Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
I just saw a customer try to do a mobile payment. The cashier said they have received the equipment, but it hasn't been set up yet. It's good to know that it's coming though!
I hope they insist that the terminal's screwed into the counter facing the customer. Based on the comments from OP in that reddit thread, I suspect that a fair number will otherwise keep it on the cashier's side of the counter to keep their throughput numbers up--even once EMV's turned on.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the US is starting to roll out contactless cards just in time, at least for those planning on going to the UK soon:

Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
I hope they insist that the terminal's screwed into the counter facing the customer. Based on the comments from OP in that reddit thread, I suspect that a fair number will otherwise keep it on the cashier's side of the counter to keep their throughput numbers up--even once EMV's turned on.
So, Raising Canes in AZ and NV is now corporate owned (not sure what happened to the franchisee who in the past loved to require ID for $4 transactions, then after I reported them stopped requiring ID but went back to requiring signatures for all transactions even in the drive through, and always acted so gung ho about being their largest fastest growing franchisee the past few years, maybe they grew it enough it was time to move on). They are ripping out what is mostly 1-3 year old Micros POS and installing NCR POS. The good news is these NCR POS have pinpad. The bad news is first they are swipe only and second they are cashier facing. The cashier let me use the pinpad when I tried to pay with my phone, but when I saw the only option after she totaled my order and activated it was "please slide card" I knew it was bad news. Tap never came alive so I ended up swiping.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
So, Raising Canes in AZ and NV is now corporate owned (not sure what happened to the franchisee who in the past loved to require ID for $4 transactions, then after I reported them stopped requiring ID but went back to requiring signatures for all transactions even in the drive through, and always acted so gung ho about being their largest fastest growing franchisee the past few years, maybe they grew it enough it was time to move on). They are ripping out what is mostly 1-3 year old Micros POS and installing NCR POS. The good news is these NCR POS have pinpad. The bad news is first they are swipe only and second they are cashier facing. The cashier let me use the pinpad when I tried to pay with my phone, but when I saw the only option after she totaled my order and activated it was "please slide card" I knew it was bad news. Tap never came alive so I ended up swiping.
I'm presuming the Santee, CA location is still corporate owned, so it's weird that they'd go NCR elsewhere when the former switched to Ingenico terminals with FreedomPay software despite initially opening with NCR (albeit the newer Lane series and not the iPP ones commonly used at other merchants). No EMV or contactless at that one either, which makes me wonder if they're explicitly keeping the former disabled given that FreedomPay stuff seems to have at least EMV turned on more often than not.

Anyway, another location is going to open near me as soon as they finish building it (they tore down the former restaurant to make room for it), so it should be interesting to see what system that one ends up with.

BTW I'm pretty sure when the Santee one had NCR, contactless was in fact turned on, just the terminal positioning made it difficult to use. They might very well be one of the ones bitten by Visa's EMV contactless mandate, too.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forget if I mentioned this before but the city of San Diego has two types of parking meters. This is the one that's the most common (and which does the deferred authorization behavior I've talked about before):

There are also these, which are less common and definitely do not support contactless (or likely EMV either):

However, it looks like the city's finally updating the latter to support contactless. I saw a few of these today:

Unfortunately I'm not sure if contactless or EMV are enabled with the upgraded "put receipt on dash" type yet. It might be a bit before I end up finding out for sure.

BTW, I think the Port of San Diego meters still don't support contactless despite looking like the first photo (without the logos). Those are mainly around the convention center and Seaport Village, though, so they're easily avoided.

Oh, and speaking of parking meters, the ones at my local mall definitely support EMV contactless but not contact EMV (confirmed on multiple occasions with various cards). Those are the only ones I know of that do that; I was thinking that regular vending machine readers with only swipe/contactless would ultimately do that as well, but that's yet to occur with the ones I've seen around here.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:47 pm

Harbor Freight Tools now accepts EMV contactless and it shows Tap on the screen a new addition and before Visa would not work and ask to insert card. My local Murphy's Express now has contactless readers at half the pump the contractor was supposed to do all of them in the same day and it didn't happen but contactless is disabled. It seems they are adding it chainwide as someone else posted a picture of them. No contactless is enabled inside either but I'd imagine its coming soon.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I read elsewhere that someone was supposedly able to use contactless at Waffle House. Anyone know what they're using?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:50 am

Samsung Pay got an update to support transit payments without authentication.

I used it yesterday with OMNY and the response tine was about 1 or 1 1/2 seconds.

Has anyone else used Samsung Pay transit, and how does it compare to Apple Pay transit?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I used NFC/contactless for the first time at a gas pump on Monday - an Arco station near LAS. The pumps looked as old as the hills, but everything worked flawlessly.

I don't understand why this has been so slow - Costco's stations have had NFC readers for at least a year now as well as a number of Shell stations in the area, and yet none of them actually work yet.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
I used NFC/contactless for the first time at a gas pump on Monday - an Arco station near LAS. The pumps looked as old as the hills, but everything worked flawlessly.

I don't understand why this has been so slow - Costco's stations have had NFC readers for at least a year now as well as a number of Shell stations in the area, and yet none of them actually work yet.
They may be focused on getting EMV working before next year. After all, there's no change to merchant liability if contactless gets turned on before chip.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Majuki
I went back to Great Clips for the first time in about a month. Contactless was now enabled, and I didn't have to sign. The contactless symbol did appear on the display as well.
Chuckle... my local Great Clips doesn't even accept chip yet. I think it's the only place where I still have to swipe.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Chuckle... my local Great Clips doesn't even accept chip yet. I think it's the only place where I still have to swipe.
My local great clips uses an iPad Point of Sale system, with Ingenico iSC250s facing the customer. Chip and Contactless are enabled, and it was awesome. I got my haircut and paid with Apple Pay. Though they could not still get my name fixed in my account.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Sprouts no longer allows PIN bypass on (at least MC) debit with contactless. The UI flow now looks like the following:
  1. Tap card/device.
  2. Answer cash back prompt (Y/N buttons).
  3. If No, enter PIN. Pushing Enter here without entering one, however, will cancel the transaction.
I wonder how common this sort of thing is going to get at the stores that can process debit.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:18 pm

I'm presuming the Santee, CA location is still corporate owned, so it's weird that they'd go NCR elsewhere when the former switched to Ingenico terminals with FreedomPay software despite initially opening with NCR (albeit the newer Lane series and not the iPP ones commonly used at other merchants). No EMV or contactless at that one either, which makes me wonder if they're explicitly keeping the former disabled given that FreedomPay stuff seems to have at least EMV turned on more often than not.

Anyway, another location is going to open near me as soon as they finish building it (they tore down the former restaurant to make room for it), so it should be interesting to see what system that one ends up with.

BTW I'm pretty sure when the Santee one had NCR, contactless was in fact turned on, just the terminal positioning made it difficult to use. They might very well be one of the ones bitten by Visa's EMV contactless mandate, too.
Who knows what Raising Canes is doing. In Alaska they have NCR registers with MX915s properly customer facing and everything appears to be enabled.

For a chain that tries to act so hip, cool, and relevant, you'd think they would be eager to enable NFC.

Boring old McDonalds has had NFC enabled for over a decade.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:22 pm

They may be focused on getting EMV working before next year. After all, there's no change to merchant liability if contactless gets turned on before chip.
Arco is using Verifone registers. I think there are no successful reports of those registers successfully processing EMV on gas pumps yet. Also not sure we've seen those cash registers process an EMV Contactless transaction inside, either... So far we have just seen Radiant (Speedway), Toshiba (Kroger and Safeway), and a number of random Gilbarco cash register using gas stations get the EMV going at the pump.

Safeway's pumps that are processing the EMV in my area are 14+ years old, with an attachment to allow for the EMV to work.

Despite what many station owners are being told, they do not need brand new pumps to do EMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.