Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (cards, stickers or NFC smartphones)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (cards, stickers or NFC smartphones)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 19, 19, 12:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: storewanderer
Wiki Link
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 12, 19, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Also, it doesn't appear that larger Costco purchases with Apple/Google Pay indicate that CDCVM's used. Could they just be running every Visa contactless purchase without CVM? (Maybe I can try at the food court once I get my replacement UNFCU credit card to see if PIN comes up.)
Old Oct 13, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Interesting. I wonder if it'll ever be a thing in the US. (A fair number of merchants still seem distrusting of chip here--as evidenced by comments in the other thread about PIN preferring cards still needing ZIP code at gas pumps--so I'm not sure.)
RNO Airport Parking allows tap in and tap out. I've used it multiple times since they installed it over the summer. Works great. Appears to be foreign software based on some of the spelling on the messages on the screen.

Beyond American Express at Speedway I have yet to see any gas pump on EMV require a zip code. Speedway doesn't zip code any other card type and Safeway and Kroger don't zip code any EMV transaction (zip code prompt comes back if the transaction falls back and processes as swipe). Speedway does not even appear to allow Fallback on its pumps, you have to go inside if the Chip doesn't process. That is probably how it should be.

Those merchants that require zip code for Chip cards never should have gotten past EMV Certification. Circle K and wanting a zip code for a .69 fountain drink with a Chip card is probably the absolute most annoying of all. I really think it is some processor pushing it, not the merchants per se. Some processor trying to reduce lost and stolen fraud costs.

Last edited by storewanderer; Oct 13, 19 at 2:24 am
Old Oct 13, 19, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding Waffle House, this is what their setup apparently looks like now (not mine, someone else posted it on another forum). I can't find anything on NCR's website about it, though, which makes me think the card reader portion is from a third party. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
Beyond American Express at Speedway I have yet to see any gas pump on EMV require a zip code. Speedway doesn't zip code any other card type and Safeway and Kroger don't zip code any EMV transaction (zip code prompt comes back if the transaction falls back and processes as swipe). Speedway does not even appear to allow Fallback on its pumps, you have to go inside if the Chip doesn't process. That is probably how it should be.
MAPCO seems to require ZIP code per this post, at least with Visa. No idea about any other networks.

Those merchants that require zip code for Chip cards never should have gotten past EMV Certification. Circle K and wanting a zip code for a .69 fountain drink with a Chip card is probably the absolute most annoying of all. I really think it is some processor pushing it, not the merchants per se. Some processor trying to reduce lost and stolen fraud costs.
Which would be weird because that liability shift only comes into play for MC/Discover/Amex (Visa is >50% of all cards in the US) and only for PIN preferring cards (almost no consumer/small business US issued Discover or AmEx prefer PIN and it's not exactly common for MC credit either; PIN preference for MC debit is a bit more common but I'm not sure by how much).

Anyway, it bothers me more that ZIP is asked inside at Circle K; I can almost understand it continuing at the pump post-EMV due to PIN on credit not being common, though it means that merchant education is still lacking and should be improved (or at the very least, the prompt should be disabled for non-US cards and/or if the card actually prefers PIN).
Old Oct 13, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Regarding Waffle House, this is what their setup apparently looks like now (not mine, someone else posted it on another forum). I can't find anything on NCR's website about it, though, which makes me think the card reader portion is from a third party. Any ideas?

MAPCO seems to require ZIP code per this post, at least with Visa. No idea about any other networks.

Which would be weird because that liability shift only comes into play for MC/Discover/Amex (Visa is >50% of all cards in the US) and only for PIN preferring cards (almost no consumer/small business US issued Discover or AmEx prefer PIN and it's not exactly common for MC credit either; PIN preference for MC debit is a bit more common but I'm not sure by how much).

Anyway, it bothers me more that ZIP is asked inside at Circle K; I can almost understand it continuing at the pump post-EMV due to PIN on credit not being common, though it means that merchant education is still lacking and should be improved (or at the very least, the prompt should be disabled for non-US cards and/or if the card actually prefers PIN).
That UI looks like it’s NCR silver, and that card reader looks like the new SwipeSimple readers in a special encasement.

NCR has a partnership with SwipeSimple. And they just bought a company out called JetPay.

Though the peculiar thing is I’ve never seen such an NCR silver setup, considering their “flagship” Silver setup is the NCR Quantum still. But maybe this product is yet to be announced and Waffle House has early access. Who knows.
Old Oct 13, 19, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015 View Post
That UI looks like it’s NCR silver, and that card reader looks like the new SwipeSimple readers in a special encasement.

NCR has a partnership with SwipeSimple. And they just bought a company out called JetPay.

Though the peculiar thing is I’ve never seen such an NCR silver setup, considering their “flagship” Silver setup is the NCR Quantum still. But maybe this product is yet to be announced and Waffle House has early access. Who knows.
It doesn't seem to match up exactly with stuff SwipeSimple has, but eh, at least they added stuff for EMV/NFC.

Speaking of restaurants, Souplanation (Sweet Tomatoes outside of Southern California, apparently) seems to have gotten new PAX devices within the last two weeks. Presumably everything works but I couldn't test since I wasn't paying today:

Just wish they didn't do the "need to push button to enable contactless" thing, but at least the cashiers ask "cash or card" after ringing people up.
Old Oct 13, 19, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot View Post
Ikea just got ctls three weeks ago and it uses the us debit AID allows pin bypass but oddly only asked for pin at the main registers and not at the food area. They still use the Android Pay logo on the pinpad oddly.
It didn't ask at the main register today for me with MC debit. They may be routing based on the purchase amount? (< $10)
Old Oct 13, 19, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Smart & Final uses the global AID for Visa debit cards, so there's another place one can test online PIN and contactless (besides Target).

Also, an AMC I walked by earlier finally got EMV. Other locations may have as well. I can't comment on Quick Chip or EMV/MSD contactless yet.
Old Oct 14, 19, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Second Tap Required

H Mart (Pacific Northwest) seems to have tap-wait-tap again as a deliberate feature? Doesn't seem to a glitch at all - sorry I have no pics. Screen said something along the lines of "Stand by to tap again".
Old Oct 14, 19, 12:29 pm

Feature? Meh, probably not. My suspicion is that the Canadian payment processor they use focused on quick chip and neglected to implement quick contactless, thus needing the POS to send the total amount to the terminal after the first tap. I have a previous post with pics if anyone needs a reference (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30770221-post5628.html).
Old Oct 14, 19, 5:11 pm

Wegmans appears to have enabled some level of EMV contactless. I usually use Apple Pay but tapped a physical AMEX card today. Receipt shows AID and some of the other EMV data. Last week, this data didn’t show when I used the same card in Apple Pay. Will try the phone again next visit.
Old Oct 14, 19, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC View Post
Wegmans appears to have enabled some level of EMV contactless. I usually use Apple Pay but tapped a physical AMEX card today. Receipt shows AID and some of the other EMV data. Last week, this data didn’t show when I used the same card in Apple Pay. Will try the phone again next visit.
You may need to re-add your card to Apple Pay as well since cards are provisioned as supporting EMV contactless are (mostly) on add.
Old Oct 15, 19, 12:57 am

It didn't ask at the main register today for me with MC debit. They may be routing based on the purchase amount? (< $10)
I spent like $20 in the main store so that sounds like what happened and a lot less at the food court.

Originally Posted by ateng View Post
Feature? Meh, probably not. My suspicion is that the Canadian payment processor they use focused on quick chip and neglected to implement quick contactless, thus needing the POS to send the total amount to the terminal after the first tap. I have a previous post with pics if anyone needs a reference (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30770221-post5628.html).
Well if they just sent the amount to the MX915 first then it wouldn't ask for a second tap right? I'm sure they can do that if the cashier wanted. Also this UI is the same as H&M which was the first place in the USA where I ever saw EMV contactless about a few years ago.
Old Oct 15, 19, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spent like $20 in the main store so that sounds like what happened and a lot less at the food court.
I got the notification email from my local CU a few hours ago, so I'm guessing they routed over MC. While they tend to email almost immediately if a transaction's routed over debit, the determination's made complicated by the fact that the purchase was on Sunday.

Well if they just sent the amount to the MX915 first then it wouldn't ask for a second tap right? I'm sure they can do that if the cashier wanted. Also this UI is the same as H&M which was the first place in the USA where I ever saw EMV contactless about a few years ago.
Quick Chip/Contactless, at its core, is simply assuming a placeholder amount (if pre-insert/tap is being allowed) and pretending that the network connection to the acquirer is down. There's no reason why they couldn't have done what they're doing for insert transactions.
Old Oct 15, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Circle K and wanting a zip code for a .69 fountain drink with a Chip card is probably the absolute most annoying of all.
Know what's even more annoying than that? ZIP code for contactless, even inside.

(OTOH, at least my local Circle K finally got contactless fixed.)
Old Oct 15, 19, 12:33 pm

Know what's even more annoying than that? ZIP code for contactless, even inside.

(OTOH, at least my local Circle K finally got contactless fixed.)
While Phillips 66+Circle K which uses P66 Commander never asks for a zip, but its not working at the pumps still. Did Circle K unbranded ever get EMV contactless inside as most Radiant stations already have.

Search this Thread