Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TTT103
....advantage of tap....
Often faster.
Allows choice of payment device: card, watch, phone.
Allows credit card to replace separate payment card for transit and similar systems.
Eliminates risk of card being retained by unattended kiosk, such as parking meter or vending machine.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
We can add mouse pads to the pro-contactless marketing materials Visa's sending out (or at least I think it's a mouse pad, anyway; it might be too thin):

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
We can add mouse pads to the pro-contactless marketing materials Visa's sending out (or at least I think it's a mouse pad, anyway; it might be too thin):

These are mouse pads? Most stores in my area are using it wrong and placing them on counter tops to let people know you can tap.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
These are mouse pads? Most stores in my area are using it wrong and placing them on counter tops to let people know you can tap.
They do seem to be pretty thin if they are mouse pads, so I'm thinking they're not supposed to be and the stores are actually using them right.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
They do seem to be pretty thin if they are mouse pads, so I'm thinking they're not supposed to be and the stores are actually using them right.
I thought that these were pads to sign a signature slip without damaging the countertop.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I thought that these were pads to sign a signature slip without damaging the countertop.
Kinda ironic they'd still make these since signature's supposed to be gone. (Though it seems like there will be some that take forever to get rid of it, if not always keep it around.)

That said, I didn't need to sign or enter tip at that particular pizza place.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Interested to notice in my emails that Chase seems to have gone back and updated many card designs to reflect the contactless logo on the front. For instance, I received an email with the subject line [Name], earn up to 50,000 bonus miles and within it it depicted a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa with the contactless logo on the front of the card: I also checked the Bonvoy Visa card page and it's reflected on the front of that card now too. Same for the Chase Freedom. My Bonvoy Amex also has the tap logo on the front; however, it's still conspicuously absent on the Amex Blue Cash Everyday.

On one hand I know the card has contactless and my cards are working for that purpose; on the other hand, I sometimes hand over the card to merchants who have tap enabled terminals and instead choose a much slower dip of the card because they look at the front for the chip and don't realize the card is contactless enabled.

I'm not sure if that's the driving force for issuers to update card designs as much as making people aware that a card will work for tap enabled mass transit... or generally to tap the cards themselves at customer facing PINpads.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler
On one hand I know the card has contactless and my cards are working for that purpose; on the other hand, I sometimes hand over the card to merchants who have tap enabled terminals and instead choose a much slower dip of the card because they look at the front for the chip and don't realize the card is contactless enabled.

I'm not sure if that's the driving force for issuers to update card designs as much as making people aware that a card will work for tap enabled mass transit... or generally to tap the cards themselves at customer facing PINpads.
In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter if the contactless logo appears at all; cashiers will still insert for customers instead of tapping. The only time tapping usually occurs is if you're explicitly using a mobile device. This might change over time, however, as the cards become more common.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the Fidelity Visa card is contactless now too:

Contactless technology—Tap to pay for fast, easy, and secure checkouts
Look for the Contactless Symbol at checkout, tap your contactless Fidelity Visa Signature Card on the checkout terminal, and you're good to go. If the merchant doesn't accept contactless payments yet, you can still insert or swipe your card.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:55 pm

I was driving up to Michigan on Saturday, and I stopped at a BP gas station where I had stopped many times before in Chesterton, IN. I noticed the pumps now have contactless readers. Unfortunately, the one at my pump wasn't responsive to my Chase Freedom card, and I didn't see any lights or indications it was active.

Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I was driving up to Michigan on Saturday, and I stopped at a BP gas station where I had stopped many times before in Chesterton, IN. I noticed the pumps now have contactless readers. Unfortunately, the one at my pump wasn't responsive to my Chase Freedom card, and I didn't see any lights or indications it was active.

My local BP's with contactless readers at the pump are now working so the software is available but not at that location yet. It should be rolling out in the near future.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
My local BP's with contactless readers at the pump are now working so the software is available but not at that location yet. It should be rolling out in the near future.
MSD only or does EMV contactless work as well? Per this they were supposed to be field testing EMV last month (at least for Verifone POSes).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:04 am

MSD only or does EMV contactless work as well? Per this they were supposed to be field testing EMV last month (at least for Verifone POSes).
Its MSD only and they use the odd BP/Shell Passport/Commander Hybrid system. The registers are Gilbarco but the main part is a Commander and Shell does something similar with the so called Passport locations.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its MSD only and they use the odd BP/Shell Passport/Commander Hybrid system. The registers are Gilbarco but the main part is a Commander and Shell does something similar with the so called Passport locations.
Interesting. So, either that page doesn't get updated very often and/or a fair number of gas stations have likely slipped their outdoor EMV timelines (which doesn't bode well for the 2020 liability shift).

Also something interesting: most Taco Bells around here still haven't shown up on the MC map. (They do show up in the Google Pay app though and contactless is usable.) I'm fairly sure the map's been updating monthly for the last few months but it's been getting harder to figure out which places newly enable contactless. Has anyone else noticed similar?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:31 am

This location was swipe only for the card, no EMV. I didn't go inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.