who was in love with cash/credit pricing or a .35 debt fee and even successfully sued Visa for the ability to fee) had cash/credit pricing. There are actually 3 sites in Placer County which eliminated cash/credit pricing when they switched from Nella Oil/Flyers to Mobil by Tesoro yet some others nearby kept cash/credit pricing it as Mobil. For the other sites (the former USA sites) they do not do cash/credit pricing.

It seems Speedway and 7-Eleven treat California special with cash/credit pricing on gas, something they do not do in any other markets. But in both cases not all locations do it; there are still a lot of 7-Elevens without cash/credit gas pricing in California and the same goes for Speedway, the majority of sites do not do cash credit pricing (yet).
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by reclusive46
The Cactus Club use the same system here in Canada, seems to work well.
There is a local Greek restaurant that offers this too. The problem with this approach is it takes one to website where the customer has to enter the card information manually, so I wish it were seamless. I still think this is an improvement for a couple of reasons. 1) The customer retains control of the payment card at all times. 2) There's no tip adjust/signature slip. 3) On occasion, it can take some time to flag down the waitstaff to do the card handoff and wait to get the card and signature slips returned.

I imagine that there will be more of a migration to this in the US (or more use of the Ziosk style devices) rather than true pay at the table with portable credit card terminals.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:16 pm

A regional breakfast/brunch chain in PA/NJ also offers this
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diburning
They do allow pin bypass on inserted cards. As I've mentioned, the behavior with contactless is intentional, and I have no idea why.
My local Vons let me bypass PIN on contactless this afternoon, FWIW.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

BJ's Brewery has started to offer something similar. Not a bad way of paying at the table as long as there's wifi or mobile coverage.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
BJ's Brewery has started to offer something similar. Not a bad way of paying at the table as long as there's wifi or mobile coverage.
On one hand, at least there's pay at the table at all given how much the industry in general is suffering (and its previous resistance to doing it pre-pandemic). On the other, it's still unfortunate that pay at the table is only going to be a thing for smartphones.

BTW, Islands also did the QR code thing just before all the restaurants were made to close back in March. No Google Pay support on the NCR Aloha payment portal that appeared, though; not sure about Apple Pay but I suspect it wasn't there either.
scibot likes this.

Last edited by tmiw; Aug 3, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:27 pm

So it seems the LED on the contactless readers at the pump can burn out but contactless will still work regardless. I also found a Shell with Flex Pay IV with contactless readers and they had the sticker saying that they accepted contactless payments plus Apple & Google Pay but I tapped both a debit and credit card in Google Pay and it said Not Supported then Declined and that is so lame. On the other hand EG Group who bought up most of Kroger's C-Stores looks to be adding brand new Gilbarco pumps with Flex Pay IV with contactless readers and they work! I don't need to add a picture as we all know what it looks like. Interesting receipt since its attached to NCR Radiant system and it seems to list AVS for the zip code prompt. It looks like if you enter the zip code incorrectly it would decline.
PKCorey likes this.

Last edited by scibot; Aug 4, 2020 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:40 pm

Claiming that the street address matched on a fuel pump that only prompted for zip code is... interesting.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That didn't take long; the Taco Bell cashier working the drive through today inserted my card for me. Not sure if it was just that one cashier or if the location/company is going back to not handing the terminal out unless you ask to use Apple Pay or similar.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Claiming that the street address matched on a fuel pump that only prompted for zip code is... interesting.
Maybe it grabbed address info from a loyalty program of some sort?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That didn't take long; the Taco Bell cashier working the drive through today inserted my card for me. Not sure if it was just that one cashier or if the location/company is going back to not handing the terminal out unless you ask to use Apple Pay or similar.
Maybe it grabbed address info from a loyalty program of some sort?
My local Taco Bell still does not touch your card so they hand the VX805 pinpad out the drive thru and you insert your card or tap your card/phone. So they do what they are supposed to do. Since KFC has the same owners they should be doing the same at the drive thru? I haven't visited a KFC to check on that.
Yes I did use the Kroger loyalty program and saved .03 cents a gallon. So there is no branding on the pump itself just the Kwik Shop logo on the top of the pump which is used at all former Kroger C-Stores. I'm glad that Kroger sold them otherwise they wouldn't have contactless at the pump or inside at all. EG Group seems to be supportive of contactless payments inside for awhile and now outside at the pump. This Kwik Shop always had Gilbarco pumps but many have newer Wayne pumps including my local one. Now it should be interesting to see what they do with their Wayne pumps.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Since KFC has the same owners they should be doing the same at the drive thru? I haven't visited a KFC to check on that.
As I mentioned previously, the location by my house most definitely handed the terminal out. YMMV on others, though.

I'm glad that Kroger sold them otherwise they wouldn't have contactless at the pump or inside at all.
Considering that QFC apparently has contactless now, I suspect the gas stations will get contactless inside eventually. I'm not so sure about outside, however (for instance, Vons Fuel here still doesn't have contactless readers outside despite reports of at least one other Safeway-owned station getting them).
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
My local Taco Bell still does not touch your card so they hand the VX805 pinpad out the drive thru and you insert your card or tap your card/phone. So they do what they are supposed to do. Since KFC has the same owners they should be doing the same at the drive thru? I haven't visited a KFC to check on that.
Yes I did use the Kroger loyalty program and saved .03 cents a gallon. So there is no branding on the pump itself just the Kwik Shop logo on the top of the pump which is used at all former Kroger C-Stores. I'm glad that Kroger sold them otherwise they wouldn't have contactless at the pump or inside at all. EG Group seems to be supportive of contactless payments inside for awhile and now outside at the pump. This Kwik Shop always had Gilbarco pumps but many have newer Wayne pumps including my local one. Now it should be interesting to see what they do with their Wayne pumps.
Does the EMV work on the EG Group pump?

I have 5 EG Group Quik Stops with 20 year old Gilbarco Advantage pumps in my area... no upgrades to anything; there are 3 that were newer and have 10 year old Wayne pumps and those are actually EMV ready as Kroger did the EMV hardware upgrade to those pumps before selling the stations off, but of course never turned it on.

The AVS message has been on the receipts ever since they switched to the system that does NFC/EMV inside at the locations that have the zip code prompt on which isn't all of them. Different cards have a different message for that but all the same weird language about address not match, etc. At the locations that do not have zip code prompt turned on, there is an odd "U" in the reference number. Sometimes at the locations that do not have a zip code prompt the AVS line prints and says "AVS: U (Unavailable)."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.