Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Did Circle K unbranded ever get EMV contactless inside as most Radiant stations already have.
MSD only. No EMV info on receipt + I got a debit/credit/EBT prompt on the MX915 after tapping (despite tapping a CC).
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
US AMEX Corporate Cards are contactless now. Corporate Platinum is metal too.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:22 pm

Total Wine finally added contactless support (Google Pay and Apple Pay logos are even on the doors now). It does support EMV contactless.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Total Wine finally added contactless support (Google Pay and Apple Pay logos are even on the doors now). It does support EMV contactless.
They use MX925s correct as back in June and down in Texas contactless was still not enabled. I'm glad to see many of the places that had EMV but not contactless get EMV contactless support.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by D582
US AMEX Corporate Cards are contactless now. Corporate Platinum is metal too.
I wonder if the corporate card refresh removes the PIN in exchange for contactless?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A new location of the fish restaurant that I mentioned before opened by my house. Same setup as before (VX805 with some tablet based POS). Unfortunately, MC contactless cards seem to cause a "no card response use chip reader" error. Online PIN is also not supported when inserting (though honestly, I don't expect many places that don't do debit to support that). Visa contactless did work at another location before, so there's that.

Also, I went back to Circle K and the dots didn't appear again. I wonder if they just happen to be running transactions on a broken MX915 most of the time and that one time I managed to use contactless inside was the one where they used the non-broken one. AFAIK there's no difference between pushing debit and credit on the cashier's end anymore.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PhX1Guy
I wonder if the corporate card refresh removes the PIN in exchange for contactless?
PIN is still there
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
You may need to re-add your card to Apple Pay as well since cards are provisioned as supporting EMV contactless are (mostly) on add.
did that and my next Apple Pay purchase on same card at Wegmans also showed as EMV contactless. Receipt even says Verified by PIN
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
did that and my next Apple Pay purchase on same card at Wegmans also showed as EMV contactless. Receipt even says Verified by PIN
I see the same Verified by PIN message when I use Apple Pay with Amex at Sprouts.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Samsung Pay and transit

While those of us outside the three pilot cities wait for contactless Bank of America cards, I noticed this new feature today. Anyone know exactly how it works - what makes it different from regular tapping?

Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I see the same Verified by PIN message when I use Apple Pay with Amex at Sprouts.
Weirdly enough, not with Visa. Though maybe that's only if the purchase is large enough (despite it seemingly showing up on other cards regardless of the amount).

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
While those of us outside the three pilot cities wait for contactless Bank of America cards, I noticed this new feature today. Anyone know exactly how it works - what makes it different from regular tapping?
My guess is that this is Samsung's implementation of Express Transit.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
PIN is still there
Online PIN preferring on contactless too? Or just when inserting?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
H Mart (Pacific Northwest) seems to have tap-wait-tap again as a deliberate feature? Doesn't seem to a glitch at all - sorry I have no pics. Screen said something along the lines of "Stand by to tap again".
To add to the complexity that is Hmart PNW, I stopped by a brand new location in downtown Seattle and they use a completely different terminal (Pax px7) and processor (Fides Bankcard). I tapped (once!) a MC and it appears to be MSD contactless rather than EMV contactless at the other locations where you have to tap twice with the MX915s. Perhaps they plan on migrating all stores to this setup?

Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:58 pm

My local Wegmans allows you to tap before total is rung up and does not show EMV contactless at all. I assume if it was EMV contactless you couldn't tap beforehand - or am I wrong on that one? I only tried AmEx and Visa.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barciur
I assume if it was EMV contactless you couldn't tap beforehand - or am I wrong on that one? I only tried AmEx and Visa.
EMV contactless doesn't preclude being able to tap beforehand. Target and Sprouts let you do it, after all.

Speaking of Target, it seems that there's no CVM waiver at all for contactless, even if you total the transaction first. Of course, since signature's waived and most people are tapping phones anyway, this probably doesn't impact many people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.