Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
At least Home Depot and Lowe's too. Although in the case of Home Depot, you can apparently add your CC to your online profile and see all of your in-store purchases, which might preclude use of contactless if they want that to continue working.
Every time I go to Lowe's, I question why they have these relatively new, large screen readers... But no contactless enabled.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Let's hope gas station owners get ripped by fraud charge backs... It's the only way they'll listen. Gas station owners are similar to restaurant owners... They cry poverty over everything.
To be fair, gas stations do run on pretty slim margins, just like restaurants. Most in fact make the vast majority of their profits on inside purchases rather than fuel. The fact that a majority supposedly still plan on doing EMV and contactless outside despite all that should be something that's cheered.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Every time I go to Lowe's, I question why they have these relatively new, large screen readers... But no contactless enabled.
The MX925 isn't that new. In fact, a lot of places installed them (and the smaller MX915) just as Verifone was releasing newer terminals in other countries.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:13 pm

Might be hard to come up with, but is there any relatively comprehensive, one go-to place for info on which gas stations have EMV/EMV Contactless outside or what their timeframe might be?

Also, any news on Costco? My local Costco still has these non-working contactless on their pumps from Verifone.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barciur
Might be hard to come up with, but is there any relatively comprehensive, one go-to place for info on which gas stations have EMV/EMV Contactless outside or what their timeframe might be?

Also, any news on Costco? My local Costco still has these non-working contactless on their pumps from Verifone.
There's this which talks about EMV readiness from a POS/acquirer perspective. However, that doesn't imply that all of a particular chain will get it immediately after its respective row turns green.

BTW, there's a specific checkbox and map filter on the EMV map for pay at the pump too.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Barciur
A bit random but I am headed to Puerto Rico in February and was wondering if anybody has experience with contactless there - is it less or more common than in the mainland? I read that there were issues as no local banks were supporting Apple Pay so I would imagine it could be worse, but who knows. Just wanted to know if anybody knows what to expect.
Burger King - Visa/MC only. No contactless
Walgreens - Setup appears to be identical to the ones in the states, BUT routing must be different. Pin Pad declined my Amex running the chip with a message saying to tap the card instead. I tapped the Amex and it went through just fine, so contactless is forced.
Supermercado Selectos Vistamar - Visa/MC only. Tapped my Chase card and the pin pad showed two buttons on the screen, SIGN or PIN. I picked SIGN and was asked to sign for the contactless purchase.
Barciur likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently the NRF is on an anti-EMV kick again. Of particular note in that press release:

EMVCo adopted expensive, complex and difficult-to-implement technology such as near-field communication because it prevents competitors from entering the mobile payments market.
Now, having to have separate contactless kernels for each payment network is a bit problematic, but a whole bunch of merchants have been able to implement EMV contactless despite that. I don't think this will end up going anywhere but who knows?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smart & Final did EMV contactless with a debit MC today. Unfortunately, it appears that entering the PIN will cause it to decline; just pushing Enter at the prompt works, however.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Apparently the NRF is on an anti-EMV kick again. Of particular note in that press release:

Now, having to have separate contactless kernels for each payment network is a bit problematic, but a whole bunch of merchants have been able to implement EMV contactless despite that. I don't think this will end up going anywhere but who knows?
I wonder who is even a member of the NRF? Maybe it is Wal Mart and Kroger and the restaurant industry? It looks like they represent a number of smaller trade groups.

Looks like as of 2012, Best Buy, CVS, and Dollar General left the NRF. https://www.rollcall.com/news/Nation...-216456-1.html

In the grocery industry I estimate 85% of grocery stores in the US at this point support NFC. It is really only Kroger and Publix that don't; all the small regionals do as do many of the single store independents and many of them are on EMV Contactless at this point too.

In the gas industry it is the same thing more and more pumps are getting NFC, and almost all of them support NFC in store.

I don't even get what the NRF person is saying that people's cards are being stolen. Of course they are being stolen. Many merchants do not support EMV yet, notably gas pumps and restaurants. Cards are being taken away from consumers out of sight. Internet transactions continue to be a point where card information is being stolen. Frankly what the networks should do is cut off swipe transactions entirely, either you support EMV or you don't take cards. Then they can focus on figuring out how to get the online fraud situation and data breach situation to stop because that is what is causing so many "people's cards to get stolen" and I am sorry NRF but those issues are out of the scope of EMV.

About the only thing I agree with the NRF person on is that the Chip and Pin should have been done here. But since the card networks are covering fraud costs and lost and stolen in person transactions are so rare at this point due to all of the fraud algorithms and that there are good cameras everywhere in most of these major merchants (someone has to be pretty bold to go use a stolen card at this point with all the cameras in the major merchants) the networks made the decision that it was not cost effective to implement that. I am sure if Chip and Pin had been implemented the NRF would be complaining about customer facing equipment being too expensive or some other issue, "oh it is too hard for people to use their cards now."
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Skymiles
Well I’m still here in LA and here are my observations on this great city.
  • Paid for parking at park and ride lots for Metro Silver line and they have a very interesting parking setup. You walk up to a parking terminal and first it asks you to tap a TAP card on the contactless reader. Then it asks for a license plate. Then it asks for payment, which I used contactless and it worked fine. These are EMV enabled too. Unfortunately the tap machines or tap system itself does not take EMV as of yet. I read it is something they’re enabling.
  • universal studios had Apple Pay and EMV everywhere except for one or two sit in restaurants that used MX860s, but the rest of the park had MX915. everywhere. No issues only bringing your phone here. The exception would be any photo kiosks which are magstripe only.
  • Gas stations I use the app to get gas. Apple Pay is no issue inside.
  • plenty of mom and pops with Apple Pay here. Everyone seemed well versed and trained with turning the terminal toward me at ones with this type of setup. Granted I use a PHONE. If I tried to tap a card I’m sure it would end up differently. I’ve noticed merchants have no issues with phones but cards they are still reluctant.
  • I’ll continue to report.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to a Chevron with Verifone software running on their MX915s this morning. The good news is that it looks like they're doing EMV contactless on those now. The bad news is that physical contactless MC seems to be declined by the issuer (vs. immediately by the terminal). Per cardpeek, they seem to use $0.00 for the cryptogram amount on EMV contactless if you tap before the transaction's totaled and the full amount otherwise. Contactless outside is also still MSD only (along with no contact EMV).

Additionally, Dunkin' Donuts is still MSD only on non-Visa.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I don't even get what the NRF person is saying that people's cards are being stolen. Of course they are being stolen. Many merchants do not support EMV yet, notably gas pumps and restaurants. Cards are being taken away from consumers out of sight. Internet transactions continue to be a point where card information is being stolen. Frankly what the networks should do is cut off swipe transactions entirely, either you support EMV or you don't take cards. Then they can focus on figuring out how to get the online fraud situation and data breach situation to stop because that is what is causing so many "people's cards to get stolen" and I am sorry NRF but those issues are out of the scope of EMV.
Actually, for day to day stuff not involving table service restaurants or gas, I find that EMV is nearly 100%. In fact, Visa supposedly claims that 80% of merchant locations do it now, which might be close to accurate. Even gas would probably be 100% if I paid inside instead of at the pump. The big issues are:
  • Fallback still seems to be way too easy. I've heard of terminals that allow it after one "failed" insert, for instance.
  • Customer accessibility of terminals (though OTOH, given that we're chip and signature, maybe we should be pleasantly surprised that the accessibility problem isn't worse.

About the only thing I agree with the NRF person on is that the Chip and Pin should have been done here. But since the card networks are covering fraud costs and lost and stolen in person transactions are so rare at this point due to all of the fraud algorithms and that there are good cameras everywhere in most of these major merchants (someone has to be pretty bold to go use a stolen card at this point with all the cameras in the major merchants) the networks made the decision that it was not cost effective to implement that. I am sure if Chip and Pin had been implemented the NRF would be complaining about customer facing equipment being too expensive or some other issue, "oh it is too hard for people to use their cards now."
I feel like this position is only so that they can route debit transactions over non-Visa/MC without customers knowing. Prior to Quick Chip, for example, a lot of places would waive PIN on PIN preferring credit cards for smaller purchases (but still ask for PIN with US-issued debit cards no matter what). If it was really about security, PIN wouldn't be waived at all regardless of card type. And stores with their own co-branded cards would work with their issuer partners to make them PIN preferring, too.

Also, they should be blaming issuers--not the networks--for the decision to go with signature. If it was really a network decision, terminals likely wouldn't be allowed to support PIN at all (not to mention that the few issuers that do PIN preferring cards wouldn't have been allowed to).
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Well I’m still here in LA and here are my observations on this great city.
  • Paid for parking at park and ride lots for Metro Silver line and they have a very interesting parking setup. You walk up to a parking terminal and first it asks you to tap a TAP card on the contactless reader. Then it asks for a license plate. Then it asks for payment, which I used contactless and it worked fine. These are EMV enabled too. Unfortunately the tap machines or tap system itself does not take EMV as of yet. I read it is something they’re enabling.
  • universal studios had Apple Pay and EMV everywhere except for one or two sit in restaurants that used MX860s, but the rest of the park had MX915. everywhere. No issues only bringing your phone here. The exception would be any photo kiosks which are magstripe only.
  • Gas stations I use the app to get gas. Apple Pay is no issue inside.
  • plenty of mom and pops with Apple Pay here. Everyone seemed well versed and trained with turning the terminal toward me at ones with this type of setup. Granted I use a PHONE. If I tried to tap a card I’m sure it would end up differently. I’ve noticed merchants have no issues with phones but cards they are still reluctant.
  • I’ll continue to report.
On that note, Costco apparently increased the number of Costco Pay keyfob supporting gas stations in Southern California (still none in San Diego County, though). It also looks like the location in Orange County I visited didn't actually support using it, just picking one up--which seems weird to me. I'm still curious to see what error message spits out when one tries to tap their phone or Costco credit card as per reddit neither of those work.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I just had a frustrating experience this weekend using Google Pay at ticket kiosks for the LIRR at Jamaica Station. I got off the Air Train and tried to use the kiosks to get my tickets but the screen read "Declined by your bank". I tried another card/different bank in my Google Pay wallet but got the same message. I tried another machine and got the same messages. I ended up successfully using a (physical) card that just had been rejected contactlessly... I didn't get a chance to use OMNY on the subway to see if that would be rejected as well. I used contactless successfully just a few minutes prior so I don't know why the charge would be rejected. I didn't have a contactless card with me to try that.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:04 pm

So, I think this line that is being spread here about retailers being unable to track purchases made via Contactless is false.

I made a dummy purchase yesterday at Target with Contactless (did not use loyalty card). I went to return it today, without presenting the paper receipt. I presented my card. For receipt look up, the tap/insert/swipe/scan screen came up just like when you pay. I tapped my card there before they started the refund. They were able to retrieve my transaction, scan the item (which was a different price yesterday than it would have been today, which validates that they really did pull up my transaction through the tap) and issue me the refund and automatically credit the card (I did not have to tap it again at the end of the refund).
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I think this line that is being spread here about retailers being unable to track purchases made via Contactless is false.

I made a dummy purchase yesterday at Target with Contactless (did not use loyalty card). I went to return it today, without presenting the paper receipt. I presented my card. For receipt look up, the tap/insert/swipe/scan screen came up just like when you pay. I tapped my card there before they started the refund. They were able to retrieve my transaction, scan the item (which was a different price yesterday than it would have been today, which validates that they really did pull up my transaction through the tap) and issue me the refund and automatically credit the card (I did not have to tap it again at the end of the refund).
I can see it being problematic if your Apple/Google Pay card has to be reprovisioned before your return for whatever reason (fraud, wanting to ensure fDDA was supported for a future London trip, etc.) How would that be handled if there's no receipt?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:18 am

I can see it being problematic if your Apple/Google Pay card has to be reprovisioned before your return for whatever reason (fraud, wanting to ensure fDDA was supported for a future London trip, etc.) How would that be handled if there's no receipt?
I don't think they would be able to do a receipt look up if your card number was changed. Same as if your physical card number got changed and you were reissued a new card number for some reason... the receipt look up would not work (unless you brought back the dead card) and you'd need your original receipt. But that is no different than how receipt look up has worked for the past 15 years retailers have been offering it. It has nothing to do with Contactless or not.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about Contactless. One can't help but wonder if some of this misinformation is part of why retailers like Wal Mart and Kroger are not implementing it despite having systems fully able to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.