Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
(blank message)

Did you mean to post something? Those of us in The South [tm] have been waiting!
Publix deleted their tweet, but they originally said that they were rolling out Apple Pay support to all stores.

Unfortunately, rumor has it that Publix is going to disable NFC support at their Virginia test locations once their payment app goes live. We'll see if that happens.

Originally Posted by ecs0013
Looks like Publix backpedaled, but to add to the list, Marshalls/TJMaxx/HomeGoods, Sam's Club (obviously with Walmart), and Wendy's seem to be the big ones that I can think of.
Here's what the EMV database says about the largest chains that aren't marked as contactless supporting (apologies for formatting):

business_name cnt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
United States Postal Service 24602
Dollar General 12040
Taco Bell 6182
Wendy's 5770
Exxon 5597
Dollar Tree 5241
The UPS Store 4224
Mobil 4143
Walmart 3871
O'Reilly Auto Parts 2355
The Home Depot 1997
Lowe's Home Improvement 1716
Tractor Supply Co. 1501
Kroger 1242
TJ Maxx 1171
Victoria's Secret 1131
JCPenney 1080
Michaels 1033
Marshalls 1013
Maurices 955
Justice 868
Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts 859
LensCrafters 807
Jamba Juice 785
Lane Bryant 764
Publix 755
Stripes Convenience Store 727
Bath & Body Works 722
Carter's 718
Zales 682
Red Lobster 677
Hobby Lobby 656
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store 648
Sam's Club 635
Vitamin Shoppe 611
HomeGoods 573
Big O Tires 523
Granted, some of the above have or will soon have contactless, especially since many were mass added when they only supported EMV and swipe. Plus, there are cases where only some of a particular chain support it (ExxonMobil and possibly Dollar General, for instance). I can update if needed.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I mean cards that don't support PIN at all, e.g. Chase credit cards.

I suspect that if the card supports PIN on contactless, the terminal would prompt for a PIN--similarly to how unattended terminals will prompt for PINs when signature-preferring cards with PIN support (either online or offline in Belgium) are inserted--but I have no way to know for sure since my only American contactless card is a CSR.
On one hand, PIN being asked on Diners Club when tapped would be preferred, but on the other hand, I'm not sure how it matters from a cardholder verification perspective whether you tap and sign or insert and sign. Might be worth a test if me (or someone else) with such a card ends up there.
ecs0013 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contactless on the subway is now live (with video of it working): https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment...th_your_phone/
Old May 31, 2019, 2:37 pm

Looks like AMEX is going to issue all cards with contactless.

https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...pay-without-it

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ntactless.html
Old May 31, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhX1Guy
Apparently you need to re-add your American Express card to Fitbit Pay in order to use it on the subway. Assuming this is to enable EMV contactless, why not have similar notices for the others? It's only been a couple of months since it was enabled on most of the mobile wallets.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Publix deleted their tweet, but they originally said that they were rolling out Apple Pay support to all stores.

Unfortunately, rumor has it that Publix is going to disable NFC support at their Virginia test locations once their payment app goes live. We'll see if that happens.
Yeah that's what it sounds like. Another proprietary pay app:

I'm so sorry. Our team's response was not correct. We are rolling out mobile pay through a Publix.com account to customers in our stores.⁕Abby
And if you scroll back through Publix's replies to other tweets, they make a lot of similar apologies over the last day.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
And if you scroll back through Publix's replies to other tweets, they make a lot of similar apologies over the last day.
Yep. This is what happens when you don't properly vet your social media posts before posting them.

(It would still be nice to have NFC there, though, even if some of us probably won't be anywhere near a Publix any time soon.)
Old May 31, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the MC map updated today. I'm seeing a lot more In-N-Out locations now as well as FedEx Office. No new Taco Bell locations yet around here (other than the ~4 or so that were there before, which don't seem to have contactless yet); the rest will probably take a couple of months to show up though.
scibot likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Why no love for corporate cards?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by D582

Why no love for corporate cards?
I was able to add my corporate AMEX to Google Pay yesterday - that didn't used to work. Agree I'd rather have a dual interface card instead but still progress.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cjw2001
I was able to add my corporate AMEX to Google Pay yesterday - that didn't used to work. Agree I'd rather have a dual interface card instead but still progress.
Not sure about Google Pay, but it’s been supported in Apple Pay for as long as I can remember. But yes, referring to actual contactless cards for corporate
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it possible that the optional PIN preference on the corporate cards is interfering with contactless capability?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Hopefully people will start to get the picture enow... .Or will people continue to resist like a bunch of morons?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Hopefully people will start to get the picture enow... .Or will people continue to resist like a bunch of morons?
I'm not sure it's the cardholders that are resisting...

In smaller population centers, quick-service restaurants will likely play a big role in driving contactless adoption, said Tina Giorgio, president and CEO of ICBA Bancard at the Independent Community Bankers of America.

One example of this phenomenon is in Bangor, Maine, where a local savings bank committed to contactless cards two years ago, far ahead of its peers.

The 54-branch Bangor Savings Bank rolled out contactless Mastercard-branded debit cards in June of 2017 in an area where several outlets of major fast-food and drug store chains were already NFC-enabled.

At Mastercard headquarters, a surge in contactless debit card volume suddenly showed up on the card network’s radar.

“The bank in Bangor just started issuing contactless cards and with no significant marketing, people began using it because of the greater convenience,” said Berke Baydu, director, market product management for cyber and intelligence solutions at Mastercard.
(source)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:38 pm

Is it possible that the optional PIN preference on the corporate cards is interfering with contactless capability?
I could also see it as something that would be part of each contract between Amex and the corporation. If the company wants contactless cards they can have them, but if they don’t want it, they don’t get it. So they add the “consumer card” caveat when saying that US cards will all have contactless.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:38 pm

How would that have an impact? I’m almost never asked for the PIN in the US anyways on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.