Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
No that is Lowes Market in Texas and the ctls is not working at all but it looks like it should be. I took that picture so I know for sure. Also the author took that down when I told him.
That's unfortunate. Glad I asked for confirmation

On another note, other than the logos, the text is exactly what displayed at the UPS Store recently. I doubt they're using the same POS, though.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Apple Pay is official now at In N Out. I suspect something would have to be done about the drive thru but they’re still mounted!
I heard elsewhere that they actually do hand the PIN pad out the window. I kinda wonder if they made other changes to the software as well (such as adding PIN as a supported CVM, even if the majority of transactions will never use it).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
https://www.chase.com/business/debit-cards

Currently looking to see if any personal debit card pages have been updated. https://www.chase.com/contactless still only mentions credit cards, however.

EDIT: couldn't find anything on the personal side. Also, the instructions for requesting a new business debit card aren't actually correct and will require calling in. (I only use that card at the ATM for deposits anyway, so I'm not bothered by waiting until it expires.)
I received a new Chase debit card today and can confirm at lead the personal ones have contactless.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by diburning
Interesting. My local HMart, which I believe is corporate owned, didn't have any EMV info on my receipt. I mentioned that the IBM/Toshiba 4690 that they used might be a really old stock version because I haven't seen that blue screen with that layout since Albertsons had it before they were split three ways and sold back in the early 2000s.
That Toshiba like H-Mart is using with the old blue screens that have a DOS-looking font is definitely an old stock version of the software. I have seen that at random other independents who use the Toshiba though. There is a fairly large cluster of independents run by Associated Wholesale out of Kansas City who use that software/system.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I received a new Chase debit card today and can confirm at lead the personal ones have contactless.
I received a Chase debit card two weeks ago and it was not contactless.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I think you guys may have been straddling the issuance cusp.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
That Toshiba like H-Mart is using with the old blue screens that have a DOS-looking font is definitely an old stock version of the software. I have seen that at random other independents who use the Toshiba though. There is a fairly large cluster of independents run by Associated Wholesale out of Kansas City who use that software/system.
I know of these Price Choppers, half of them Ball and Cosentino's uses NCR while Queen and McKeever's use Toshiba. Also I am finding a few registers without nfc enabled on these Toshiba grocery stores and its the same at Homeland in OKC where I found a register without it working but I was able to use it at an NCR self checkout machine. All of their software seems to be very behind Albertsons/Safeway which now supports EMV contactless and does finally work correctly but it would be nice to be able to bypass the pin if you want to.

Also the 7-Eleven in OKC have a very very odd pos that doesn't even accept chip but still it says insert, swipe or tap card on the iSC250's. Contactless works as expected though. Here is a picture if anyone wants to see it: https://imgur.com/rMHQYCM I wonder if its Gilbarco Passport? The pumps do not accept contactless yet but the nfc readers are indeed installed the older ones and Flexpay IV readers.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdxer
I received a Chase debit card two weeks ago and it was not contactless.
Apparently June 10th was when they started to be contactless if this is to be believed.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:54 am

A 7-11 up the street just ripped out all their pumps and replaced them (along with adding diesel) and the new pumps didnt appear to have contactless.

I'll have to get a closer look.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by PhX1Guy
A 7-11 up the street just ripped out all their pumps and replaced them (along with adding diesel) and the new pumps didnt appear to have contactless.

Probably Flexpay IV sans the contactless readers is what I have seen at many 7-Eleven besides OKC which is a totally different company and has contactless readers.

Also Mitsuwa Marketplace accepts Amex contactless and the receipt lists "Contactless" on it but MC and Visa say "Card must be inserted". They need to enable EMV contactless and the other two should work finally.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhX1Guy

Hopefully it didn't break contactless inside. The one location that has the new pumps has MX915s instead of the iSC250s and thus doesn't let you tap.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I think you guys may have been straddling the issuance cusp.
I was waiting for Chase to begin issuing contactless cards before I opened an account with them. If they didn't give me one, despite it being advertised on the account application (you can pick your card design), then I would've been pretty pissed.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Apparently June 10th was when they started to be contactless if this is to be believed.
Not really a big deal to me. I never use a debit card as a debit card. I use it for ATM transactions only. If I buy something, I either pay cash or use a credit card. A debit card gives you far less protection against fraud and someone can empty your bank account if it gets compromised. With a credit card, it's not my money at risk.

It seems that most of Chase and Bank of America's ATMs are contactless capable now, so I can just use Google Pay and not even need the physical card any longer. That's what I've been doing lately when using the ATM. I believe Chase contactless cards won't work at the ATM as of now, but the same card in Google Pay will work.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
Not really a big deal to me. I never use a debit card as a debit card. I use it for ATM transactions only. If I buy something, I either pay cash or use a credit card. A debit card gives you far less protection against fraud and someone can empty your bank account if it gets compromised. With a credit card, it's not my money at risk.

It seems that most of Chase and Bank of America's ATMs are contactless capable now, so I can just use Google Pay and not even need the physical card any longer. That's what I've been doing lately when using the ATM. I believe Chase contactless cards won't work at the ATM as of now, but the same card in Google Pay will work.
I wouldn't really consider debit cards as having "far" less protection. Per Regulation E and the various "zero liability" policies of the card networks, I'd say they're about the same assuming you catch it in a reasonable amount of time. (Not to mention that if the card's cloned, the cloned card isn't a "valid access device", meaning that not even any of the maximum customer liability tiers are supposed to apply.)

Also, there are a lot of people out there who can't get or won't use credit cards for various reasons. Restricting contactless to credit cards would unnecessarily limit its adoption in the US, especially since banks here are allowed to issue contactless cards without fDDA/offline transaction support.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Taco Bell today, I wasn't able to use EMV (was trying to use my Arrival+ to confirm whether the kiosks are unattended terminals), but I was able to use contactless fine. It was still EMV contactless, too, per the email receipt. Weirdly, the terminal didn't even recognize that anything was inserted at all, so it didn't try to do fallback or anything.

Anyway, I more expect contactless being broken yet EMV being fine, so it was a bit of a surprise that it was the other way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.